simple question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Seth, I think I can see your point. If God did one thing and then constructed false evidence showing the opposite then God would be a liar. A lying God would be a jackass. I would add that to the reasons that I think there is zero possiblity of there having been a universal flood. After all my post above is primarily a list of material reasons to think it did not happen. I think it is clear that the story is pure parable. It is a reconstruction of older mythology reshaped largely to reflect a contradiction of the original polytheistic context of the story.

In other words it did not happen. It is not related to some limited flood. It is related to an old myth concerning conflicts between Gods and the overcoming of chaos. It rewrights that older idea to reflect Old Testament concerns about how disaster happens in the context of one God.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

guy sajer wrote:You might try asking him under what conditions is genocide is "moral." This is the oft overlooked dimension to this debate. Put aside the logistical impossibilities of Noah's Ark, if the story is true, Jehovah is guilty of genocide, making him a far worse mass murderer than Hitler and Stalin combined.

Also, I wonder if he agrees with the underlying principle of the Ark story: disobedience to God is a "sin" worthy of death.

Then, what about the millions of innocent children killed? The guy doing the killing was the same one who later said (paraphrasing), "Woe be unto him that harms one of these (child); it would be better for him that a yoke be placed on his neck and him cast into the sea."

Also, what about, "Man will be punished for his own sins, and not for Adam's transgressions?" If this story is true, then many innocent children will punished precisely for the sins of others.

The whole story is morally abhorrent from every angle you look at it.

Does he think you (being a disobeyer of God's word) are worthy of death too?

This is apologetics 101 here...

God doesn't view death in the same way we do. It's just a transition to the next life, not the horrible act that we have projected.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Canucklehead wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:I really do think that the global warming discussion deserves its own thread ... Even though it is off-topic for the forum, I'm highly interested in what people have to say about it.

Moderator Note: Down in the Off Topic Section there have been quite a few global warming arguments.....so feel free to go down there and argue global warming till your red in the face guys-Bond

Cool. Thanks, I haven't ventured much into the netherworld of this board yet so I didn't know that existed.

For those that care here is a link to wenglund's global warming thread.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07