Why Big Love?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Jersey Girl wrote:Blixa,

Something stood out for me in your comments where you said you longed for and also avoided lets say, your roots, for twenty years. In my life, I longed for and avoided that type of thing for many years until I had the need to "go home again". That one instance of revisiting opened up a journey that has turned out to be extremely positive for me and my family members, and reconciled some issues I'd been pushing aside. Maybe that could happen for you.

Thanks Jersey.

Some of what you say has taken place and is still taking place. I first "went home" in 2002 under very strange and magical circumstances (I've been meaning to rework a description of that trip for my board blog). It was an extremely wonderful and harrowing trip. Since then I've been back for three short visits and soon will be leaving to spend a few months there. The fact that I'm currently researching writing a book about a Utah history related topic speaks volumes about the "return of the repressed" and the inability of ever severing oneself from history (which, in a sense, is the exact point of what I'll be writing about, understood more broadly than just personal history, however).
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I have a nevermo friend who grew up in, and still lives in California, who has known a couple Mormons but never really had much to do with Mormonism at all, really. He's watched every episode of Big Love, and he loves the show. I'm fascinated by that. I've only watched three episodes, but I'd like to watch more, and catch up with the series so I can start watching the current ones. The three shows I saw had lots of little mormonisms that I would think would only be obvious, or understandable, to a Mormon (or exmo), and so it fascinates me that he likes the show so much. I'm sure most of the very subtle Mormonism things in the show go over his head.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Sethbag wrote:I have a nevermo friend who grew up in, and still lives in California, who has known a couple Mormons but never really had much to do with Mormonism at all, really. He's watched every episode of Big Love, and he loves the show. I'm fascinated by that. I've only watched three episodes, but I'd like to watch more, and catch up with the series so I can start watching the current ones. The three shows I saw had lots of little mormonisms that I would think would only be obvious, or understandable, to a Mormon (or exmo), and so it fascinates me that he likes the show so much. I'm sure most of the very subtle Mormonism things in the show go over his head.

The second season is almost literally swimming in "Mormonisms".......there was blood atonement, prophecy via rock in hat, giving of the priesthood, and so many other things.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Some Schmo wrote:.. but the one part of it I cannot abide is the opening sequence. It most certainly is done well to invoke such a strong reaction in me, but man, it gives me the willies. I can't really explain why other than to say it has something to do with making the repulsive seem beautiful, which is a very accurate assessment of how I feel about the Mormon religion and culture in general.

Its funny, Schmo, but I also have a strong reaction to the opening. I think it is really genius. I don't know if I see it entirely the same way you do, but there are certainly elements of that in my response, as well as lots of other feelings...

That's why I think its so geniusy--that it manages to pull up such a strange, strong, and layered response...I guess I would start by saying the imagery is both sublime, sentimental and downright tacky.

Edited:

The opening makes no use of any literal Mormon imagery, but is so close to significant, if not iconic imagery ("the veil" and the velvet painting planet panorama that lines the walk ramp to the Christ statue in the visitor's center in Temple Square) that it almost seems like it is total Mormon kitsch, even though technically its not. And that it invokes "Kolob" is another sheer genius detail: what is more wacky, more arcane and yet more central than Kolob? What else better expresses both the breathtaking ambition, creativity and vision of Joseph Smith, as well as its stunted, limited and freakish expression?

I feel I also need to say here, that while I'm not a believer, I'm not a hater either. What I mean is, in the argot of the street, I hate the game not the player. I don't endorse Joseph Smith, but I find him a much more robust, fascinating and human character than any other in Mormon history. To call elements of his vision "freakish" is not to me a slur so much as an attempt to give him his due for creating something very astonishing and to some degree singular within the limitations of his skill and background.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Sethbag wrote:I have a nevermo friend who grew up in, and still lives in California, who has known a couple Mormons but never really had much to do with Mormonism at all, really. He's watched every episode of Big Love, and he loves the show. I'm fascinated by that. I've only watched three episodes, but I'd like to watch more, and catch up with the series so I can start watching the current ones. The three shows I saw had lots of little mormonisms that I would think would only be obvious, or understandable, to a Mormon (or exmo), and so it fascinates me that he likes the show so much. I'm sure most of the very subtle Mormonism things in the show go over his head.

Maybe your friend likes it because Mormonism, the history, development of the church and doctrines, dynamics and so many other things LDS related really are interesting to an "outsider". That and the fact that Mormonism is a relatively new religion where one has fairly easy access to information unlike the development of Christianity that is so far back in time.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

It's funny, Jersey. I always assumed it was too odd to be of much interest to "outsiders."

Also, my contact with it is both typical and atypical: I do believe I had a pretty good grounding in it even though I never believed and came from a more or less inactive family. In Utah, I don't think that matters; Mormonism permeates every level of the culture ("You're soaking in it," to quote the old postmodern quip about hegemony). You are Mormon whether you are or not, comprende?

That and my own specifically weird connection: yes, my parents never really went to church, but my Dad recorded the Voice of God for one of the First Vision dioramas in the Visitor's Center. You don't grow up with your Dad as the Voice of God without it having a least a little impact....