The restitution of... animal sacrifice!?!?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

The restitution of... animal sacrifice!?!?

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

I ran across this quote today and it blew me away:

Why send Elijah because he holds the Keys of the Authority to
administer in all the ordinances of the priesthood and without the
authority is given the ordinances could not be administered in
righteousness. It is a very prevalent opinion that in the sacrifices of
sacrifices which were offered were entirely consumed, this was not the
case if you read Leviticus [2] Chap [2-3] verses you will observe that
the priests took a part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord,
while the remainder was kept for the benefit maintenance of the priests.
So that the offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the Alter,
but the blood is sprinkled and the fat and certain other portions are
consumed These sacrifices as well as every ordinance belonging to the
priesthood will when the temple of the Lord shall be built and the Sons
Levi be purified be fully restored and attended to then all their powers,
ramifications, and blessings--this the Sons of Levi shall be purified.
ever was and will exist when the powers of the Melchizedek Priesthood
are sufficiently manifest. Else how can the restitution of all things
spoken of by all the Holy Prophets be brought to pass. It is not to be
understood that, the law of moses will be established again with all it
rights and variety of ceremonies, ceremonies, this had never been
spoken off by the prophets but those things which existed prior Moses's
day viz Sacrifice will be continued --It may be asked by some what
necessity for Sacrifice since the great Sacrifice was offered? In answer
to which if Repentance Baptism and faith were necessary to Salvation
existed prior to the days of Christ what necessity for them since that
time [This excerpt is from seemingly the only discourse of Joseph
Smith which was written before being delivered. It was given October
5, 1840. Original manuscript, in hand writing of Robert B. Thompson
(a clerk for Joseph Smith), Archives]

President Brigham Young discussed plans for a room in the Salt Lake Temple to be used
for animal sacrifices: "[Speaking of the temple plan] Under the pulpit in the west end
[Aaronic priesthood end] will be a place to offer sacrifices. There will be an altar
prepared for that purpose so that when any sacrifices are to be offered, they should be
offered there." [Journal of Wilford Woodruff, December 18, 1857, Archives] [Floor plan
drawings done during construction of the Salt Lake Temple do not indicate such a room.]

Smith, William V. A Joseph Smith Commentary on the Book of Abraham: An Introduction to the Study of the Book of Abraham. 2nd ed. Provo, UT: The Book of Abraham Project, 2002, pp. 65-66.

Why did BY never go through with this? Can the Restoration go forward until animal sacrifice is reinstituted? Are there any fundamentalist groups that perform animal sacrifices?

-CK
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

No fundamentalist groups that I know of have done it. Yes, it does need to be done at least once. When? I have no idea. I expect it will be after Armageddon but that is just a guess.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

It was actually going to be a room in the SLC temple where he could ritually deflower teenaged girls.

The blood from animal sacrifices was just a cover story.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

Every now and then the temple ceremonies are changed. We can hope and pray that the glorious day will come that animal sacrifices will once again be performed in the temple. After all, we already have the chef hat and apron, now all we need is the meat.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:It was actually going to be a room in the SLC temple where he could ritually deflower teenaged girls.

The blood from animal sacrifices was just a cover story.

Ahhh, so now the game is to project what you would do if you were Brigham Young.....ohhh, that's scary.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:Every now and then the temple ceremonies are changed. We can hope and pray that the glorious day will come that animal sacrifices will once again be performed in the temple. After all, we already have the chef hat and apron, now all we need is the meat.

You do know that the Chef outfit is a descendant of Jewish Temple Clothing where the Priest was basically cooking a meal.

I for one would be happy to bring a cow to the Temple so they can cook me up a steak.
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Phew! Kamenraider pointed me to some humdingers! I bolded the best ones...

" 'Well, sister Pratt,' says Joe, 'as you have refused me, it becomes sin, unless sacrifice is offered:' and turning to me he said, 'General, if you are my friend I wish you to procure a lamb, and have it slain, and sprinkle the door posts and the gate with its blood, and take the kidneys and the entrails and offer them upon an altar of twelve stones that have not been touched with a hammer, as a burnt offering, and it will save me and my priesthood. Will you do it? 'I will,' I replied. So I procured the lamb from Capt. John T. Barnett, and it was slain by Lieut. Stephen H. Goddard, and I offered the kidneys and entrails in sacrifice for Joe as desired; and Joe said, 'all is now safe -- the destroying angel will pass over, without harming any of us.' "
--John C. Bennett letter to Simeon Francis, editor of the Sangamo Journal, July 5, 1842, (see Wasp Extra, July 27, 1842; Sangamo Journal, July 15, 1842) quoted in Cultures in Conflict by John E. Hallwas and Roger D. Launius, Logan UT: USU Press, 1995, pg. 119.

The Scripture in D&C 84:20-31 reads:
Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses-for the the sons of Moses and also the sons of Aaron shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed.

And D&C 13:1 reads:
Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron, which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of baptism by immersion for the remission of sings; and this shall never be taken again from the earth until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness.

D&C 128: 24 reads:
Behold the great day of the Lord is at hand...he shall purify the sons of Levi and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness. Let us, therefore, as a church and a people, and as Latterday Saints, offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness; and let us present in his holy temple; when it is finished, a book containing the records of our dead, which shall be worthy of all acception.

Another Brigham Young quote:

"When we see a temple built right, there will be a place for the priests to enter and put on their robes, and offer up sacrifices, first for themselves, and then for the people."
--Heber C. Kimball Journal, January 2, 1846, see BYU Studies, Spring 76, Vol. 16 #3, pg. 384.

Oliver B. Huntington had this to say:

"I heard the Prophet [Joseph Smith] reply to the question: 'Will there ever be any more offering of sheep and heifers and bullocks upon altars, as used to be required of Israel?'
He said: 'Yes, there will, for there were never any rites, ordinances or laws in the priesthood of any gospel dispensation on this earth but what will have to be finished and perfected in this the last dispensation of time -- the dispensation of all dispensations.' "
--They Knew the Prophet, by Hyrum L. & Helen Mae Andrus, SLC: Bookcraft, 1974, pg. 62.

This one is from Wandle Mace:

"The Quorum of the Twelve had been filled, but of the number selected one--Willard Richards--was in England and Joseph was instructing those present of that Quorum how they must proceed to prepare themselves, that they might ordain Willard Richards to the Apostleship when they should reach that country. Joseph told them to go to Kirtland and cleanse and purify a certain room in the temple, that they must kill a lamb and offer a sacrifice unto the Lord which should prepare them to ordain Willard Richard a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

Sidney made some remarks, when Joseph spoke with great power and spirit, said he, 'I know the law'. To a remark made by Heber C. Kimball he said, 'It will be the sweetest smelling savor you ever smelled.' "
--Journal of Wandle Mace, typescript, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU, pg. 32.

D&C 124:39 Therefore, verily I say unto you, that your anointings, and your washings, and your baptisms for the dead, and your solemn assemblies, and your memorials for your sacrifices by the sons of Levi, and for your oracles in your most holy places wherein you receive conversations, and your statutes and judgments, for the beginning of the revelations and foundation of Zion, and for the glory, honor, and endowment of all her municipals, are ordained by the ordinance of my holy house, which my people are always commanded to build unto my holy name.

Here's another quote from Wilford Woodfuff's Journal, March 23, 1837:
"Immediately after entering the house [Kirtland Temple] in company with several other Elders, I went within the veil and we bowed down before the Lord in the Aaronic [priesthood] stand and offered a morning sacrifice and the Spirit of God rested upon us with joy to our souls... ."

Here's what the First Presidency (Heber J. Grant, Anthony W. Ivins, and J. Reuben clark, Jr.) had to say:
"The members of the Church are reminded that the practice of polygamous or plural marriage is not the only law whose suspension has been authorized by the Lord and adopted by the people. The law of animal sacrifice, in force in ancient Israel, has been suspended, but the Prophet Joseph asserted it would be again restored, and such is the effect of the statement made by John the Baptist when restoring the Aaronic priesthood. The law of the United Order has likewise been suspended, to be reestablished in the due time of the Lord. Other laws might be mentioned."
--Messages of the First Presidency 5:327

Sidney B. Sperry wrote:
"The First Presidency of the Church once assured me in writing, through a member of the Twelve (in 1921 or 1922 as I remember), that they concurred with the Prophet's words on this point, [the continuation of animal sacrifice in the last days 'from generation to generation' TPJS p. 172] but added that in their opinion sacrifice would be on a more limited scale than formerly."
--Doctrine and Covenants Compendium, SLC: Bookcraft, 1960, pg. 394.

In Joseph Smith's journal for April 2, 1843 (see An American Prophet's Record, ed. by Faulring) we find: "...the 144,000 sealed are the priests who are appointed to administer in the daily sacrifice."

There's an 1845 quote from Zina Diantha Huntington Jacobs (from BYU Studies, Spring 79, V. 19, No. 3, pg. 302) where she describes how an Elder Dunham "spoke of the nations sending up their bullocks for sacrifices or have no rain..." which is an allusion to this Bible passage about life during the millenium:

Zechariah 14:16-21
16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.
18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the LORD will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.
20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD; and the pots in the LORD's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.
21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the LORD of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the LORD of hosts.

-CK
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Yes! Animal sacrafices!

I had a post on FAIR explaining this a long time ago but I can't find any of my posts now..

Prior to the Savior's coming in glory, a special temple will be built in Jackson County and I think Joseph Smith even has the plans, including a place for animal sacrafices. During this time, the lost ten tribes who are hiding as a single body in the north countries will come down with their scriptures and prophets and will be restored to the rest of the Mormons e.g., the ones in Utah who cart off to Jackson county in the last days. Now, because of their idolotry many, many years ago, the lost tribes have to repent and remember, they still have only the Aaronic priesthood, and the Levites will need to "fulfill the (lower) law" by offering animal sacrafices in that temple. This will also be part of the restoration of all things.

So if any of you live in or around Jackson County, a keep a sheep or two on hand, I'd bring 'em inside for a while if you ever see the are filling up with Mormons.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

ckid,

if you want to know what chapel Mormons believe - at least the ones raising families in the 70's and 80's, you need to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Prophecy-Key-Futu ... 0884940969

Every Mormon library in utah has at least one copy.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gadianton wrote:ckid,

if you want to know what chapel Mormons believe - at least the ones raising families in the 70's and 80's, you need to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Prophecy-Key-Futu ... 0884940969

Every Mormon library in utah has at least one copy.

That's a fun book.