Question about omniscience

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Question about omniscience

Post by _Tarski »

In another thread, Nehor responded to a question about why God would allow horrible suffering by saying

“If an omniscient being considers it worth it then it is.”

Now I object to the idea that whatever an omniscient being says is "worth it" is in fact worth it (worth it to whom?)
But there is another pressing question (especially for those who have supposedly met or communicated alleged gods):

Q: How does a being that is decidedly not omniscient, nevertheless determine that another being is omniscience?

(I myself might appear omniscient to a sufficiently unsophisticated creature if I only interact for a short time.)
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

God's omniscience is a matter of faith and experience. He has communicated to me that he is such and never disappointed me in that regard.

In God's case I would say 'worth it' means worth it to him and us. The lowest kingdom of glory surpasses all our understanding....what cost a few years of tribulation if that is the prereq? The only people for whom it will not be 'worth it' will be those who demand complete independence from God and all that has to do with him. Their request will be granted.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Re: Question about omniscience

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Tarski wrote:
(I myself might appear omniscient to a sufficiently unsophisticated creature if I only interact for a short time.)

Yah, I've gotten past that now.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:God's omniscience is a matter of faith and experience. He has communicated to me that he is such and never disappointed me in that regard.

Now which God are you talking about? The one that appeared to Joseph Smith or the one that appeared to you?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Tarski wrote:
The Nehor wrote:God's omniscience is a matter of faith and experience. He has communicated to me that he is such and never disappointed me in that regard.

Now which God are you talking about? The one that appeared to Joseph Smith or the one that appeared to you?

Joseph Smith one and the one I pray to.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:
Tarski wrote:

Joseph Smith one and the one I pray to.

Hmmm. So the other one might not have been omniscient? Maybe knew enough to impress? A cosmic trickster or devil?

Also, what experience do you have with obtaining evidence of omniscience with regard to the usual God? That experience would have to be quite extensive to rule out just an amazing but not omniscient being.

Heck, I can't even see convincing evidence of his existence let alone his omniscience.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Tarski wrote:Hmmm. So the other one might not have been omniscient? Maybe knew enough to impress? A cosmic trickster or devil?

Also, what experience do you have with obtaining evidence of omniscience with regard to the usual God? That experience would have to be quite extensive to rule out just an amazing but not omniscient being.

Heck, I can't even see convincing evidence of his existence let alone his omniscience.

Can we drop the other one Tarski, it was a mistake to share that experience.

The whole knowing the future thing tends to convince me of omniscience. Again, he also told me so.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Question about omniscience

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:Q: How does a being that is decidedly not omniscient, nevertheless determine that another being is omniscience?

I'm not sure it can be done for all possible worlds, but perhaps if we assume that general relativity and quantum mechanics hold we could set up an experiement to test it. Several light minutes away we could measure something such that its quantum wave collapses. We have the being tell us what eigenstate the wave collapsed to. We then compare answers and repeat to increase our confidence.

Now granted, this wouldn't necessarily prove omniscience even if GR and QM are true. If the being is merely omnipotent instead of omniscient, he could influence the outcome, or maybe he could use a wormhole. Still, I'd have great confidence that a being who could pass that test would in fact be omniscient or if not omniscient at least very powerful such that he may as well be omniscient.

Maybe we could see if the omniscient being knows the states of all gas molecules and could act as Maxwell's demon? That'd be an interesting experiment too.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:Heck, I can't even see convincing evidence of his existence let alone his omniscience.

Weird question: if nothing exists, then is everything omniscient?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:

The whole knowing the future thing tends to convince me of omniscience. .

You have low standards then. Even I can't do a bit of future prediction. A weather man would have impressed a caveman right?

We are talking about knowing EVERYTHING, not just having some surprising knowledge (surprising to you).

Again, he also told me so

??
Do you believe whatever you are told?