Why Big Love?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Why Big Love?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I've been reading about the series "Big Love" for many several months now on this and other LDS related boards. Having never seen it, what is the draw of "Big Love" for ex-LDS? Is it because it draws out real facts about Mormonism? Because it parodies Mormonism? Does it make you laugh because it's funny or because it reveals particulars about Mormonism? Would a never-Mo find it interesting and why? I really have no plans to watch it, but I'd like to know why folks are watching it and why it's getting so much attention.

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Re: Why Big Love?

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Jersey Girl wrote:I've been reading about the series "Big Love" for many several months now on this and other LDS related boards. Having never seen it, what is the draw of "Big Love" for ex-LDS? Is it because it draws out real facts about Mormonism? Because it parodies Mormonism? Does it make you laugh because it's funny or because it reveals particulars about Mormonism? Would a never-Mo find it interesting and why? I really have no plans to watch it, but I'd like to know why folks are watching it and why it's getting so much attention.

Jersey Girl

I don't really know what the draw is.....but I think it's funny (in a really ironical and sarcastic way).....I love the dialogue. There's at least 4 or 5 lines that get me laughing out loud every show (which is hard cause I have a very dry sense of humor). It also actually has very good storylines and writing....it really keeps me on the edge of my seat because you honestly don't know what they'll do next.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Bond,

I think this is on HBO and I don't think I can ever see it. Does it make you laugh because of the comedy/sarcasm itself or because it's LDS related and you know what they're referring to? That is to say, are there double meanings to the dialogue?
Chinese Proverb
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Jersey Girl wrote:Bond,

I think this is on HBO and I don't think I can ever see it. Does it make you laugh because of the comedy/sarcasm itself or because it's LDS related and you know what they're referring to? That is to say, are there double meanings to the dialogue?

Both...but not only that the characters will say something that is totally against how they act....leading too triple meanings (if that's possible)...the show really has alot of depth because of all the conflicting interests which are so hard to keep straight as to what character is trying to get what or accomplish whatever....it's like watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 for 12 hours....
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

It is a good show in its own right: wonderful writing/great acting/fun story lines.

BUT,

Having grown up in the unique culture that is Utah (both in and out of Mormonism) it is the first time I have seen my identity represented in the larger culture. When I say "my identity" I mean all the myriad, hard to put into words historical contractions and conditions that produce any individual. For me, these are hard to express precisely to those who I live more or less "in exile" among. Every episode so far has contained bits of those tiny ineffable memory/experience fragments, made directly and quickly accessible via the visual medium to those I don't share a common background with like my husband. He has always known I grew up in a strange place, a place I simultaneously abhor and love, a place that I am heart-broken with longing for and yet avoided visiting for nearly twenty years. And though I've spoken with him and other of my friends about the High Weirdness which spawned me, I've never communicated half what I feel or much beyond the general outline of what Life in Utah amounts to. Big Love functions as kind of "objective correlative," to borrow an Eliotic term from my previous life as a literary scholar, for a host of things I've found pretty hard to communicate since I left Zion...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Canucklehead
_Emeritus

Post by _Canucklehead »

Like many, many HBO programs, it is very well written and original. I don't watch all of the episodes, but my wife does. Whenever I sit down to watch, I usually get a good laugh or two.

I have to say, though, that my favorite aspect is the opening credits with the dinner and figure-skating in a Kolob-esque setting, and all three women walking through a white veil.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Canucklehead wrote:Like many, many HBO programs, it is very well written and original. I don't watch all of the episodes, but my wife does. Whenever I sit down to watch, I usually get a good laugh or two.

I have to say, though, that my favorite aspect is the opening credits with the dinner and figure-skating in a Kolob-esque setting, and all three women walking through a white veil.

Yes...not to mention a great theme song.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Blixa,

Something stood out for me in your comments where you said you longed for and also avoided lets say, your roots, for twenty years. In my life, I longed for and avoided that type of thing for many years until I had the need to "go home again". That one instance of revisiting opened up a journey that has turned out to be extremely positive for me and my family members, and reconciled some issues I'd been pushing aside. Maybe that could happen for you.
Chinese Proverb
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:Like many, many HBO programs, it is very well written and original. I don't watch all of the episodes, but my wife does. Whenever I sit down to watch, I usually get a good laugh or two.

Yes...not to mention a great theme song.

Yep, I really like the show (and I think this season is head and shoulders above last season so far), but the one part of it I cannot abide is the opening sequence. It most certainly is done well to invoke such a strong reaction in me, but man, it gives me the willies. I can't really explain why other than to say it has something to do with making the repulsive seem beautiful, which is a very accurate assessment of how I feel about the Mormon religion and culture in general.

I have my wife trained to make sure we always skip that bit (we DVR it weekly) if she happens to be holding the remote when it comes on.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

I watch it to see the chick from House MD give Bill Paxton head. Gawd shes hot!
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning