?????But they are really nice people.?????

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Hoops wrote:Is pomposity self blinded as well?

That's just Wade, being Wade.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

But the overtones of what you say are still there. People often do not want to appear discouraged or depressed. But still there is a more openess at least where I attend.

I'm glad the attitude is changing.

So why the aversion to appearing discouraged, depressed, or doubting? I do believe the aversion to expressing these things is part of the LDS culture.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

beastie wrote:
But the overtones of what you say are still there. People often do not want to appear discouraged or depressed. But still there is a more openess at least where I attend.

I'm glad the attitude is changing.

So why the aversion to appearing discouraged, depressed, or doubting? I do believe the aversion to expressing these things is part of the LDS culture.

I think that the ideas you outline are not inaccurate. LDS think the because they have the truth, live in the fullness of times, well they ought to be happy. Duty is strongly taught in regards to doing all the is asked, from callings to raising a great family that may be large, to financial support to attending temple and doing family history as well as missionary work. Joseph Smith once said a man can be happy in a cave if it is his duty. Trials and tribulations give us experience and Jesus descended below all trials so we should not complain.

Yet discussing challenges and depression is and does happen. I was quite pleased when a member of the SP talking to the men and women in ward conference, said that depression is usually either from sin (when we sin we get depressed) or is and attitude that should be fixed and we need to change our thinking. One woman, who is a active and devoted member piped right up and basically said he was full of hooey. She said she cannot function without her anti depressant medication and that it was an actual physical problem. She said there was a time when she could not get out of bed without it. Others chimed in as well and the SP counselor actually said he was wrong in what he had said.

So the culture can create discouragement and many may hide it, but I think more are and will talk about their challenges
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

History seems to demonstrate that, although it sometimes is slow to embrace change, the LDS church usually does eventually follow cultural trends. The understanding of depression and mental illness in general and accept that it is not a sign of weakness (or sin) is something our culture is now trending to. So perhaps in another twenty years the LDS church will finally fully accept that as well.

And hooray for that woman who spoke out.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

History seems to demonstrate that, although it sometimes is slow to embrace change, the LDS church usually does eventually follow cultural trends. The understanding of depression and mental illness in general and accept that it is not a sign of weakness (or sin) is something our culture is now trending to. So perhaps in another twenty years the LDS church will finally fully accept that as well.

My own journey with my spiritual life and my mental health has been tied into this. As an RM figured I would be perfected by about 35 and a GA as well. Not really but you know the attitude. I was on the track. Had many leadership positions at a very young age. But I always felt I fell short and I was depressed and full og anxiety. Oh not just about the Church but it was part of it. I was anxious about career,money, success, family issues and on and on. And I suffered from depression and yes, I when I started being medicated for it I was very concerned that people would find out. Now I do not care at all, but it took many things to make me understand my issues and not be ashamed of them, and it would take to long to post them.

Well I had a journey spiritually as well and got to the point of focusing on the good news of the gospel of Jesus instead of mentally beating myself so much.

I also worked with a great therapist and used some great meds for a while and started understanding how to deal with things better. Today I still struggle but cognitive behavior has helped and physical activity has as well so currently I do not need medication.

In opportunities I have had with LDS members I have been very open about my depression issues, both about the things the are cultural in the LDS Church that can aggravate depression and about the physiology of depression as well as the psychologically.

And hooray for that woman who spoke out.

Yes I was quite proud of her and told her so.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Maybe this is a change that will occur in the LDS church from the bottom-up, so to speak. As more members become more educated on the nature of mental illness in general, and depression in specific, and realize that it is not caused by some character flaw, the more will speak up and the culture will change.

When I was LDS, there was a general suspicion towards the professional mental health community. This pressure was towards seeking help from one's bishop, and if that didn't work, getting a referral to the LDS counselor who visited on a schedule. But from my experience, that LDS counselor was not qualified to deal with serious emotional/mental issues. Do you think that the attitude towards "outsider" mental health intervention has softened over the past ten years?

Penn & Teller

_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

beastie wrote:Maybe this is a change that will occur in the LDS church from the bottom-up, so to speak. As more members become more educated on the nature of mental illness in general, and depression in specific, and realize that it is not caused by some character flaw, the more will speak up and the culture will change.

When I was LDS, there was a general suspicion towards the professional mental health community. This pressure was towards seeking help from one's bishop, and if that didn't work, getting a referral to the LDS counselor who visited on a schedule. But from my experience, that LDS counselor was not qualified to deal with serious emotional/mental issues. Do you think that the attitude towards "outsider" mental health intervention has softened over the past ten years?

I think that the there is still a preference for an LDS mental health person by most LDS. But since where I live it is of limited availability people will use non LDS.
_Arnold Friend
_Emeritus

Post by _Arnold Friend »

To be fair, I've heard the phrase "But they really are nice people" applied to Mormons a number of times, too.