Breastfeeding Babies in Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

moksha wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:You all realize I'm 22 right.....it's summer....it's hot....don't torture me anymore than Liz has to.

Well then, have a cold glass of milk....

LOL, Moksha!

I think Bond's sucking reflex is returning.

KA
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Bond...James Bond wrote:You all realize I'm 22 right.....it's summer....it's hot....don't torture me anymore than Liz has to.

22? You're barely out of diapers.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Ray A wrote:

22? You're barely out of diapers.

You give me too much credit ;)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

My ward's mother's room is a very nice place. It has two rocker recliners in a nice clean environment. It's for the privacy of the mothers, not the punishment. And it certainly doesn't smell!

I don't recall ever seeing anyone nurse in the chapel, but I don't suppose anyone would mind if they did and covered up with a blanket. Mothers nurse in RS all the time. No one thinks anything of it, since they're always discreet. I've had some uptight bishops on occasion, but I don't know of any who shooed nursing mothers out of the chapel.

I have been in a Baptist church where the preacher instructed a mother to take her bussy child out of the service. As far as I know, she never returned.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Our Ward mother's room is very similar to what Harmony describes. Actually, it's more pleasant in there, then in the chapel. LOL

Two large over-stuffed lounge/rocking chairs, a changing table, diaper genie. They have Sacrament Meeting piped into the room so you can hear the talks. We even take turns donating spare diapers and baby wipes for those that might forget to bring them, as an added convenience.

Edited to add---Kimberly...it sounds like your RS President was an uptight bitch. You did the right thing. LOL

I don't see anything wrong with nursing in public, particularly if you're discreet about it. I always used a blanket. It was never a huge issue.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Our mother's room was two rockers in a little nook in the women's bathroom. There wasn't enough room for them to rock, though, as they were stuffed in so tightly that they were smashed together!

There was no changing table. There was a counter near the sinks where we changed the babies, and no diaper pail at all. Only another open trash can which was constantly full of smelly, poopy diapers. Our speaker didn't work, so we couldn't hear the talks. The entire bathroom always smelled and the toilets didn't work correctly. In fact, they rocked much better than the rocking chairs in the so-called-Mother's-closet!

And yes, like I tried to make clear in my OP, not everyone has or had a nutty RS president like mine. She was indeed a bitch. And our building was overcrowded and improperly maintained, though I'm sure not all ward buildings are that way.

KA
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Our mother's room was two rockers in a little nook in the women's bathroom. There wasn't enough room for them to rock, though, as they were stuffed in so tightly that they were smashed together!

There was no changing table. There was a counter near the sinks where we changed the babies, and no diaper pail at all. Only another open trash can which was constantly full of smelly, poopy diapers. Our speaker didn't work, so we couldn't hear the talks. The entire bathroom always smelled and the toilets didn't work correctly. In fact, they rocked much better than the rocking chairs in the so-called-Mother's-closet!

And yes, like I tried to make clear in my OP, not everyone has or had a nutty RS president like mine. She was indeed a bitch. And our building was overcrowded and improperly maintained, though I'm sure not all ward buildings are that way.

KA

I've never been in a poorly maintained Mormon building. If anything, the members take an inordinant amount of pride in maintaining a beautiful building.

I have had bitchy persnickety uptight RS presidents though. And some very good ones, too.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Our mother's room was two rockers in a little nook in the women's bathroom. There wasn't enough room for them to rock, though, as they were stuffed in so tightly that they were smashed together!

KA

It sounds like this was a maintenance issue, KA. Who was in charge of building maintenance? Seems to me they were falling down on the job!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

In our first Ward, I had to nurse in a smelly bathroom on a hard chair. With our other kids, the Ward Chapel had a mothers lounge that was pretty nice but it was smellier than the bathroom. They kept a diaper pail in there and all the Moms would change their babies diapers in that room. I can still smell it just thinking about it. Imagine a Mom taking her 2 or 3 year old in there to change a poopy diaper while you are nursing. Each time somebody opened the pail, I would gag. THe room itself was nice. It had two rockers and a nice changing table, speakers worked great to hear the talks, but the diaper pail odor just took over that small space and it was encolsed. My DH was EQ Pres. so I asked him to let the Bishop know at their meetings about the horrible smell in there. Nothing ever changed so I brought in diaper scented bags for the Moms to double wrap their diapers before placing them in the pail. Nobody used them but me.

I finally was forced to nurse in my car or go inactive. It wasn't so bad though-I could listen to soft music out there in the parking lot and eat snacks.
Last edited by Shadrak on Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Two words: Diaper Genie

I didn't know what this gizmo was until 3 years ago. It should be in every nursery that exists even on a public level such as Malls.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb