Rumor intrigue and paranoia

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Rumor intrigue and paranoia

Post by _Tarski »

This post might get immediately flunked into the off topic forum. If so, fine--follow it.

Anyway, I have never been much of a PM-er. I have a total of 35 message in my inbox from just a handfull of people and about the same number in my sent box I don't think I have had to delete any yet)
At MAD/FAIR I have not much more even though I have posted over 5000 posts! (OK I deleted a few but not many)

So, recently I got the impression that there is a lot more PMing going on than I thought. At first I told myself that maybe I should be more social and start to PM people a bit more on various topics.
But then it happened; I got a paranoid thought catalyzed by something. The picture was, that while on the surface the board is amazingly friendly and cool, maybe there is a blizzard of PMs going on in the background that supports a sort of seething underbelly of rumor and intrigue (which I think would be kinda uncool or even disturbing). The same question could be asked about the MAD board.

Is that just a paranoid thought flashing into the mind of an ex pot smoker or is it possible?

What say ye friends?
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Are there rumor and intrigue going on behind the scenes of this board? Heck yeah!

I'll tell you all about it via PM! ;) LOL!

Leader of the PM conspiracy,

KA

:P
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

PM underground allies is a favorite tactic of some trolls. I've been tempted to do a few PMs around here but generally I see that as gossiping behind others' backs. Now mind you that's not what everyone uses it for. Many of my received PMs are from Runtu and he's hardly a gossiper in my opinion. Personally I prefer putting things out in the open in case anyone else has interest too.

I've never really suspected much of a PM ring going on. However, I have wondered what happens with the chat rooms on this board.

My stats: about 20 PMs received with about 15 sent.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

asbestosman wrote:
My stats: about 20 PMs received with about 15 sent.

That means you ignored 5 people! LOL
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Are there rumor and intrigue going on behind the scenes of this board? Heck yeah!

I'll tell you all about it via PM! ;) LOL!

Leader of the PM conspiracy,

KA

:P

:(
Jee, how come I never get told anything?
wah wah (he cried)
LOL
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I get quite a few PMs.....most of them are people telling me I either rule or suck big time. Not many earth shattering PMs though.......alot of them say "oh crap I screwed up, fix this image for me" or "this post needed moderating". And alot of chitchat mostly....like a chatroom but slower.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

I don't get many PMs, here or on MADB, and it really doesn't bother me (I also tend to irk both "sides" in various ways, which is a good thing). Those who PM obviously tend to be of like mind, though I've received PMs from posters I've "traditionally" opposed (very few though), including Tarski, who I think is a fair-minded person. I've grown to like and respect some of my traditional opponents, but even some good ego stroking would not change my mind on issues, unless I became convinced the arguments were good. Gossip behind the scenes? Of course it happens, because that's human nature. Who the hell cares? If I worried too long about what people thought about me, on MBs or in real life, and I'm sure there's more gossip in real life, I'd be a candidate for the mental ward.

Here's a more important question in my mind? Do the mods ever read PMs? Access for them would be as easy as drinking water. Honest now, mods. Frankly, though I could be wrong, I find it difficult to believe that they don't sometimes peek into PMs.

(Back to packing. Freedom begins next week.)
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Ray A wrote:Here's a more important question in my mind? Do the mods ever read PMs? Access for them would be as easy as drinking water. Honest now, mods. Frankly, though I could be wrong, I find it difficult to believe that they don't sometimes peek into PMs.

I don't know about administrators (which is what Shades/keene/Negative are)...but moderators (me and liz) can't read PM's here. We don't have access to or even the opportunity to read PMs.
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Tarski,

I just think you are really, really popular. :)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Ray A wrote:Here's a more important question in my mind? Do the mods ever read PMs? Access for them would be as easy as drinking water. Honest now, mods. Frankly, though I could be wrong, I find it difficult to believe that they don't sometimes peek into PMs.

I don't know about administrators (which is what Shades/keene/Negative are)...but moderators (me and liz) can't read PM's here. We don't have access or the opportunity to read PMs.

Also...frankly...if you know anything about my history....MY PM"s were read by other Mods when I was a Mod on FAIR.

I think it's an invasion of privacy, and would never do it even if I could.