grand key-word

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I still think Celestial Kingdom's OP suggested an even "grander" more "key" word---like some kind of BIG ONE.

And asbestosman's post brought up the issue of potentially multiple new names and their connection to The key word...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I went through the temple first in 1971, and I don't remember anything about a grand key word. I've been numerous times through 1990 and since, and I don't remember anything about a key word. I know what the changes are, what the wording and motions used to be, and I still am not coming up with one key word. There may be such a thing, but no one bothered to tell me that's what it was.

As far as I know, there's nothing that will magically open the doors of heaven.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

DonBradley wrote:The answer to that, Celestial Kingdom, is "sort of"!

I wouldn't be comfortable posting the specifics. I have no desire to offend Latter-day Saints, nor to mistreat things I once regarded as sacred.

But, to give a general explanation...the temple expose's all describe a portion of the endowment that was changed, to avoid misunderstanding, before I ever went through the temple. As I understand it, Joseph Smith's original "grand key word" was given in the endowment till around the late 1970s, and since then what is given is what is understood to be a translation of the Adamic original.

Don

Don, it was given until 1990, at which point it was changed to an English "translation" of the key word.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Blixa wrote:I still think Celestial Kingdom's OP suggested an even "grander" more "key" word---like some kind of BIG ONE.

And asbestosman's post brought up the issue of potentially multiple new names and their connection to The key word...

I know the Masons have a grand key word, and the temple is nothing but a rip-off of Masonry. The new name alluded to by asbestosman is the new name given to each individual when they take out their endowments for the first time, I think.

There are indeed signs and tokens given in the temple, and each has a name. The last name, learned at the temple veil, could be considered a grand key of sorts, but it certainly wouldn't have been the first word uttered by Adam.

I'm going to dig through my copy of Morals and Dogma today and see what I can learn about Masonry's grand key words. I don't know if it will answer any questions, but it might be interesting reading.

KA
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Jeez. Instead of everyone guessing, and worrying about offending the TBMs, here is the applicable temple script:

You have had a New Name given unto you, which you were told never to divulge, nor forget. This New Name is a keyword which you will be required to give at a certain place in the temple today.

Your Endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and the tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation.

See my post above.

edit - reading the OP again, Joseph Smith did appear to be referring to something different than the above - along the lines the the 'prayer' others were referring to (the "true order of prayer"). However, I've never heard that referred to as a key word.
Last edited by canpakes on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:Jeez. Instead of everyone 'guessing', and worrying about offending the TBMs, here is the applicable temple script:

You have had a New Name given unto you, which you were told never to divulge, nor forget. This New Name is a keyword which you will be required to give at a certain place in the temple today.

Your Endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and the tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation.

See my post above.

I think the grand key word spoken of is, as Joseph Smith said, one of "supplication." The new name is a key word, but not the grand key word. Those of us who went through the temple before 1990 remember the supplication that enabled one to communicate with God through prayer.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Who Knows wrote:Jeez. Instead of everyone 'guessing', and worrying about offending the TBMs, here is the applicable temple script:

See my post above.

I don't think that's what's being referred to, Who Knows.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

harmony wrote:I don't think that's what's being referred to, Who Knows.

Right - see my 'edit' above.

However, I've never heard of the true order of prayer (or the words used) as a 'key word'. The only things referred to as key words in the temple are what I quoted above.

I'm assuming Joseph Smith didn't really know what he was talking about - well, he was still 'developing' his ceremony, so he wasn't sure how it would all play out - what the key words would be, etc.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Runtu wrote:

See my post above.

I think the grand key word spoken of is, as Joseph Smith said, one of "supplication." The new name is a key word, but not the grand key word. Those of us who went through the temple before 1990 remember the supplication that enabled one to communicate with God through prayer.

Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post! Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post! Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post!

Pe Le El,

KA
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

KimberlyAnn wrote:Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post! Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post! Oh, Who Knows, read the words of Runtu's post!

Pe Le El,

KA

You are just plain evil, you know? ;)
Last edited by cacheman on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Runtu's Rincón