Polar bears, limbless lizards and bush babies...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Polar bears, limbless lizards and bush babies...

Post by _Tarski »

Suppose you had to go out and get your self a polar bear? How about a bush baby? How about a penguin or a rare poisonous tree frog?
What if you had to also prepare a place for your animal to live and aquire enough food for it to live for for several months (why several months? You will see).

Call such a task a "species project".

On the average, how long would such a species project take?

Weeks?, a week?, with Gods help a day?
How about just an hour?
Ok that's ridiculous but lets play anyway.

So how long did it take Noah to do this for every species?

Well, lets say it only took him an hour per species (which is, of course, just nuts).

Well, if he really got all species then it would take him roughly 2000 years (using 20 million species).
60*(1/(60))*(1/(24))*(1/(365))*(20,000,000)= = 2283. 1 years

OK, well, let's reduce it to just land animals. Then it's about 50 to 100 years!
But what was that polar bear doing for that 50 years while Noah got the rest of the animals at a rate of one per hour?
Most would be dead of old age by the time he finished.

Creationists try to reduce it to about 50,000 species (why they get to cheat and stop being literal at this point I am not sure)

Now it takes about six years. But again, we only assumed that we arranged for enough food and accomodations for a few months for each animal (many different diets etc.). So what was the Polar bear, or whichever species he loaded first, doing for those 6 years?
Some species only live a few hours or even minutes!!

Then finally, remember that an hour per species is unreasonable anyway. It would take me much more than a day to get a giraffe or even a mere cat. Of course, Noah didn't even have my modern means of transportation.

So are you an EV, Bible literalist? Do you know one?
I suggest you ask "whats up with that?"

Edited to add: Noah had only seven days to load up the Ark ( Gen. 7:4-10). If only 16,000 animals were on the Ark, then one animal must have been loaded every 38 seconds with no breaks. There really would have had to be orders of magnitude more animals to load if we take the Bible literally.

If you are not a literalist then I guess you can imagine that Noah was a farmer who puts a few pigs and goats on small barge or raft and road out a small flood for a day or so.

Maybe he just helped a pig over a puddle.
Last edited by W3C [Validator] on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

The answer is that it doesn't have to be explainable in normal, scientific terms, because it's a miracle. Remember prophecies about the lamb lying down the lion? Obviously something's not working normall there; why can't the same thing be said of all the animals in Noah's ark?

Obviously I regard the whole Noah's Ark story as sheer mythology, but that "miracle" answer is the obvious one for true believers. God could do it, even if we couldn't, because God can do anything if he sets his mind to it.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Polar bears, limbless lizards and bush babies...

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Tarski wrote:Maybe he just helped a pig over a puddle.

Some Rabbinical texts suggest it was a tapir.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Sethbag wrote:The answer is that it doesn't have to be explainable in normal, scientific terms, because it's a miracle. Remember prophecies about the lamb lying down the lion? Obviously something's not working normall there; why can't the same thing be said of all the animals in Noah's ark?

Obviously I regard the whole Noah's Ark story as sheer mythology, but that "miracle" answer is the obvious one for true believers. God could do it, even if we couldn't, because God can do anything if he sets his mind to it.

But even miracles take time if a human is participating. I would ask those that are just mindlessly declaring a miracle to imagine how such a miracle would look. Like a film running at 1000X speed?

Besides, go may as well, have levitated each animal above the flood in suspended animation. Getting them all into an ark is much more miraculous and "cheaty".
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

EQUALS

_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

LOL! I can tell you're a scientist, Tarki!

How long did it take you come up with those calculations?

I love it!

;)
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Um, Tarski?

Are you forgetting about interdependence and the food chain?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

And Tarski.....according to the Bible account...Noah didn't get the animals.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Jersey Girl wrote:Um, Tarski?

Are you forgetting about interdependence and the food chain?

LOL
Well, I'm not forgetting it but I am just trying to simplify one aspect of a massive impossibility.

The food chain actual makes it worse. They would eat each other.
What about environments and temperatures?
Last edited by W3C [Validator] on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Jersey Girl wrote:And Tarski.....according to the Bible account...Noah didn't get the animals.

It doesn't matter. Even if they came to him and he had to prepare the place in the boat and get them on, secure, etc. I would still take an hour per species at least.

Hey go ahead an calculate with 10 minutes. Some species don't even live that long.