simple question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

simple question

Post by _Tarski »

I was looking at this creationist site and reading some of the desparate pseudo-science when it occured to me to ask this simple question: http://www.creationism.org/

Is there anything detrimental to the public understanding of science in the Occident than biblical literalism?

Here is another one of the most insidious sites on the web:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

I'll answer the question posed there; Is Noah's Ark a Myth?

YES
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

I took a quick peek at one of your links and found this:

The Prentice Hall Biology book by Ken Miller and Joe Levine contains the same old evidences for evolution that have been debunked by creation scientists time and time again.

They're in the same boat as Mormon apologists; nobody is taking their "debunking" seriously. Must be that dang Satan working overtime again. Or personal flaws of those who should be debunked by now. Or any reason except the obvious ... they are just plain wrong.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

Post by _Sam Harris »

Noah's Ark is not only a myth, it's not unique to the Bible. It's found at least in Sumerian texts that pre-date the Bible by 4,000 years...

But don't go saying that on Sunday, you'll make someone pass out. :-)
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I just had a big fight with my husband about Noah's Ark. Doesn't that sound crazy? What a dumb thing over which to argue!

My husband believes the story of Noah's Ark is literal and that it occurred exactly as it is recorded in the Old Testament. No matter what scientific evidence I point to which shows the story of Noah's Ark to be pure fantasy, he refuses to even consider that the story may not be true, or at least incorrectly recorded in the Bible. He says God isn't bound by science or physical laws, and besides, none had to be broken for the story of Noah's Ark to be true. I cannot see how he believes such nonsense, but I'm perfectly happy letting him believe it. The problem is he's not perfectly happy with me not believing it.

He doesn't even want me mentioning in front of the children that I don't believe the story of Noah's Ark. But I still do, anyway. They need to know all sides of the argument.

I'm content not to bring it up, but Tom brings the story of Noah's Ark and other Bible tales up incessantly. It's either agree with him, remain silent and let Tom and the children misconstrue my silence as agreement, or disagree and start arguments. ARRRRGGGHHH! I usually ignore his preaching, which is the best policy, but all this Noah's Ark talk on the board has me edgy about it for some reason. Thanks a lot, Tarski and The Dude! ;)

KA
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

KA, I'm so sorry for you.

<edited because I said something mean about Christians and just can't live with myself for it.>

Thank you for making me realize I chose pretty well when I found a man that has it together in the smarts department. ;)
Last edited by Guest on Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Making the best of a situation..

Post by _Inconceivable »

KA,

Maybe the best you and your hubby can do is agree that Noah's Ark was full of crap.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Re: Making the best of a situation..

Post by _Tarski »

Inconceivable wrote:KA,

Maybe the best you and your hubby can do is agree that Noah's Ark was full of crap.

LOL
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

barrelomonkeys wrote:KA, I'm so sorry for you.

<edited because I said something mean about Christians and just can't live with myself for it.>

Thank you for making me realize I chose pretty well when I found a man that has it together in the smarts department. ;)

Well, actually, plenty of smart people beleive weird things:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articl ... 9EC5880000
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

GIMR wrote:Noah's Ark is not only a myth, it's not unique to the Bible. It's found at least in Sumerian texts that pre-date the Bible by 4,000 years...

But don't go saying that on Sunday, you'll make someone pass out. :-)

How does this fact, which I will attest to, comment on its truth?
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I'm aware of that Tarski.

My point is that I'm thankful I don't have to fool around with someone that believes in archaic ideology and spews it at me. I think the inability to question set schema shows a genuine lack of intellect.

I feel bad for KA... I think the best she can do is try to ignore him. I have no idea what I would do in her situation.