Narcissistic Announcement: Vacation Time

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Narcissistic Announcement: Vacation Time

Post by _DonBradley »

All,

I'm here to announce that I'm taking a vacation from discussion here with the exception of scholarly threads on Mormon origins. I've just been putting in waay too much time.

Most of you probably don't care whether I post much in the next couple weeks or not, but I do, and posting this self-centered announcement is probably the best way to get myself to restrict my posting.

Maybe you other MDB junkies should try it. Or we can start an MDBaholics Anonymous.

See you in the Celestial Kingdom,

Don
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Narcissistic Announcement: Vacation Time

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DonBradley wrote:I'm here to announce that I'm taking a vacation from discussion here with the exception of scholarly threads on Mormon origins. I've just been putting in waay too much time.

See you tomorrow! :-)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Actually, I'm extending this beyond a vacation. Looking back at the hundreds or, more likely, thousands of hours I've put into online discussions over the past several years, I'm convinced that it has been my biggest single substitute for research and writing in Mormon studies. Not that it has all been a waste of time by any means. I've made some cool friends and sometimes otherwise gained from the experience. But most of my many hours on the Web have been a very poor investment.

My continuing interest in Mormonism is overwhelmingly historical. I'm pretty certain of my faith position relative to Mormonism, and don't feel the need to "recover" from, criticize, or reform the LDS church. I've had my say on a number of faith-related and other issues pertaining to Mormonism over the decade that I've participated in online discussion about it, and it's time to devote myself more fully to my studies of its history and scripture.

Sooo, from here on I'm going to participate only in scholarly discussions on LDS history and scripture, and then only with such other participants and in such a way that we're likely to mutually learn and benefit from the discussion.

Thank you to my online friends and other interesting discussants. I'll still be around, obviously; but you'll see me only a few threads that are right up my alley.

Don
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

DonBradley wrote:Actually, I'm extending this beyond a vacation. Looking back at the hundreds or, more likely, thousands of hours I've put into online discussions over the past several years, I'm convinced that it has been my biggest single substitute for research and writing in Mormon studies. Not that it has all been a waste of time by any means. I've made some cool friends and sometimes otherwise gained from the experience. But most of my many hours on the Web have been a very poor investment.

My continuing interest in Mormonism is overwhelmingly historical. I'm pretty certain of my faith position relative to Mormonism, and don't feel the need to "recover" from, criticize, or reform the LDS church. I've had my say on a number of faith-related and other issues pertaining to Mormonism over the decade that I've participated in online discussion about it, and it's time to devote myself more fully to my studies of its history and scripture.

Sooo, from here on I'm going to participate only in scholarly discussions on LDS history and scripture, and then only with such other participants and in such a way that we're likely to mutually learn and benefit from the discussion.

Thank you to my online friends and other interesting discussants. I'll still be around, obviously; but you'll see me only a few threads that are right up my alley.

Don

Does that mean no broom closet?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Re: Narcissistic Announcement: Vacation Time

Post by _wenglund »

DonBradley wrote:All,

I'm here to announce that I'm taking a vacation from discussion here with the exception of scholarly threads on Mormon origins. I've just been putting in waay too much time.

Most of you probably don't care whether I post much in the next couple weeks or not, but I do, and posting this self-centered announcement is probably the best way to get myself to restrict my posting.

Maybe you other MDB junkies should try it. Or we can start an MDBaholics Anonymous.

See you in the Celestial Kingdom, Don

Hi Don,

I was hoping that before you went on "vacation" that I would chance running into you at the FAIR Conference today. But, no such luck. However, I spoke briefly with John Gee about the Kinderhook plates and whether to his knowledge they contained any Egyptian characters or close approximations thereto. He said he hadn't examined the Kinderhook facsimilies, but thought it might be a matter of interest to explore--though, he indicated that at least in the near future he currently has a number of other more pressing and important subjects to research instead.

I trust that your time away from the board will prove as productive and refreshing as the time I have spent away.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Blixa wrote:
Does that mean no broom closet?

Yanno I write LOL a lot. But this may be the first time I actually had a gut buster of a laugh. Thanks Blixa!
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Enjoy your vacation, Don, and best of luck in your scholarly pursuits.

KA
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Don who? Oh yeah, that apologist guy.

;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb