Did he do it for the sex?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Mercury wrote:
Ray A wrote:
truth dancer wrote:If Joseph Smith were alive today, I feel quite certain he would be locked away or seriously medicated.

In all fairness, TD, I think the same could be said of Jesus Christ. Do you agree? Remember, it was C.S.Lewis who wrote that Jesus was either who he really claimed to be - or a madman. Lewis went with the former.

The law at the time gave both con men what they deserved.

Wow. I knew you were anti-Mormon. I didn't realize you were anti-Christ as well.

You really believe that Jesus was a con man?
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Mercury wrote:
Ray A wrote:
truth dancer wrote:If Joseph Smith were alive today, I feel quite certain he would be locked away or seriously medicated.

In all fairness, TD, I think the same could be said of Jesus Christ. Do you agree? Remember, it was C.S.Lewis who wrote that Jesus was either who he really claimed to be - or a madman. Lewis went with the former.

Amazing. Both were murdered illegally. Merc continues to be a murderer in his hear.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Ray A wrote:

Wow. I knew you were anti-Mormon. I didn't realize you were anti-Christ as well.

Merc is an irrational religion hater. All religion. His comments like this reveal some real deep anger issues. He needs help.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Ray A wrote:

They both claimed to be something that they were not. Jesus was the che guevara of his time in Palestine.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Jason Bourne wrote:
liz3564 wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Ray A wrote:

Merc is an irrational religion hater. All religion. His comments like this reveal some real deep anger issues. He needs help.

Jason is an irrational logician hater. All rational thought. His comments like this reveal some real deep anger issues. He needs help and a stickectomy from his ass.
Lost in time
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Post by _mocnarf »

I too have wonder why Joseph didn't have more children. There are any children recorded by any of his other wives are there?

Not all sexual activity is necessarily vaginal.... Could it be Joseph liked the kind of sex that Emma was unwilling to give?
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

mocnarf wrote:I too have wonder why Joseph didn't have more children. There are any children recorded by any of his other wives are there?

Not all sexual activity is necessarily vaginal.... Could it be Joseph liked the kind of sex that Emma was unwilling to give?

Do you mean A2M?
Lost in time
_Seven
_Emeritus

Re: Did he do it for the sex?

Post by _Seven »

Dr. Shades wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:It has oft been pointed out that Joseph Smith did not have sex with all the women he married, so how can that have been his motivation?

Whenever I hear that assertion, I always think, "How do we know that he didn't have sex with all the women he married?"

People point out that he married some women in late middle-age. Well, just because most men Joseph's age wouldn't normally find themselves sexually attracted to women with such an age disparity, doesn't mean Joseph didn't.

We all know Joseph was hypersexual. So, again I ask:

Where is the evidence that Joseph didn't have sex with all the women he married?

Exactly. If I were in my forties or fifties and heard people automatically discount these wives as unconsumated marriages based on their age, I would be offended. I sure hope my DH finds me sexually attractive when I am their age!
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Mocnarf... :-)

I too have wonder why Joseph didn't have more children.

A few ideas... first, if a guy is married (legally), and is having several secret affairs, he is most likely not able to be with the other women every single night. Lets say he visits one extra woman a week, (assuming he is having a normal relationship with his actual wife). OK, so lets say there are only ten extra woman rather than the 30-40 Joseph Smith had. That would mean he is visiting each of the ten women only once every three months or so. Unnlikely he would catch them at the right time.

Secondly, people were not stupid. If it was not in the best interest of Joseph Smith to have children, they had available to them, several forms of birth control that while not completely effective would decrease the likelihood of impregnation.

There are any children recorded by any of his other wives are there?

Well... my guess is yes. Some DNA tests have been run, but as I predicted, we would only hear of results that showed those who were NOT Joseph Smith's descendants. In addition, last I heard there were some who were likely to be descendants who were not tested. Finally, there are those who believe they are descendants of Joseph Smith, alive today.

Why would you assume Emma was unwilling to "give" various forms of sex? The fact that men can engage in various sexual activity does not suggest Emma was unwilling to engage in these activities.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

I have an open invitation for anyone to show me where the doctrine of polygamy changed between Joseph Smith and BY.

Barring this, I don't see why we should believe that it was being practiced any differently by Joseph Smith than BY practiced it, other than they were now in Utah and there was no more need to keep it a secret.