grand key-word

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Seven wrote:
Runtu wrote:
I think the grand key word spoken of is, as Joseph Smith said, one of "supplication." The new name is a key word, but not the grand key word. Those of us who went through the temple before 1990 remember the supplication that enabled one to communicate with God through prayer.

I went through in 1998 but know what the supplication is from reading it online. Sorry if this is a stupid question but isn't the Adamic supplication 3 words? Why would Joseph refer to it as a Grand key word (singular)? The English translation is even longer.

When the LDS Royalty are given the Second annointing, is there any special key, token, or sign they receive? I was wondering if there was any connection to the grand key word and this ordinance.

Great topic-I had never heard of the Grand Key Word before.

My understanding is that the "Adamic" was one word, three syllables.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DonBradley wrote:Closing a thread at the request of the person opening it is a very different matter from closing a thread because the moderators dislike it. To have that kind of say over one's own thread is not unreasonable. But if someone else wants to open a thread on the same topic, that would be their thread, and not subject to arbitrary closure by the mods.

Don

You can't get your own thread locked on this board, Don.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Dr. Shades wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:Shades, it might be best if this thread is closed to further comment.

Why?

I just didn't want it to become an excuse for gratuitous blasphemy.

Best,

-CK
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Celestial Kingdom,

I wanted a thread that I'd begun closed not long ago and it couldn't be closed. The more I thought about it, I came to understand why closing them is of no use. When threads are closed on other boards (you know what I mean) it is a signal to everyone not to bring it up again. (You know what I mean). On this board, though, even if you wanted to close a thread, any poster could start a new one taking comments from the closed thread or simply raise the issue again.

Free speech and all that jazz.

Jersey Girl
Chinese Proverb
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

CaliforniaKid wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:
CaliforniaKid wrote:Shades, it might be best if this thread is closed to further comment.

Why?

I just didn't want it to become an excuse for gratuitous blasphemy.

Best,

-CK

If this is a concern, we can move it Celestial. Your call.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Let's just remind ourselves of the OP:

[June 15, 1844. Saturday.] A.M. [Joseph Smith, the Prophet was] conversing with Dr. J.
Wakefield and others . . . spoke concerning key words. The g[rand] key word was the
first word Adam spoke and is a word of supplication. He found the word by the Urim and
Thummim. It is that key word to which the heavens is opened. [Journal of William
Clayton under above date.]

Is there still a grand key word revealed to temple-worthy Mormons? (I asked this question at MADB and they didn't just close it; they "moved" it, apparently into the oblivion of outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of threads.)

So, are we to understand that TBMs would believe that what KA typed in previously, the three words, or at least three syllables, are in fact the "grand key word", the first word or phrase Adam spoke, and that word to which the heavens are opened? Because if so, I'm not sure I recall it being explained in that way at all, but hey, what do I know.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Sethbag wrote:Let's just remind ourselves of the OP:

[June 15, 1844. Saturday.] A.M. [Joseph Smith, the Prophet was] conversing with Dr. J.
Wakefield and others . . . spoke concerning key words. The g[rand] key word was the
first word Adam spoke and is a word of supplication. He found the word by the Urim and
Thummim. It is that key word to which the heavens is opened. [Journal of William
Clayton under above date.]

Is there still a grand key word revealed to temple-worthy Mormons? (I asked this question at MADB and they didn't just close it; they "moved" it, apparently into the oblivion of outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of threads.)

So, are we to understand that TBMs would believe that what KA typed in previously, the three words, or at least three syllables, are in fact the "grand key word", the first word or phrase Adam spoke, and that word to which the heavens are opened? Because if so, I'm not sure I recall it being explained in that way at all, but hey, what do I know.

It wasn't explained that way to me, either, Sethbag, but those three syllables are the closest thing to fitting the description provided by Celestial Kingdom.

And they could, in a sense, open the door to heaven because they were the gateway to speaking with God in the true order of prayer.

KA
_sailgirl7
_Emeritus

Post by _sailgirl7 »

It's interesting how in the temple when Adam uses the "true order of prayer" it is Lucifer that answers him. I found that odd. What's the point of having a way to communicate with God if satan can and does hear it and answer? What's the point of that?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Here is my question (snarky warning):

If LDS and ex-LDS cannot agree on what the Grand Key Word(s) are/is....of what use are they to start with?
Chinese Proverb
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Blixa wrote:
Asbestosman, I think you are thinking of something different, but I have a question as well about your comment:

[snip]

Is the 'new name' alluded to here, the same as the new name one recieves in the temple? It doesn't seem so from this description, so are there two "new names" one should recieve, the second being given on actual admittance to the Celestial Kingdom (along with a side of peepstone)? If so, then why does one need one for the reasons given in verse 10 "whereby things pertaining to a higher order of kingdoms will be made known," since presumably in the Celestial Kingdom one will have this knowledge already. Verse 10 makes the "white stone with new name" sound like something needed in earth more than in heaven...

Please forgive me for not commenting much further on the matter. Looking back I think my scripture was only tangentially related to Celestial Kingdom's question as I think most here agree.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO