Calling Daniel Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_evolving
_Emeritus

Post by _evolving »

I will venture a guess that Bishop Peterson is already way too busy to answer this question. he is now spending 20+ hours a week hearing confessions from the hundreds of hormone filled youth rounding 2nd & 3rd base. or preping his "Proper use of a Seer Stone" sermon for next sunday.
_evolving
_Emeritus

Post by _evolving »

or he may be possibly using this method

_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Bump!
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

or maybe this
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

What on earth do you want?

I suppose that, in that off hand comment from -- what? -- ten years ago, I had reference to whatever FARMS had published on the subject by that point and to the references contained in whatever FARMS had published. I could try to research and figure out what that was at that particular time, but then, so could you, and just as easily.

Horses in the Book of Mormon are not a particular interest of mine. I've invited Scratch One to contact the Maxwell Institute, where people who actually follow this question reside. Anybody else is just as free to do that.

Good luck!

I know that you want to drag me into some interminable thing here that is supposed to end with me granting out of sheer exhaustion that we made it all up and that we're frauds and mopologist hacks. That isn't going to happen, so don't waste the effort.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

We've already looked into FARM's "horse evidence", and it's a dead end.

Thanks for responding.

Oh, missed this:

I know that you want to drag me into some interminable thing here that is supposed to end with me granting out of sheer exhaustion that we made it all up and that we're frauds and mopologist hacks. That isn't going to happen, so don't waste the effort.

Yes, Dan, that is exactly what we want you to do.

Seriously, I realized long ago the real "true believers" in Mormonism aren't chapel believers, most of whom had never heard of this stuff, but people like you because it is clear nothing would sway you from your belief. I just wanted to know what "latest research" you were talking about was. You did admit what I wanted you to admit, that it was just the same old FARMS stuff that hasn't panned out yet.

(sorry for all the edits)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

beastie wrote:We've already looked into FARM's "horse evidence", and it's a dead end.

So you say.

beastie wrote:Thanks for responding.

You're welcome.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

And again it all comes down to this: FARMS exists to reassure chapel Mormons, not to convince critics. For every critic on this board frustrated by the lack of apologetic integrity, there are many thousands of chapel Mormons out there saying, "There is all kinds of evidence for the Book of Mormon. Haven't you ever heard of FARMS?" Good job, Peterson!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:And again it all comes down to this: FARMS exists to reassure chapel Mormons, not to convince critics. For every critic on this board frustrated by the lack of apologetic integrity, there are many thousands of chapel Mormons out there saying, "There is all kinds of evidence for the Book of Mormon. Haven't you ever heard of FARMS?" Good job, Peterson!

LM,

Would you say that is because folks are more likely to (1) buy into what is presented to them by FARMS because they believe that what is produced by active Mormons must be accurate (2) because they have been conditioned to believe that critics (be they ex-LDS or other) are influenced by the Adversary?

Or is it a case of the paths never crossing to begin with?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

beastie wrote:
We've already looked into FARM's "horse evidence", and it's a dead end.

So you say.

Yes, I say so, and with good reason. Every single assertion that seemed to support the horse fell apart with analysis. You should look here as well:

http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/vi ... php?t=2633

edit on - actually I forgot you participated on that thread, so you are already well aware of the inadequacy of this evidence. Why do you pretend otherwise?

Of course, if there's some "latest research" I should be reading, I could be wrong. But if the "latest research" is just the FARMs assertions that we were discussing in the first place, then I'm not wrong.

Penn & Teller