Politics and the Mormon Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Politics and the Mormon Church

Post by _moksha »

This was a on a post at MAD before the thread was inevitably closed:

battlefieldboy - This is a topic that interests me. When I was an active member of the church it used to bug me being the only democrat in a elders quorum full of republicans.

Severian - I know what you mean. There were a few occasions in my own Quorum where the members were waxing so conservatively, that I thought for sure they would sprout horns and burst into flames. Given their propensity for such unholy behavior, it is a very good thing the Church discourages such shenanigans within its meetings.

What do you think about politics in the LDS Church? Does it seem too Right-wing?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Ray A

Re: Politics and the Mormon Church

Post by _Ray A »

moksha wrote:
What do you think about politics in the LDS Church? Does it seem too Right-wing?

That depends on where you live. I believe it was 1979 that Pres. Benson's anti-communist article published in The Ensign was withheld from publication in communist countries like East Germany. The Church has a wide variety of different political leaning members, but I think it's fair to say that most are conservative.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Ray A wrote: The Church has a wide variety of different political leaning members, but I think it's fair to say that most are conservative.

I think you are right about where the majority is at on this issue. What I continually have a problem with is for some members to equate their political conservatism with proper thought for Mormons. I still am not thoroughly sold on the idea that conservatism is compatible with the Christianity of Jesus, but I never the less am at peace knowing that if that is what puts the zip in some Mormons step then so be it. However, I like them to extend this same consideration to those who are either liberal or democratic.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

moksha wrote:
What I continually have a problem with is for some members to equate their political conservatism with proper thought for Mormons.

Indeed, I think you are right. I remember two Mormon ladies arguing about politics and one telling the other she could not be a Labor voter (equivalent of the Dems) and a good Mormon. That didn't then, nor does it now, strike me as making much sense. I was a Labor voter for some 18 years, then I switched to conservative, but I am in fact a "swinging voter", and if I like a Labor politician's ideas enough, and he's criticised by the Left in his own party enough, I'll vote for him/her. Policies influence me more than ideology, and I have libertarian views on some social policies. I'm not anti-abortion, for example. I am perhaps an economic conservative, but a social libertarian, in some things. I believe in compassion for the underprivileged, but I have no time for willful bludgers who feed off taxpayers hard-earned dollars, or for that matter, rich people who liberally use government subsidies.

moksha wrote:I still am not thoroughly sold on the idea that conservatism is compatible with the Christianity of Jesus, but I never the less am at peace knowing that if that is what puts the zip in some Mormons step then so be it. However, I like them to extend this same consideration to those who are either liberal or democratic.

The Jesus of the gospels comes across, to me, as both conservative and liberal. Definitely morally conservative, but in some of the parables he comes across almost as a communist. Although it's only a parable with a religious message, the idea of one who works 12 hours getting the same "pay" as one who works one hour can seem socially unjust. Or the Prodigal son receiving preferential treatment to the ever faithful son. Then he says be as wise as the "children of Mammon" in your dealings. Most of his teachings have dual messages, or what Barbara Thiering called "layers of symbolic interpretation".
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Good point about how Jesus comes across. As you say, sometimes he seems a communist, at other points a mystic, and at the Last Supper, a cannibal. Parables can be hard to interpret at times, can they not? I always base my over all guide point on his two greatest requests of loving God and each other, and let the rest adjust itself to that perspective.

In many ways, it is a shame that politics and religion get entangled with one another.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Ray A wrote:
moksha wrote:

That depends on where you live. I believe it was 1979 that Pres. Benson's anti-communist article published in The Ensign was withheld from publication in communist countries like East Germany. The Church has a wide variety of different political leaning members, but I think it's fair to say that most are conservative.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, Ray. I think that the Church itself, and the leadership, are essentially "conservative," and aligned with the Republican Party, but that that's more a matter of convenience and commonality more than anything else. As you point out, the Church is perfectly willing to adapt itself to different political climes. They are more interested in growth than they are in actually "standing for something, as it were.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

C.S. Lewis talked about the ideal Christian society and said that until God is approached in humility with us asking how to set up the ideal it won't happen. The great danger is that God becomes a patron for our private political causes, useful for the support he provides for us.

In reading the Book of Mormon I can find no support for laissez-faire capitalism and conservatism. If anything they warn about how easy it is for small groups of the elite to become monsters. The warnings leveled against the educated, the clever, and the wealthy are almost constant.

On the other hand the liberal Democrats will find no support either. The Torah (the Book of Mormon Constitution) doesn't have provision for governmental support of the needy and to me it is clear that those in need should be helped by individuals. It also has adulterers put to death and is harsh on the sexual revolution (Jezebel).

Both sides should fear the liars being punished clause.

I have no problem with LDS taking sides with a political party but I do find it laughable that they think they have scriptural support for it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Nehor wrote:On the other hand the liberal Democrats will find no support either. The Torah (the Book of Mormon Constitution) doesn't have provision for governmental support of the needy and to me it is clear that those in need should be helped by individuals.

The Torah (as the Book of Mormon Constitution) has a hard time distinguishing whether we should collectively be our brother's keeper huh? We do know that they have never had difficulty taking an eye for an eye all together, and regarding individual action as mob violence.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Nehor, You stated you thougt it is clear that needy people should be helped by individuals instead of organizations.

Why would that be better? Why not churches, charity organizations or government. They have broader means to help and reach those in need.

Your statement was not clear whether you meant the observation as something clear in general such as to yourself now, or whether you meant that it is clear the Book of Mormon teaches that.

My second question reflects a bit of puzzle I still have about polotics and the Mormon church. I realize the church is flexible enough that people of a variety of political views may be found in the church. Even so the balance has been and apparently still is such that quite conservative view can speak openly as if assuming they are close to being church doctrine. Other political views keep a guard on their mouth. Why?

Is there something about the Book of Mormon that encourages this. Nehor, your general comments about the Book of Mormon indicated you didn't think such a basis exists.

General mistrust of government? Coupled with Mormon historic friction with government?
Teachings that priveledge is based upon both individual effort and reward for fidelity in the preexistece?
Government involves mixing members and nonmembers?
A desire to keep seperate from the rest of society?
Does seperateness increase individual responsibilty?
_JAK
_Emeritus

Post by _JAK »

moksha wrote:This was a on a post at MAD before the thread was inevitably closed:

battlefieldboy - This is a topic that interests me. When I was an active member of the church it used to bug me being the only democrat in a elders quorum full of republicans.

Severian - I know what you mean. There were a few occasions in my own Quorum where the members were waxing so conservatively, that I thought for sure they would sprout horns and burst into flames. Given their propensity for such unholy behavior, it is a very good thing the Church discourages such shenanigans within its meetings.

For those who are “right wing,” there is no such thing as “too Right-wing.” Mitt Romney has made his personal doctrinal shift on a woman’s right to control her productive rights. He has moved from pro-choice to opposing choice for women.

JAK