LDS power structure shuffle

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Dr. Shades wrote:I thought the guy who's been an apostle longest automatically gets it.

Nope. Faust was quite a ways down the totem pole in terms of seniority.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

It could be Richard G. Scott. He was one of the seven presidents in the First Quorum of the 70 before he was called as an apostle. And, health-wise, he's in good shape. He has done quite a bit of foreign travel that the other members of the 12 were too feeble to do.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I assume they both kinder and gentler than Elder Packer. Which is more so out of these two?

That's a safe assumption, since everyone is kinder and gentler than Elder Packer.

Personally, I would find it far more entertaining if they did choose Packer.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Dr. Shades wrote:I thought the guy who's been an apostle longest automatically gets it.

There have been FP counselors who were not even in the Twelve. The seniority only applies to the president of the Church, where the most senior apostle automatically becomes president. When GBH dies, Thomas Monson will become the president. If you want to know the seniority just view some old photos of the Twelve.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

beastie wrote:
I assume they both kinder and gentler than Elder Packer. Which is more so out of these two?

That's a safe assumption, since everyone is kinder and gentler than Elder Packer.

Furnishing outrageous statements or actions for Mormon Critics should not be a function of the First Presidency. These Elders are there to help furnish spiritual guidance for the Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
beastie wrote:

Furnishing outrageous statements or actions for Mormon Critics should not be a function of the First Presidency. These Elders are there to help furnish spiritual guidance for the Church.

Since when? Do you want to go down that road?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:Since when? Do you want to go down that road?

Would it be the road less traveled?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Tommy
_Emeritus

Post by _Tommy »

I, of course, know who's next. But it would be wrong for me to say. When a prophet passes on, the members of the First Presidency individually pray over who will fill the vacancy. The revelation comes and we individually write down the name of the next apostle. Then we hold a special meeting where we discuss the matter and read the names we've written prior on the paper. It has always been the case of a perfect match.
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Post by _Trinity »

My bet's on Holland. I think he has the perfect age and temperament.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:Since when? Do you want to go down that road?

Would it be the road less traveled?

Detractors have been a big focus of the first presidency. Hell, Joe himself would rail on and on about the fate of those who saw the fraud for what it is.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning