"I know something you don't know." Acceptable argu

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

"I know something you don't know." Acceptable argu

Post by _skippy the dead »

Why is it that the mysterious "I know something you don't, but if you knew it, you would totally agree with me that so-and-so doesn't know what she's talking about" is somehow an acceptable argument?

I was reading this thread over on MAD about Carol Lynn Pearson (since some people are entirely too worked up over whether she should be "allowed" to be LDS), along with the linked FAIR review of her book "No More Goodbyes". And toward the end, the reviewer writes this:

The Matises have provided this author with additional information about Stuart's suicide that was not included in their book. Perhaps, at some point in time, they will feel comfortable in sharing this information with the public--such information would negate Pearson's theories on suicides.

It seems to me that if you are publishing a paper that at least purports to be academic, this sort of statement should not be included. If I were ever to submit a paper for publication at any respected journal, I would never be allowed to get away with such a wink and nod to support my position. And yet, we see this same kind of "secret information" defense trotted out every so often on MAD.

If FAIR wishes to make any attempt to maintain credibility, it needs to get rid of such statements in its published works. Either the Matises need to give that reviewer permission to publish the information, or the reviewer needs to drop that paragraph from his work. It's intellectually dishonest.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I went to the review just to make sure the author wasn't Dr. Peterson. He's been known to engage in this in the past.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

beastie wrote:I went to the review just to make sure the author wasn't Dr. Peterson. He's been known to engage in this in the past.

Must have been one of his little followers.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
beastie wrote:I went to the review just to make sure the author wasn't Dr. Peterson. He's been known to engage in this in the past.

Must have been one of his little followers.

Maybe it's in the publication's standards manual?
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

When you're defending something for which there's no proof or even a reasonable explanation, it's common to use the "I know something you don't know" strategy in order to add weight to your flimsy argument. If people are susceptible to the personal revelation "evidence" they'll certainly be receptive to that strategy.

In other words, these people will buy just about anything. Mormon apologetics are an exercise in joke telling, if you think about it.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Some Schmo wrote: If people are susceptible to the personal revelation "evidence" they'll certainly be receptive to that strategy.

LOL
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

skippy the dead,

I think I must agree. I certainly wouldn't consider it an 'argument' in any meaningful sense of the word.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: "I know something you don't know." Acceptable

Post by _harmony »

skippy the dead wrote:Why is it that the mysterious "I know something you don't, but if you knew it, you would totally agree with me that so-and-so doesn't know what she's talking about" is somehow an acceptable argument?

I was reading this thread over on MAD about Carol Lynn Pearson (since some people are entirely too worked up over whether she should be "allowed" to be LDS), along with the linked FAIR review of her book "No More Goodbyes". And toward the end, the reviewer writes this:

Once again, I would like to remind everyone that not everyone on this board can read the MAD board. Some of us have been judged as so irredeemable, so evil that we are blocked from even reading it.

So please, if you must discuss a thread from MAD, post the relevant parts of the thread here, not a link, because many of us cannot read that board.

Thanks.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

skippy the dead wrote:Why is it that the mysterious "I know something you don't, but if you knew it, you would totally agree with me that so-and-so doesn't know what she's talking about" is somehow an acceptable argument?

In my book it's just an unacceptable excuse.....if they're going to pull that crap they should either give up the "thing they know" or should shut up.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

harmony wrote:

Once again, I would like to remind everyone that not everyone on this board can read the MAD board. Some of us have been judged as so irredeemable, so evil that we are blocked from even reading it.

So please, if you must discuss a thread from MAD, post the relevant parts of the thread here, not a link, because many of us cannot read that board.

Thanks.

I know something about MADB that you don't know.