Is the Church Trying to Muzzle the SL Trib?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Re: Is the Church Trying to Muzzle the SL Trib?

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Well, given the above article, I beg to differ.

I don't get my news from the Trib... so I beg to differ.

One two three four, I declare a thumb war.

How many other Utah-based papers, operating from right in the thick of things, publish articles pertaining to Mormonism? I get my news from other sources too, Steuss, but in terms of critical journalistic voices on the LDS Church, the SL Trib is non pareil.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Mister Scratch wrote:How many other Utah-based papers, operating from right in the thick of things, publish articles pertaining to Mormonism? I get my news from other sources too, Steuss, but in terms of critical journalistic voices on the LDS Church, the SL Trib is non pareil.

Being located in-between Sodom and Gomorrah here in Lost Wages, I suppose I can’t really pick a fight in this one. I really don’t have any experience as to the media outlets available to people within Utah, so I guess I’ll bow out.

But... as to your question, I assume you meant "How many Utah-based papers, operating from in the thick of things, publish articles pertaining to [critical aspects of] Mormonism?" (?)

in my opinion,
If the sole purpose of a newspaper is to provide a critical voice towards an entity, it is a rather shallow newspaper and not worth its salt. Don’t know if that’s what the Trib’s sole purpose tends to be though...
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mister Scratch wrote:Perhaps I should begin weeping and proclaiming how much I love Big Brother right now?

Big Brother is watching you.

Mister Scratch wrote:As soon as the Church purchases Sunstone and Dialogue, it can do away with the SCMC altogether!

What? They'd still need to purchase your blog--nay, your entire online persona--before totally closing that gig.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:How many other Utah-based papers, operating from right in the thick of things, publish articles pertaining to Mormonism? I get my news from other sources too, Steuss, but in terms of critical journalistic voices on the LDS Church, the SL Trib is non pareil.

Being located in-between Sodom and Gomorrah here in Lost Wages, I suppose I can’t really pick a fight in this one. I really don’t have any experience as to the media outlets available to people within Utah, so I guess I’ll bow out.

But... as to your question, I assume you meant "How many Utah-based papers, operating from in the thick of things, publish articles pertaining to [critical aspects of] Mormonism?" (?)

in my opinion,
If the sole purpose of a newspaper is to provide a critical voice towards an entity, it is a rather shallow newspaper and not worth its salt. Don’t know if that’s what the Trib’s sole purpose tends to be though...

Journalism has long been seen as a kind of "counterbalance" against the powers-that-be. I can tell you pretty confidently that most serious journalists see having a "critical voice" as absolutely fundamental to their ethics, and not "shallow" at all. Of course the Trib is not "solely" about criticizing the LDS Church. But removing it as a critical voice is most definitely a blow to journalistic integrity in Utah.
_ktallamigo
_Emeritus

Post by _ktallamigo »

Media consolidation is rampant these days, another example: Rupert Murdoch acquiring the Wall Street Journal. There used to be regulations governing media ownership, but the FCC has loosened up during the last two decades, and especially during the Bush administration.

Of course the Church wants to silence dissent. For many years the Trib was a thorn.

Hope they don't get their hands on the little "Salt Lake City Weekly."
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

asbestosman wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Perhaps I should begin weeping and proclaiming how much I love Big Brother right now?

Big Brother is watching you.
Hey! It's truck driver big brother!

Many refer to this image as "truck driver Jesus" because he, well, looks like a truck driver in that portrayal.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

You guys don't know about the Trib's beginning and end is connected to the Mountain Meadows Massacre?

If I have time Sunday, I'll narrate the historical connections.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I get my local, my regional, and a national paper.

I imagine there are still quite a few people that get most of their news from papers.

Of course more Americans probably get their news from the Daily Show than anywhere else.
_Loquacious Lurker
_Emeritus

Post by _Loquacious Lurker »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Image

Many refer to this image as "truck driver Jesus" because he, well, looks like a truck driver in that portrayal.

Nah. That picture is of "surfer Jesus".
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Of course more Americans probably get their news from the Daily Show than anywhere else.

Perhaps I am more normal than I assumed.

I look forward to Blixa's history of the Salt Lake Tribune.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace