simple question

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

beastie wrote:
I see that you have joined the religion of "Global Warming", and Al Gore is now your prophet. If that is what makes you happy, then I am fine with that. I certainly don't want to be instrumental in undermining your faith, and so I will simply leave each to their own. ;-)

Does it strike anyone else as funny that when religionists wish to be dismissive of something, they try to turn it into a religion?

Come on, Beastie, we all know atheism and environmentalism are religions. ;)

KA
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

wenglund wrote:
I see that you have joined the religion of "Global Warming", and Al Gore is now your prophet. If that is what makes you happy, then I am fine with that. I certainly don't want to be instrumental in undermining your faith, and so I will simply leave each to their own. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Is that the best you can do religion man?

It is telling that you have no answer for me. Where are the names?

You want to go around the block on the science? I'm ready.
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Actually never mind.

You freak out on me after talking about how horrible your marriage is and how your husband is going to leave you and take your kids etc...

*hint* The smarts had to do with him treating you the way he does.

I didn't mean it in the way you read it. But feel free to ignore and carry on.

I know you're never rude KA. Never been to me? Riiight.

See if I listen to you again Bond! ;p
Last edited by Guest on Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Tarski wrote:
wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Is that the best you can do religion man?

That is the best I wish to do--for reasons previously explained (not to mention it is off-topic for this forum).

It is telling that you have no answer for me. Where are the names?

If you really wanted to know, you could find them yourself. It might take listening to Fox, though. ;-)

You want to go around the block on the science? I'm ready.

I don't. But, enjoy the ride, yourself.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Actually never mind.

You freak out on me after talking about how horrible your marriage is and how your husband is going to leave you and take your kids etc...

*hint* The smarts had to do with him treating you the way he does.

I didn't mean it in the way you read it. But feel free to ignore and carry on.

I know you're never rude KA. Never been to me? Riiight.

See if I listen to you again Bond! ;p

My husband has threatened to leave if I become an atheist but has never threatened to take my kids at all. He wouldn't do that. Also, I have mentioned that other than the religious issue, Tom's a good husband. But, yes, the religious issue is pretty difficult, no doubt.

And how is someone supposed to read what you said? You said you were glad you had a husband who wasn't lacking in the smarts department and then, later, mentioned you considered people (like my husband and others) who won't adjust their schema lacking in intellect. Nowhere did you explain what you meant. Nowhere did you mention it had anything to do with anything other than belief in things you and I may consider silly.

I saw your post before you edited it. You said yourself that you knew upon re-reading your posts that they may have been written in a way that could be misconstrued. It's because they were written that way. I don't know anyone who could reasonably conclude you meant anything other than what I thought you meant. Even Tarski pointed out to you that smart people can believe dumb things. Why did he do that? Because your post read like you were accusing my husband and others who believe like him of lacking in "smarts".

And no, I have never been purposefully rude to you. If I was rude, it was entirely unintentional and I apologize. Perhaps your rudeness to me was unintentional. I believe you if you say it was, but I will say that I can see no other way of interpreting what you said other than how I interpreted it. If you write so vaguely that someone needs additional *hints* to understand, then perhaps you should be more clear.

KA
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

beastie wrote:Does it strike anyone else as funny that when religionists wish to be dismissive of something, they try to turn it into a religion?

Yes, that does strike me as funny!

KimberlyAnn wrote:Come on, Beastie, we all know atheism and environmentalism are religions. ;)

As I've said before, if (as the MADites suggest) atheism is a form of religion, then infertility is a form of parenthood.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

wenglund wrote:

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Whether or not something is a religion or not is determined by who can or cannot provide actual scientific evidence strong enough to convince others trained in the given field.

I am willing to get in the ring with you concerning evidence and science as well as review what is published in top peer reviewed journals.

You are not.

Therefore, it is you that is adhering to a religion. You have to. It's part of the right wing, religious right anti-science package you seem to adhere to.
Now is it surprising that it is you that turned out to be guilty of adhering to something on a religious basis without proper evidence or cogent argument?
No it isn't! It is you that is all about religion after all.

Instead of a website put together by a hack who just sites Fox news articles and fringe scientists not even in the proper field, why not look at one of the few websites put together by actual earth scientist and climate scientists:

http://www.realclimate.org/
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

KimberlyAnn wrote:

My husband has threatened to leave if I become an atheist but has never threatened to take my kids at all. He wouldn't do that. Also, I have mentioned that other than the religious issue, Tom's a good husband. But, yes, the religious issue is pretty difficult, no doubt.

I must have confused you with someone else saying their husband didn't think their thoughts were appropriate for raising children.

And how is someone supposed to read what you said? You said you were glad you had a husband who wasn't lacking in the smarts department and then, later, mentioned you considered people (like my husband and others) who won't adjust their schema lacking in intellect. Nowhere did you explain what you meant. Nowhere did you mention it had anything to do with anything other than belief in things you and I may consider silly.

I'm thrilled that I don't have a husband that would leave me because I don't believe the same things he does KA. I do believe people that refuse to listen to reason lack intellect. I think your husband is an IDIOT for threatening to leave you and ruin your family because you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible. I'm pretty sure if any man on this board told you that you would have no qualms with it.

I don't really consider Christian beliefs all that silly KA. I don't believe them but understand that some people believe odd things. My point was your marriage and the way he torments you with his beliefs.

I saw your post before you edited it. You said yourself that you knew upon re-reading your posts that they may have been written in a way that could be misconstrued.

Yep, I didn't take much time to think about what I was writing. Believe it or not I really don't spend a lot of time composing here (hard to believe, I know! :D) but I was in chat and on second reading thought it was *off* looking and asked Bond for his opinion. He assured me it was fine and I took his word for it.

It's because they were written that way. I don't know anyone who could reasonably conclude you meant anything other than what I thought you meant. Even Tarski pointed out to you that smart people can believe dumb things. Why did he do that? Because your post read like you were accusing my husband and others who believe like him of lacking in "smarts".

I accuse your husband of being an idiot if he thinks you are not worthy of being his wife if you don't agree with his opinion on the Bible. If you have problems with hearing comments about the intellect and religiosity I think you are on the wrong board. I see people making correlations between intellect and religiosity constantly. I made a comment ONCE and don't care what people think! I do care when someone is unyielding in their position and unable to use reason and contemplate that they may be wrong.

Ask Tarski if he thinks your husband is smart for wanting to leave you because you don't believe in the Bible. I'm pretty sure he would say your husband needs to shift his thoughts if he views his religious views more importantly than his marriage to you. I'd bet my house on that KA.
And no, I have never been purposefully rude to you. If I was rude, it was entirely unintentional and I apologize. Perhaps your rudeness to me was unintentional. I believe you if you say it was, but I will say that I can see no other way of interpreting what you said other than how I interpreted it. If you write so vaguely that someone needs additional *hints* to understand, then perhaps you should be more clear.

KA

It was not my intention to be rude to you. You said I was in a cult when I was younger. I found that to be very insulting. I don't even call LDS a cult and think of that as a pretty extreme thing to say. You've said it a number of times. I think lots of people on here are rude without considering how their words may sting. I am very sorry in this instance that my words upset you. With complete sincerity it was not my intention to say anything to upset you.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I think your husband is an IDIOT for threatening to leave you and ruin your family because you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible. I'm pretty sure if any man on this board told you that you would have no qualms with it.

I agree with that statement, Book of Mormon. The problem is that isn't what you initially said. You're shifting the focus.

Your initial feeling that your posts were *off* was correct - go back and read them. They do not give the message that you relayed in the above quote. I'm not offended by the statement that my husband is an idiot for threatening to divorce me if I become an atheist. I agree with you on that. I do not agree that is what you said in your earlier posts, even if that is what you meant.

My point is that your original posts were unclear. My interpretation of them was not unreasonable. There is something to be said sometimes for going with our first instincts, and your first instinct that your posts were *off* was spot *on*.

I have no problem with the majority of your premises re: my husband in this post. The problem I had was with your earlier posts and what they said, or didn't say, perhaps. And also, I do not believe that people believing dumb things always equals a lack of intellect. My husband's IQ isn't lowered by his belief in Noah's Ark, and his IQ is fairly high, though not as high as mine. Not by a long shot. ;)

It was not my intention to be rude to you. You said I was in a cult when I was younger. I found that to be very insulting. I don't even call LDS a cult and think of that as a pretty extreme thing to say. You've said it a number of times. I think lots of people on here are rude without considering how their words may sting. I am very sorry in this instance that my words upset you. With complete sincerity it was not my intention to say anything to upset you.

I'm sorry you found my comments regarding your being in a cult when you were younger insulting. I didn't mean them as an insult at all! The Randian movement is widely regarded as a cult - just read Shermer or other cult experts. And the LDS church meets the vast majority of the criteria for a cult. It's just a definition and if it fits, it fits. It's no judgment on the people involved. It was no reflection on you at all that I called Randiansim a cult - heck, I consider that I was in a cult for thirty-two years. I'm not embarrassed about that. I'm just glad I'm out.

And I do believe you that you didn't have the intention of insulting me, and obviously, I don't intend to ignore you, though I do intend to ignore my husband's religious bloviating.

KA
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

KimberlyAnn wrote:
I think your husband is an IDIOT for threatening to leave you and ruin your family because you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible. I'm pretty sure if any man on this board told you that you would have no qualms with it.

I agree with that statement, Book of Mormon. The problem is that isn't what you initially said. You're shifting the focus.

Your initial feeling that your posts were *off* was correct - go back and read them. They do not give the message that you relayed in the above quote. I'm not offended by the statement that my husband is an idiot for threatening to divorce me if I become an atheist. I agree with you on that. I do not agree that is what you said in your earlier posts, even if that is what you meant.

My point is that your original posts were unclear. My interpretation of them was not unreasonable. There is something to be said sometimes for going with our first instincts, and your first instinct that your posts were *off* was spot *on*.

I have no problem with the majority of your premises re: my husband in this post. The problem I had was with your earlier posts and what they said, or didn't say, perhaps. And also, I do not believe that people believing dumb things always equals a lack of intellect. My husband's IQ isn't lowered by his belief in Noah's Ark, and his IQ is fairly high, though not as high as mine. Not by a long shot. ;)

I'm sorry you found my comments regarding your being in a cult when you were younger insulting. I didn't mean them as an insult at all! The Randian movement is widely regarded as a cult - just read Shermer or other cult experts. And the LDS church meets the vast majority of the criteria for a cult. It's just a definition and if it fits, it fits. It's no judgment on the people involved. It was no reflection on you at all that I called Randiansim a cult - heck, I consider that I was in a cult for thirty-two years. I'm not embarrassed about that. I'm just glad I'm out.

And I do believe you that you didn't have the intention of insulting me, and obviously, I don't intend to ignore you, though I do intend to ignore my husband's religious bloviating.

KA

KA, I typed out a few things that I went and deleted... when I signed off with that stupid thing about your husband I really didn't mean your husband was stupid when it came to his thoughts about the Bible. I should have NEVER said that. I feel terrible about that and when I said it I was thinking 'well my husband is a sad sack of crap for never being home but gezz.. atleast he's not going to leave for for something so ridiculous!' And that was a terrible thought and SHOULD have never been written down.

I didn't mean to insult you. I promise you that. And I feel terrible about it!

I'm ignoring your comments about Rand. You assumed that because I read her that meant something about me. It didn't. But I won't take it personally because you don't know.

I am sorry, please accept my apology.