Is the Church Trying to Muzzle the SL Trib?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

barrelomonkeys wrote:I get my local, my regional, and a national paper.

I imagine there are still quite a few people that get most of their news from papers.

Of course more Americans probably get their news from the Daily Show than anywhere else.
Actually that is disappearing.

I'd guess that newsprint will disappear in 20 years. The newspaper industry is scared to death of this. For you being the age you are and admitting you still subscribe to the physical paper is odd. In my experience, most folks under 40 do not get news from the paper.

My biggest complaint about newspaper is that most of it is advertisements.

I get my news from the net. Most newspapers have websites. I can go there or cnn/yahoo/msnbc/usatoday/etc to get the news that matters to me WITHOUT the bulk of the paper an having to thumb through the tripe, filler stories, and gawd awful amount of ads.

Anytime the local city paper calls to spam me with an offer to "get the paper" I tell them I get all of my news online, some from their own site, for free!

When they try to keep me on the line with, "Well, we have many valuable coupons that will save you money in our paper!", I just tell them I think that coupons are dishonest and I like paying full price for everything because I can. That shuts them right up.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:I get my local, my regional, and a national paper.

I imagine there are still quite a few people that get most of their news from papers.

Of course more Americans probably get their news from the Daily Show than anywhere else.
Actually that is disappearing.

I'd guess that newsprint will disappear in 20 years. The newspaper industry is scared to death of this. For you being the age you are and admitting you still subscribe to the physical paper is odd. In my experience, most folks under 40 do not get news from the paper.

My biggest complaint about newspaper is that most of it is advertisements.

I get my news from the net. Most newspapers have websites. I can go there or cnn/yahoo/msnbc/usatoday/etc to get the news that matters to me WITHOUT the bulk of the paper an having to thumb through the tripe, filler stories, and gawd awful amount of ads.

Anytime the local city paper calls to spam me with an offer to "get the paper" I tell them I get all of my news online, some from their own site, for free!

When they try to keep me on the line with, "Well, we have many valuable coupons that will save you money in our paper!", I just tell them I think that coupons are dishonest and I like paying full price for everything because I can. That shuts them right up.

I didn't say the majority, I said I imagine there are still many that still get their news from papers.

My local paper I like because I live in a pretty backwoods community. The first thing I flip to is the "sound off" forum where people call in with comments and complaints. "George Bush is Satan." "Someone needs to come clean up the dead deer on route 32". "The coach of so and so baseball team was a poor sport and needs to be fired" "Illegal immigrants are bottom feeders" That sort of entertainment. Back yard entertainment if you will. Also the letters to the editors are priceless!

My local paper also tells me how corrupt and incompetent my local representatives are. And I always enjoy reading about the various embarrassments of my elected officials.

I get my regional paper because I like to follow the state capitol news. I suppose being a newsjunkie for 15+ years I've gotten used to holding it, folding it and drinking coffee. It's a ritual for me.

I get the national paper because I like the format and same sort of ritualism for me.

But the main reason I get them is for the Sudouku puzzles. I hate doing them on the net. I curl up on the sofa and work em. Every day.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

In any event, that could explain at least partially how the money is being handled. I presume it's tied up in investments. I wonder what kind of a financial return the Church will get on their investment? I doubt it's as good as other investment options.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Is the Church Trying to Muzzle the SL Trib?

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Mister Scratch wrote:Journalism has long been seen as a kind of "counterbalance" against the powers-that-be. I can tell you pretty confidently that most serious journalists see having a "critical voice" as absolutely fundamental to their ethics, and not "shallow" at all. Of course the Trib is not "solely" about criticizing the LDS Church. But removing it as a critical voice is most definitely a blow to journalistic integrity in Utah.

I would think that impartiality would be far more fundamental to journalistic ethics than being a "critical voice."
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski