MAD thread: Daniel Peterson Agrees That Church Presents...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

guy sajer wrote: ...what I am saying is that according to the single most important standard of judging academic output in today's academic climate--publishing in peer-reviewed academic journals--you've done squat for over two decades now, for reasons you refuse to share.

All your claims to scholarly greatness should have this asterix attached to them, and your praise chorus at MADD and in the Mormon apologetic community should be so informed, lest they plant their lips to your backside under false pretenses.

Is this another of your attempts at meaningless, throw-away humor?

I ask because I don't want my following comments and questions to be misconstrued ironically as me (who admittedly has never published in a peer-review journal) wanting to appear "more intelligent" than you. ;-)

Anyway, I would think that degrees and letters would be "the single most important standard of judging academic output in today's academic climate". After all, how many articles in peer-review journals are accompanied by public honors ceremonies? And, speaking of an asterix, how many articles warrant a title (such as Dr. or Phd.) attached to one's name? Now, while there are rigorous academic standards to be met in a peer-review article, aren't they considerably less extensive and cover a more narrow scope than post-graduate degrees or letters? If so, the why would you consider peer-review articles in journals to be a more important judge of academic output than degrees or letters?

Also, do you think the standard you just commended to Dr. Peterson should be applied to critics of the Church? In other words, do you demand that prior to their standing in judgement of the academics of LDS apologists and apologetics, the critics include an astrix deliniating their lack of degrees and scholastic attainments and their having not published in peer-review journals--particularly those journals that may directly relate to subjects under discussion?

Just curious.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

guy sajer wrote:You've been following my career?

No, I haven't.

guy sajer wrote:I'm flattered.

Don't be.

I couldn't possibly care less.

But you're plainly interested in my career, and you obviously feel some mysterious compulsion to pronounce judgments on it even though you're comically out of the relevant loop.

I wish you well in your aspiration to join the Mister Scratch Peterson-Monitoring Team.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Daniel Peterson wrote:
guy sajer wrote:You've been following my career?

No, I haven't.

guy sajer wrote:I'm flattered.

Don't be.

I couldn't possibly care less.

But you're plainly interested in my career, and you obviously feel some mysterious compulsion to pronounce judgments on it even though you're comically out of the relevant loop.

I wish you well in your aspiration to join the Mister Scratch Peterson-Monitoring Team.

I couldn't care less about your career all else equal, but I do care, in a way, though not enough to do anything about it than joust with you here, that you use your cover as some kind of Scholarly Leviathan to lend a whiff of credibility to your asinine apologetics. For those completely sucked into the Mormon cocoon, it matters little, but for those who catch a vague glimpse of the intellectual and spiritual freedom outside the suffocating Mormon cocoon, who might have followed the courage of their convictions, but who settle back into the cocoon because you've managed to bamboozle them back in with soothing words of assurance, in part because of your presumed authority status, then, yes, it matters.

People deserve the full picture, even though it is obvious that Mormon leaders, and you dear Dan, believe quite the opposite.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

From now on, if and when I refer to you, I'll call you "Mahatma Sajer."

Mahatma is Sanskrit for "great soul."

From the perspective of narow-minded little tribal people like myself (who can have no real conception of the rich, free, and vast world you inhabit, the panoramic view of history, art, literature, and cultures that you so effortlessly contemplate, the depths of the human psyche that you routinely plumb), you seem almost more than merely mortal.

Friendly advice: Stay away from sharp objects, especially pins.
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Daniel Peterson wrote:From now on, if and when I refer to you, I'll call you "Mahatma Sajer."

Mahatma is Sanskrit for "great soul."

From the perspective of narow-minded little tribal people like myself (who can have no real conception of the rich, free, and vast world you inhabit, the panoramic view of history, art, literature, and cultures that you so effortlessly contemplate, the depths of the human psyche that you routinely plumb), you seem almost more than merely mortal.

Friendly advice: Stay away from sharp objects, especially pins.

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

I must say, it's so nice to see that you have finally conceded what most neutral observers would have figured out years ago.

Well, if I'm to avoid sharp things, I guess that means we'll be seeing more of each other.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

In the meantime, I have a book manuscript to finish before I leave for Europe on 6 September

Like we really give a rat's ass. Would you like to know what I did this week at work and what will happen next week? Well, I repair commercial air conditioning equipment and refrigeration systems. Can you do that, Daniel? I'll bet I'm better at it than you are! I even have credentials! That makes me a professor! I'm better than you!

Paul O
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

guy sajer wrote:Well, if I'm to avoid sharp things, I guess that means we'll be seeing more of each other.

Well, yes. Watch carefully to make sure that you don't run into me. And stay away from Ben Bernanke, as well. The Fed also opposes inflation.

(Poor Mahatma. You probably think you need to keep an eye out for sharp cheeses, sharp wit, and Sharp copiers, too.)
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Paul Osborne wrote:
In the meantime, I have a book manuscript to finish before I leave for Europe on 6 September
Like we really give a rat's ass. Would you like to know what I did this week at work and what will happen next week? Well, I repair commercial air conditioning equipment and refrigeration systems. Can you do that, Daniel? I'll bet I'm better at it than you are! I even have credentials! That makes me a professor! I'm better than you!

By contrast, the Mahatma is absolutely mesmerized by my career. Although he's quite ill-positioned to do so, he feels duty-bound to attempt to monitor and evaluate my job performance.

I'm certainly glad you wrote.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Paul Osborne wrote:

Paul O

Oh, I'm so glad I'm still following this thread! Weeeee!
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Post by _Yong Xi »

I can see that Daniel Peterson is performing another public striptease.

Come one, come all! See the great "Zelig" dangle his participle!