Simplifying Truth...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Simplifying Truth...

Post by _truth dancer »

I realize I am not the creator of the Universe. (smile)!

But... if I were an angel and it was my job to teach humans about truth I think I would find a very simple way. I think I would make it easy to understand, comprehend, and live.

I think I would do my best to condense it to something so simple that one wouldn't need twenty-seven PhDs to figure it out. I think I would make it so simple that it would make sense and be clearly evident to all the world.

One of the things I struggled with regarding religion is how unbelieveably complex/confusing/convoluted it all is. There is nothing simple about it, at least as it is presented by most religions.

I like the idea of .... "treat others as you would like to be treated." Simple, clear, not too much to debate about it. (Yes, there is still some room for discussion but still).

Or, something like... "Take care of the world, each other and live with kindness."

Maybe, "Love your neighbor as yourself."

How about, "Respect, honor, and cherish each other and the world."

"Walk gently on the Earth, caring for others as best you can."

Something along these lines... ;-)

I don't know but it just seems that religion is so messy, complicated, and strange that it lends itself to confusion and fighting and problems.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Simplifying Truth...

Post by _harmony »

truth dancer wrote:I don't know but it just seems that religion is so messy, complicated, and strange that it lends itself to confusion and fighting and problems.

~dancer~

That's because religion is created by men, not angels. It's easy to figure out that which is manmade: everything that is messy, complicated, and strange.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

You can't simplify truth, it is what it is :)

While all of your sentiments above are admirable I don't see how you can make them easy to live. Secular moral teachers and religious teachers have been teaching these things for years and humanity isn't making progress. We just go through phases with different pet virtues and vices.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Nehor...

While all of your sentiments above are admirable I don't see how you can make them easy to live. Secular moral teachers and religious teachers have been teaching these things for years and humanity isn't making progress. We just go through phases with different pet virtues and vices.

Maybe it is because all sorts of guru/prophets/religious leaders start messing things up and complicating what is so simple?

Maybe if it remained simple and pure, the world would be much a much different place?

:-)

I think Harmony is about right..

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

truth dancer wrote:Maybe it is because all sorts of guru/prophets/religious leaders start messing things up and complicating what is so simple?

Maybe if it remained simple and pure, the world would be much a much different place?

:-)

I think Harmony is about right..

~dancer~

Maybe I'm more of a pessimist but the things in the OP is stuff almost everyone knows already that they SHOULD be doing. We don't lack for teachers, we lack people choosing implementation. Christ didn't bring a new morality, he brought new doctrine. The moral teachers are almost always reminding us of the same message again and again and we ignore them again and again.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo