Politics, The Chosen Land, and Why we Fight

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Ray A

Re: US of A

Post by _Ray A »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I understand your reasoning, Ray, but it's nice to have someone special on your mind, I think. And to be that person always on someone else's mind...

KA

Haven't met anyone "special" yet. Never been in love (as I mentioned before), and can't even conceive what it would be like. Not sure I even want to.

KimberlyAnn wrote:I know Ray thinks I'm awful,

I don't think that at all. I think you're quite intelligent, even when I don't agree with your sentiments. There are a few people I think awful, but you are not one of them.

KimberlyAnn wrote:but I have several times hoped he had a safe shift out driving that cab. It's dangerous work.

Thanks for the positive vibes. Didn't have too many D***heads last week. (Though the police had to be called for one.)
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Jason Bourne wrote:
aussieguy55 wrote:I watch PBS Newshour of an afternoon afterwork. Often at the end of the program they have a honour roll of soldiers killed. Many of them are so young and all that for a war based on lies. You talk about the war in Asia, that was also based on lies.Its odd how the Right demonise the left. Americans have hated the French and yet their women seem to be doing fine (Why French Women don't get Fat) Ironic the wealthiest country has a problem with health (obesiety). I have been reading Ghost Planes (redition to countries that do torture - the US doesn't) and The Greatest Story ever Told. Both reveal the lies told by your administration. I hope to God Obama or Hilary win.

I just love it when someone for a sparsely populated little country that is insignificant on the world stage, offers nothing at all to solve the major world problems, is so internally focused that they are better able to deal with their own issues because they do nothing much for the rest of the world goes on major rant. Australia has what, 20 million people, less then each of the three most populous states in the USA.

How much money did Australia put up for the Tsunami victims a few years ago, both as a nation and with personal donations. What does Australia contribute to world GDP? Really Aussie what does your county do for the world?

The US is far from perfect and does have dirty hands over many things. But there has never been a nation that has done as much for the world in a beneficial way as the USA.

Hang on there cowboy. In terms of charitable giving America is one of the tightest nations on earth. Look up the statistics...they aren't pretty. Now the British and the French aren't that friendly as you might well know. But I don't think ANY country no matter how densley or sparsely populated or how large or small their landmass is, is unimportant on the world stage. Big wars can often begin in very little insignificant countries (to you).

Sorry, there ain't one country on God's earth that is unimportant or insignificant. And I for one am going to stick up for Europe and Australia.

Grief...no wonder you yanks were so disliked when you came over to the UK in the 40's.

(smiles..!!)

Mary
Your country is responsible for a great deal of ill as well as a great deal of good. (as most countries are)
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Miss Taken wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:I just love it when someone for a sparsely populated little country that is insignificant on the world stage, offers nothing at all to solve the major world problems, is so internally focused that they are better able to deal with their own issues because they do nothing much for the rest of the world goes on major rant. Australia has what, 20 million people, less then each of the three most populous states in the USA.

http://www.endofworld.net/

He must be right about Australia! :D
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Nephi!

I have to admit to finding that just a little amusing.
Thanks
Mary
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Okay, that was funny. But why were there Japanese flags in China? Or is that just annoying that this bothered me? :P
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jason Bourne wrote:But there has never been a nation that has done as much for the world in a beneficial way as the USA.

I doubt it.[/quote]

Why is that. Name another as charitable or as strong about promoting freedom and democracy.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Hang on there cowboy. In terms of charitable giving America is one of the tightest nations on earth. Look up the statistics...they aren't pretty.

I have read that the US is quite charitable, as a people and as a nation.

Now the British and the French aren't that friendly as you might well know. But I don't think ANY country no matter how densley or sparsely populated or how large or small their landmass is, is unimportant on the world stage. Big wars can often begin in very little insignificant countries (to you).

I agree. I just was on a rant cause of Aussie guys slam. I do not have rose colored glassed about the US but it ain't a bad country and has done a lot of good. But over all, all nations act out of self interest and perhaps their citizens should be glad of it.

Sorry, there ain't one country on God's earth that is unimportant or insignificant. And I for one am going to stick up for Europe and Australia.

Grief...no wonder you yanks were so disliked when you came over to the UK in the 40's.

(smiles..!!)

Certainly some have more impact then others and the US has much more the Australia, for good and most likely for ill as well.
Mary
Your country is responsible for a great deal of ill as well as a great deal of good. (as most countries are)

No doubt
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Or is that just annoying that this bothered me? :P

What's annoying is that you have a problem w/Japan's flag hanging in a Chinese place, and yet you failed to miss that the American flag when firing its missiles is hanging upside down and has only one star, looking like a pentagram... What are you, some Commie bastard?! :P
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Ray A wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:I understand your reasoning, Ray, but it's nice to have someone special on your mind, I think. And to be that person always on someone else's mind...

KA

Haven't met anyone "special" yet. Never been in love (as I mentioned before), and can't even conceive what it would be like. Not sure I even want to.

KimberlyAnn wrote:I know Ray thinks I'm awful,

I don't think that at all. I think you're quite intelligent, even when I don't agree with your sentiments. There are a few people I think awful, but you are not one of them.

KimberlyAnn wrote:but I have several times hoped he had a safe shift out driving that cab. It's dangerous work.

Thanks for the positive vibes. Didn't have too many D***heads last week. (Though the police had to be called for one.)

Thanks for your kind reply, Ray. I appreciate it. :)

KA
_Mary
_Emeritus

Post by _Mary »

Jason Bourne wrote:I have read that the US is quite charitable, as a people and as a nation.

Jason,

Okay, let me see if I can find the statistics...

Right...according to CAF, the US comes in first for charitable giving per GDP. Now this only included helping its own, and probably ties in with lower levels of taxation, and perhaps greater giving to faith based causes.

Here's the link..

http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=12183

France doesn't fair so well, but then they are taxed up to about 50%, so it's probably a view that the giving is done through government. Same for the UK actually which came in 2nd to the US...

To muddy the waters a little more. If we look at the statistics for how much the US helps other countries then it fairs pretty badly indeed.

Here's the link...

http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelate ... sandGraphs

Here, when compared to GNI, rather than raw dollars, Sweden makes it to the top, but only Greece gave less than the US, who came in 2nd to bottom..

Mary