Book Recommendations re LDS culture

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Book Recommendations re LDS culture

Post by _beastie »

What books would you recommend for a never-been-mormon who would like to understand more about Mormonism - its theology and also its culture?

I'm kind of stuck on this, because the books I've read are largely about one facet of Mormon history. I can't think of any books that do a good job talking about the culture.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Book Recommendations re LDS culture

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie wrote:What books would you recommend for a never-been-mormon who would like to understand more about Mormonism - its theology and also its culture?

I'm kind of stuck on this, because the books I've read are largely about one facet of Mormon history. I can't think of any books that do a good job talking about the culture.

I'd recommend that they get to know LDS but if that's not possible, I recall that the book Mama, Mormonism and Me by Granny Geer was helpful and also Rough Rolling Stone by Richard L. Bushman.

Quite honestly, something that helped me bring most things into focus was reading all of the personal stories on RFM. But still, I had many LDS friends and long term relationships to draw on, so I probably knew more about the culture from that. There are some aspects of LDS culture that are so positive and I hope whomever you are asking this question for, comes to see that.

I'd stay away from things like The Mormon Puzzle and The God Makers...way too over the top in both cases and I don't think there was any sort of appreciation for LDS culture as I recall.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

Green Jell-O and Red Punch: The Heinous Truth About Utah
Linkage

Probably one of the most entertainingly humorous books on Utah culture.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

I don't think you can go past Thomas O'Dea's The Mormons. Dated, but still quite relevant.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

A nice insiders view might be a biography of a prophet. Lots of litle tidbits as well as doctrine.

Truman Madsens "The Presidents of the Church" is good, and its also on CD.

And Joseph Fielding McConkies biography he wrote about his dad is also very good. Culture and doctrine are both well represented.

The Bruce R. McConkie Story: Reflections of a Son

Deseret Book: SKU: 4622922
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Another idea might be to read works of fiction designed for LDS audience. Deseret book has a selection. I remember reading a fiction book intended for young, unmarried youth about a young women learning to gain more self confidence that could help a never mo understand more about the culture.

http://deseretbook.com/

Or reading books by GA on how to better live the gospel may help, as may going to lds.org and reading past issues of the New Era and the Ensign.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Beastie, that's a great idea about the literature for youth.