Dawkins on Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Dawkins on Mormonism

Post by _Some Schmo »

This is great. Does anything else really need to be said?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

although he was writing in the 19th century, chose to write it [the Book of Mormon] in 17th century English

That's a pretty silly point in my opinion. I recently played Zelda: Ocarina of time and I noticed that used the Jacobean English too, but it was even less gramatical in the use of thee's and thou's than the Book of Mormon is.

Anyhow when it comes to Dawkins ranting against Mormonism, consider the source.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

asbestosman wrote:
although he was writing in the 19th century, chose to write it [the Book of Mormon] in 17th century English

That's a pretty silly point in my opinion. I recently played Zelda: Ocarina of time and I noticed that used the Jacobean English too, but it was even less gramatical in the use of thee's and thou's than the Book of Mormon is.

I did consider the source. That's what makes it so convincing (like more convincing was needed).

by the way, I don't think Zelda was ever intended to be sold as the word of god. I hope you aren't actually serious in thinking this is a compelling, or even reasonable counter-argument.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Re: Dawkins on Mormonism

Post by _Yong Xi »

Some Schmo wrote:This is great. Does anything else really need to be said?

I agree that Mormonism is an obvious fraud, unless you were taught it from your mother's knee. Then it is anything but fraudulent. It's hard to get beyond the framing of your world view that began while in the crib.

From my point of veiw Christianity, Islam and Judaism are also obvious frauds, unless once again, one was indoctrinated with that belief system. Mormonism doesn't have the benefit of being an ancient fraud. Its' fantastic claims are more easily dismissed as its' history is recent.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Some Schmo wrote:by the way, I don't think Zelda was ever intended to be sold as the word of god. I hope you aren't actually serious in thinking this is a compelling, or even reasonable counter-argument.

My point with Zelda was simply that sometimes people find legitimate reasons to use 17th century English even today. Admittedly quibbling over the Book of Mormon Jacobean English is a rather minor point of Dawkins but I find it odd that this was even an example at all. To Dawkins, the fraud is transparently obvious by the claims and history (spoke with God who commands polygamy, and other such unusual things).
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Ren
_Emeritus

Post by _Ren »

Here's the full Q&A the above section was taken from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOzziDh- ... ed&search=

The Mormon bit starts about 7:30.
Mormonism comes up because of the recent comparison between Mormons and Atheists. (In terms of: Mormons don't belevie in a godhood with a captial G, therefore they are really atheists).
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

asbestosman wrote:

That's a pretty silly point in my opinion. I recently played Zelda: Ocarina of time and I noticed that used the Jacobean English too, but it was even less gramatical in the use of thee's and thou's than the Book of Mormon is

I am actually confused as to what your point is. It almost seems to work the wrong way.
Isn't Zelda just marketed fiction? The use of Jacobean English is just added exactly to help sell it? To give it a certain feel?
How does that help the Book of Mormon? Obviously, someone just wanted the Book of Mormon to sound like the Bible to give it the feel of genuine scripture (a mere selling point for the gullible).

I know what Dawkin's point is.
Please explain your point.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Tarski wrote:Isn't Zelda just marketed fiction?

I suppose you could say that. It certainly is fiction.
The use of Jacobean English is just added exactly to help sell it? To give it a certain feel?

I'm not sure that the Jacobean English helped sell the game, but I'm sure it was used because of the effect such tends to have upon people (reminds them of scripture / Shakespeare I suppose).
How does that help the Book of Mormon?

It may help remind them of other scripture and therefore aid in making the connection between various points. I don't know, but it may also be that people discussed religious things using Jacobean English back in that day. It may be that the Nephites used slightly older words and so the semantics of their words are better expressed by using Jacobean English--in fact I believe that such is still done today when things are translated from one language to another (say the Japanese version of Zelda to the English one).
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Would Dawkin’s (and other critic’s) qualms disappear if the Book of Mormon was written solely in 19th Century Upstate New Yorkian dialect?

For some reason, I think that would provide additional fodder for the "frontier fiction" crowd.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

asbestosman wrote:

The source is as credible as they come. Your zelda diversion is laughable.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning