parallels (a thought for the day)

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

parallels (a thought for the day)

Post by _Sethbag »

I realize that the word "parallels" has a peculiar meaning in the English language when discussing ideas, however I thought I'd point out something kind of, I think, ironic.

In mathematics, two lines that are parallel will never meet (at least in Euclidean geometry). You can have two lines separated by a thousand light years of distance, and a billion billion billion billion years later, traveling at the speed of light along one of these lines, the separation between the two still be a thousand light years.

Kind of interesting to think about, especially when you read about "parallels" between something Joseph Smith wrote and some tidbit of ancient Israelite or Ugaritic mythology. Parallels never actually meet!
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

I think there's been a definition change. When two computers are parallel processing they work together not completely separately on the same thing. It's a language shift.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo