Breastfeeding Babies in Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Question for the men

Post by _Seven »

I have always tried to be very modest and discreet when breastfeeding. I know it's a very natural, beautiful thing but it's still a breast and they are a very sexual part of a woman's body. Men are very stimulated visually so I can totally understand if they prefer women to be more private about it. I am not embarrassed of my body, but I am only trying to be considerate of the men here. Some men I discussed this with have admitted they are uncomfortable when women nurse around them.
Also, many women think they are well covered by their shirt or baby's mouth when there is much more exposed than they can see. I always use a thin blanket to cover up if I have to nurse in public.

As a man, does it make you uncomfortable when a woman unbuttons or lifts up her top and starts breastfeeding in front of you or does the baby feeding take away any visual stimulation that would normally be there?
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

barrelomonkeys wrote:
Hoops wrote:If it's you Kimberly, You can do that any time any where.

Oh! I think I found the dirty old man in this very thread!
Make that 2!!!!

As to my personal take on breastfeeding, I get called a pervert all the freaking time by women when I look at an attractive female body. Which I really don't understand. How does that make me perverted? Aren't men SUPPOSED to be attracted to females? So, I have been trained to look in the eyes. Always. If a woman is breastfeeding, the little inner voice of my ex starts up and I freeze in terror that if I even glance that way, someone is going to think I'm trying to catch a peek and label me "PERVERT".

I agree that there is no set statute for how we are supposed to act. Some women are fine with it, others will think you're a perv. So it's best just to not look at all.

It's sort of like the girls that wear tight shirts/shorts with words across the boob/ass, and when I look to read the word, they get mad cause I'm "checking them out". Well then DON'T WEAR THAT!! (Although, I must admit, I am using it as an excuse to check them out...)

Also, KA, what is the line between a look and a leer?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: Question for the men

Post by _asbestosman »

Seven wrote:As a man, does it make you uncomfortable when a woman unbuttons or lifts up her top and starts breastfeeding in front of you or does the baby feeding take away any visual stimulation that would normally be there?

I wish I could answer your question, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until my wife starts nursing. I don't exactly look at other women's breasts nursing or otherwise.

I'd say that in general women look sexy who are trying to look sexy. I'd also venture guess that breastfeeding isn't one of those times.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Question for the men

Post by _The Nehor »

Seven wrote:I have always tried to be very modest and discreet when breastfeeding. I know it's a very natural, beautiful thing but it's still a breast and they are a very sexual part of a woman's body. Men are very stimulated visually so I can totally understand if they prefer women to be more private about it. I am not embarrassed of my body, but I am only trying to be considerate of the men here. Some men I discussed this with have admitted they are uncomfortable when women nurse around them.
Also, many women think they are well covered by their shirt or baby's mouth when there is much more exposed than they can see. I always use a thin blanket to cover up if I have to nurse in public.

As a man, does it make you uncomfortable when a woman unbuttons or lifts up her top and starts breastfeeding in front of you or does the baby feeding take away any visual stimulation that would normally be there?

It's generally a sight that I avert eyes from until they're situated (if using blanket). If they're not using a blanket then they're making me very, very uncomfortable.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Scottie wrote:Make that 2!!!!

As to my personal take on breastfeeding, I get called a pervert all the freaking time by women when I look at an attractive female body. Which I really don't understand. How does that make me perverted? Aren't men SUPPOSED to be attracted to females? So, I have been trained to look in the eyes. Always. If a woman is breastfeeding, the little inner voice of my ex starts up and I freeze in terror that if I even glance that way, someone is going to think I'm trying to catch a peek and label me "PERVERT".

I agree that there is no set statute for how we are supposed to act. Some women are fine with it, others will think you're a perv. So it's best just to not look at all.

It's sort of like the girls that wear tight shirts/shorts with words across the boob/ass, and when I look to read the word, they get mad cause I'm "checking them out". Well then DON'T WEAR THAT!! (Although, I must admit, I am using it as an excuse to check them out...)

Girls usually smile when they notice I'm checking them out. I guess I'm a perv but I think my smile makes them take it as a compliment.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

The Nehor wrote:Girls usually smile when they notice I'm checking them out. I guess I'm a perv but I think my smile makes them take it as a compliment.

I'd say it's a compliment. My guess is that the difference between looking and leering is in how attractive the woman finds you.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Scottie wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
Hoops wrote:If it's you Kimberly, You can do that any time any where.

Oh! I think I found the dirty old man in this very thread!
Make that 2!!!!

Scottie, no one should call you a pervert for being attracted to or looking at the female body. It's perfectly normal and women who get offended by it are clueless, in my opinion.

The line between a look and a leer is fine, indeed, and is largely in the eye of the beholden. ;) For me, a look lasts a few seconds, not minutes, and the guy at least notices my face at some point, unless he's noticing my ass, in which case I probably wouldn't notice him noticing, so no harm done by staring at that. A leer is lingering and the guy makes no attempt to notice my face at all. I always feel like a piece of meat when men look at me like that.

One thing not to do: I was at an outdoor rock concert with my husband and a guy in front of me kept turning around to leer at my chest. I swear he never glanced at my face even once. Later, while my husband was out buying a beer, the creep walked right up to me and held his camera about two feet from my breasts and took a picture. I'm certain my face wasn't in the shot. That was the worst "leering" I've ever experienced. Even without the picture. Still gives me the creeps.

So, looking at a woman breastfeeding her child isn't perverted at all, and personally, I was never uncomfortable with men talking to me even if I wasn't covered with a blanket. Loosen up about it. And noticing attractive women isn't perverted. I certainly hope noticing attractive men isn't!

KA
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

I've nursed all three of my children. With my first, I was always super modest- most of the time leaving the room if others were around. But then I realized how much I was missing out on. So with my other kids I stuck around and just did my best not to draw attention to myself. When I was at church- I used the mother's rooms- but mostly as an excuse to get away from the meetings. Nursing in the movie theater is the best- because it's mostly dark! Nursing at a resturant- now that takes talent! Nursing at the mall in a changing room is always fun. And if I had a dollar for everytime I was nursing in a parking lot in the car.... oh the joys of motherhood! :-)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Next time your nursing have one of these prepared with water in it, and tilt it back like its a flask. Tell onlookers that your kid likes it better that way.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

asbestosman wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Girls usually smile when they notice I'm checking them out. I guess I'm a perv but I think my smile makes them take it as a compliment.

I'd say it's a compliment. My guess is that the difference between looking and leering is in how attractive the woman finds you.

Shoot!! I've been leearing all this time!!