SL TRIB presentation: At home with a plural family

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

SL TRIB presentation: At home with a plural family

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Why would I like this?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Seemed like a nice family. No child brides and the children looked well cared for.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Kind of like Hugh Heffner...

Only the kids don't get individual attention from their father as often.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I sort of felt sorry for the children as they apparently do not get to spend much time with their father.

What concerns me about polygamy and the current laws dealing with marriage is this; if the non-legal wives were to decide to leave they would have a great deal of difficulty petitioning a court for any equity or other property that they might have shared with the other spouses. Hopefully that isn't something that happens often, although if and when it does I could see that it would leave the woman at a great disadvantage in terms of moving on with her life.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

First...
As teenagers, they all dated in and outside their culture. Gary was 18 when he realized "I wasn't going to be fulfilled [in monogamy]. There was more for me, not in terms of women, but what I wanted out of life."

Then...
Gary adds: "To me, if I'm going to attain the highest degree of perfection, it's going to require me to sacrifice my own selfish interest to live this way."

Funny.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

The Nehor wrote:Why would I like this?
From your comments on this thread:
I've seen polygamy and polyamory work and the participants are happy. I don't see it as a monstrosity.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

What this video clip shows is that polygamy is really not about any sort of marriage at all. The term, "plural marraige" is a misnomer. A harem lifestyle is more accurate.

This living arrangement has little if anything to do with real marriage.

More like three women living together, with 21 children, and a man hanging out a bit with the group of 24. The man does not really parent the children (how can one man appropriately parent 21 children) nor does he seem like anything more than a sperm donor/neighborly friend. The husband/wife intimate relationship (I'm not talking about sex here), doesn't seem to even exist, (how could it). He seems to get his list of chores, takes turns with the women, (two are not wives), and calls it good.

I think this harem lifestyle is great for ADULT women who do not enjoy the intimacy of a real marriage, and for those adult women who want to spend their time with other women rather than a husband.

~dancer~
Last edited by Bing [Bot] on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

barrelomonkeys wrote:I sort of felt sorry for the children as they apparently do not get to spend much time with their father.

What concerns me about polygamy and the current laws dealing with marriage is this; if the non-legal wives were to decide to leave they would have a great deal of difficulty petitioning a court for any equity or other property that they might have shared with the other spouses. Hopefully that isn't something that happens often, although if and when it does I could see that it would leave the woman at a great disadvantage in terms of moving on with her life.

Even though the women aren't legally married to the guy, they could still sue for child support, though. As long as the man is determined to be the father, his wages could be garnished for child support.

Now, the other properties involved would be stickier because there is no legal marriage.

I haven't had a chance to actually view the video...just read some of the transcript comments. (I can't view it here at work).

Did it mention what this guy does for a living? Are the wives all working? Is the government supporting this lifestyle? If they're collecting welfare, food stamps, etc., that's what bothers me.

I don't think that my tax dollars should be paying for someone's lifestyle choice. If this guy "plays", he better pay.

I don't mind contributing to the welfare system for single Moms who are trying to do something with their lives and have been through a rough time, but that's not what's going on here.