What does it feel like to be wrong about your religion?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

The Nehor wrote:Assume for a moment that we're right and that what we say could keep you out of hell for a time. Is it arrogance to share that or worry about it? If I believe it (as I do) I would have to be a monster not to share it.

Even if I could assume that you're right, there's absolutely no way that you could know that you're right, the best you could do is assume as well. In which case, nothing has changed.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

My whole approach with this is aimed at getting Mormons to realize that their situation isn't really all that unique; that there are other churches where people go through life more or less just like they do, with similar attitudes, similar experiences, etc., who the Mormons know are actually wrong about their religion. I'm trying to help people see that it's not as impossible, or inconceivable, for the Mormon church not to be right as a lot of Mormons imagine it to be, and to use the situation of the JWs to demonstrate that. I believe the JWs have a church experience, and social experience, that is remarkably similar to the LDS experience. Obviously there are some specifics about each church that are difference, but from the bird's eye view, they're pretty darn close as lifestyles and as religions and belief experiences.

If the JWs can be so convinced, and yet still be wrong, I want a Mormon to seriously consider hmm, what's really that different about our situations that still makes it impossible for Mormonism not to be true? Their conception of this as an impossibility is not strong evidence that it is in fact impossible (for Mormonism to be wrong). There are many other people out there for whom it is an impossibility for their religion not to be true, and yet their religions aren't true.

What, exactly, makes a Mormon so different that they aren't susceptible to the same delusion with respect to their beliefs that almost every other religious person in the world is apparently susceptible to?

I really am trying to develop an approach that breaks down the notion that LDS are somehow special, and not subject to the same kinds of experiences of false faith that almost everyone else in the world who is religious must be subject to. If an LDS person can realize that they just might be susceptible to the same kinds of weaknesses of belief as everyone else, I think they will have a good start toward being able to seriously consider that the LDS church might in fact be wrong. Being able to consider that as a very real possibility is absolutely necessary before anyone can approach the true LDS history without a knee-jerk impulse to find ways of excusing it all away somehow.

Thanks for all your comments so far.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

guy sajer wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Assume for a moment that we're right and that what we say could keep you out of hell for a time. Is it arrogance to share that or worry about it? If I believe it (as I do) I would have to be a monster not to share it.

Even if I could assume that you're right, there's absolutely no way that you could know that you're right, the best you could do is assume as well. In which case, nothing has changed.

I disagree that I can't know I'm right.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Tarski wrote:

The world is full of religions that are urgently trying to convert the world for its own good.
Look around! Does that seem like a good thing? Is it working out for the benefit of the world?

Depends on what you mean by the world. Historically no, the wars of philosophy and religion have caused more destruction than any other. Individuals, no idea. I would say it is a good thing for me. Since I see this as a stopover point we're not supposed to get attached to I have no problem with it causing problems. In fact for the LDS this is a relatively easy generation. The Prophet is not currently seen as a traitor to the nation or a horrible blasphemer by the people at large. I don't think it will last.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

It's arrogant to assume people are going to hell because they do not believe as you do, Nehor. It's equally arrogant to assume anything you might say could keep them from going there, even if hell were a real place.

And if you're right, and Mormon God is the best there is, then I'll go to hell rather than worship him.

KA
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

The Nehor wrote:
guy sajer wrote:

I disagree that I can't know I'm right.

No, Nehor, you cannot KNOW you're right. The fact that you think so shows how pompous you are.

You can believe you're right, which is the best anyone can do in matters of faith.

KA
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Sethbag wrote:I really am trying to develop an approach that breaks down the notion that LDS are somehow special, and not subject to the same kinds of experiences of false faith that almost everyone else in the world who is religious must be subject to. If an LDS person can realize that they just might be susceptible to the same kinds of weaknesses of belief as everyone else, I think they will have a good start toward being able to seriously consider that the LDS church might in fact be wrong. Being able to consider that as a very real possibility is absolutely necessary before anyone can approach the true LDS history without a knee-jerk impulse to find ways of excusing it all away somehow.

Amazingly enough I had those very questions on my mission and it was actually very difficult for me. I wanted to know how I knew so I could help others understand what was right. As things progressed I wanted more to know if indeed I was right. In the end I had concluded that it is indeed possible that the JWs are correct--that I don't really know that they are wrong.

And yet I still believe and feel justified in my belief. I'm sure it's not out of comfort as I'm not really the type to like social events, especially church social events.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Nehor, when I am confronted with neighbors that feel they must speak to me about my salvation I do not consider them arrogant. I consider that in their belief they know a truth that they feel compelled to share with me because they care for me. I listen respectfully and decline requests to attend some Churches. Others I have visited and actually enjoyed the experience of different worship styles.

I'm not offended in the least bit by people telling me of their way of salvation or what not. I do get ookied out sometimes by it. :) But I'm not offended and can't say I've ever considered them arrogant.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Sethbag wrote:
What, exactly, makes a Mormon so different that they aren't susceptible to the same delusion with respect to their beliefs that almost every other religious person in the world is apparently susceptible to?

I really am trying to develop an approach that breaks down the notion that LDS are somehow special, and not subject to the same kinds of experiences of false faith that almost everyone else in the world who is religious must be subject to. If an LDS person can realize that they just might be susceptible to the same kinds of weaknesses of belief as everyone else, I think they will have a good start toward being able to seriously consider that the LDS church might in fact be wrong. Being able to consider that as a very real possibility is absolutely necessary before anyone can approach the true LDS history without a knee-jerk impulse to find ways of excusing it all away somehow.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

The problem is that Mormons, and other true believers, really do think they're special. In fact, belief in personal "specialhood" is a pre-requisite for this type of belief.

When it's obvious that God does not answer all prayers, that he fails to intervene in millions and millions of cases, despite fervent pleadings from the faithful, why would anyone expect God to answer them? It's because at some level, they believe they are special. For some unknown reason, God will ignore countless others, but he will intervene on their behalf. There's no rational way to explain it, it ultimately devolves down to a perception that the person is, for whatever reason, an exception, possessing a certain special status such that God, though he ignores millions of others, will answer his/her pleadings.

The assumption of specialhood, for example, is implied every time a believer who is sparred a tragedy that befalls others thanks God for her safety.

Nehor is an example. Billions of people have traversed this planet without God so much as taking a notice of them, while our good friend Nehor claims an intimate, sure knowledge; not only that, God regularly talks to him and reveals to him God's will. Why Nehor? Why not the billions of other people inhabiting this planet?

Why you Nehor, what makes you so special?
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

Absolutely. That is why Evangelicals, and Baptists, and born agains are so adamantly anti-mormon. They are trying to save you from hell. To them, you are stepping onto that train track and they need to get you off, no matter how rude or arrogant they may seem. If that means peeing on Book of Mormons on temple square, or wearing temple garments to get your attention, so be it. They are only trying to save you.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks