Do mainstream Christians believe...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Do mainstream Christians believe...

Post by _Tarski »

Do mainstream Christians believe that Jesus God has a body or not?
I assume they think he bodily resurrected. But if Jesus has a mammal body now then so does God the Father since according to trinitarianism they are one. (of course, the Holy Ghost is God too in this picutre but nobody seems to care--he's the odd man out).

If Jesus God no longer has a body then what was the point of the resurrection? Showing off?

Oh and what was the biology of the mother alien in Aliens? (shout out to silent kid. LOL)
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

In speaking with several mainstream Christian friends, this is what they believe. This may or may not be the official standing of their churches...just what they, themselves, have come to believe:

Jesus is God incarnate. He took the form of a man and allowed himself to be killed and resurrected to atone for our sins.

Jesus and God the Father are one and the same. He took the form of a man, and chose to have a body, but no longer has need of one. Because He is God, he can always appear in the form of a man if he chooses to.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

liz3564 wrote:In speaking with several mainstream Christian friends, this is what they believe. This may or may not be the official standing of their churches...just what they, themselves, have come to believe:

Jesus is God incarnate. He took the form of a man and allowed himself to be killed and resurrected to atone for our sins.

Jesus and God the Father are one and the same. He took the form of a man, and chose to have a body, but no longer has need of one. Because He is God, he can always appear in the form of a man if he chooses to.

So where did Jesus put his resurrected body after he got through showing off with the resurrection thingy. Back in the tomb? LOL
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Tarski wrote:
liz3564 wrote:In speaking with several mainstream Christian friends, this is what they believe. This may or may not be the official standing of their churches...just what they, themselves, have come to believe:

So where did Jesus put his resurrected body after he got through showing off with the resurrection thingy. Back in the tomb? LOL

Well, no .... in the book of Acts, he is physically taken up.

Acts 1:9 (From the Bible.com website)

9After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

I always wondered about this one myself.

Actually, I have this really strange theory, which I have since heard was part of a book once (called Where Are You Going, Human?), in which Jesus was actually half-alien in a DNA experiment from another race somewhere in our galaxy. They took him up so that he wouldn't be exposed. He wasn't really "resurrected", because he didn't die, he just went into a form of suspended animation so that his body could heal itself.

Hey, could be .... maybe I should write a book, or start a religion ...
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Do mainstream Christians believe...

Post by _moksha »

Tarski wrote: (of course, the Holy Ghost is God too in this picutre but nobody seems to care--he's the odd man out).

Interestingly, some Mormons have speculated that Joseph Smith became the new Holy Ghost. That would however, really frost Joseph will all those fully restored nubile wives and no body with a flaming sword.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Tarski wrote:Do mainstream Christians believe that Jesus God has a body or not?
I assume they think he bodily resurrected. But if Jesus has a mammal body now then so does God the Father since according to trinitarianism they are one. (of course, the Holy Ghost is God too in this picutre but nobody seems to care--he's the odd man out).

If Jesus God no longer has a body then what was the point of the resurrection? Showing off?

Oh and what was the biology of the mother alien in Aliens? (shout out to silent kid. LOL)

Hi! Mainstream Christianity does indeed believe that Jesus rose from the dead with His Resurrected Body. Yes, they do believe that Jesus still has His Resurrected Body. The Following information is from CARM (Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry):

His death and the atonement
Jesus bore the sins of the world (1 John 2:2) in His body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24).
He was a propitiation, a satisfaction to God that appeased God's wrath.
He atoned. He made right that which was wrong between us and God. His shed blood is what cleanses us from sin (Lev. 17:11; Heb. 9:22; Rom. 5:9; 1 John 1:7-9).
He removed the enmity between God and Man (Rom. 5:10).
For whom did He die? - Some say for the sheep (Christians) only (John 10:11,15).
The Sheep are the Christians. The Goats are the non-Christians (Matt. 25:32-46).
Others say He died for everyone (1 John 2:2). Each side has good arguments.
The Resurrection of Christ (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:1-4).
Jesus rose in the same body that He died in (John 2:19-21; Luke 24:36-43).
Jesus' body is ‘resurrected.' We do not know exactly what His body is like, but the nature of the resurrected body is discussed by Paul in 1 Cor. 15:35-58.

( http://www.carm.org/doctrine/christiandoctrine2.htm )
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Yes. According to mainstream Christianity Jesus has a physical body, though it is somehow quickened or spiritualized at present.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

What's this? Someone actually asking what MC's believe? Wow...

Do mainstream Christians believe that Jesus God has a body or not?

Yes.

I assume they think he bodily resurrected. But if Jesus has a mammal body now then so does God the Father since according to trinitarianism they are one.

No, you don't understand MC trinity doctrine.

(of course, the Holy Ghost is God too in this picutre but nobody seems to care--he's the odd man out).

Tell that to LDS apologists. Okay, this is about MC's. I'll shut up for now on that.

No, showing the way. And I disagree that MC doctrine agrees that Jesus God no longer has a body.

Jersey Girl

(Not to be confused with Jesus God)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Tarski wrote:Oh and what was the biology of the mother alien in Aliens? (shout out to silent kid. LOL)

I'm still working on this. That acidic, blood-like substance is proving to be tricky. ;)
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Tarski wrote:Do mainstream Christians believe that Jesus God has a body or not?

This is a good question and one that I have asked with a variety of results. But it does seem to cause a conundrum for historic trinitarians. If Jesus has a body how does this personage remain one essence with the Father and Holy Ghost? I He has His body does he have an experience that the Father does not? If he was one and in essence and substance one with the Father and HG, then did this part of the Godhead change in that he now has a body? If he does have a body how can he be omnipresent with the rest of the personages of the godhead? If not then what was the point of the resurrection? The body seemed crucial enough to bring back. Why would he go to the effort to prove to His apostle he has the body?

The list goes on.