Was Noah's the only sailing vessel?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The Nehor wrote:Zeus seemed pretty heterosexual in all the stories I've read about him.

Read some more. Check out Ganymede, for instance, the Trojan boy of great beauty whom Zeus carried away to be his lover and to be cupbearer to the gods. In most artistic representations of the myth its refered to as a "rape" and Zeus often assumed the form of an eagle (Ouch!)

From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Some Schmo wrote:
Scottie wrote:If God's whole plan was to destroy the entire population and start fresh, did he think about these other guys already on ships?

You know, this actually makes for a cool movie premise:

Pirates of the World Flood - the plot is that several bad-asses survived the flood in their ships but didn't have any food, so they hunted down Noah ‘cause they'd heard about his huge meat storage. Thus starts the chase. Things are looking grim for Noah and friends because he made himself what amounted to a giant floating football, so he's a sitting duck waiting to be pillaged. Then, by the grace of divine intervention, god sends a pod of whales to push the boat at high speeds away from the pirates, and sharks come and attack the pirate boats.

Noah's wife is played by Jennifer Aniston, and after the whales push them to safety, she and Noah get busy down by the pigpen.

I want to see this movie made!!

I want to see it made, too, Schmo!

I'm betting you would have made a fine stand up comedian. :)

KA
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
Tarski wrote:You seem to know a lot about the time issues.
Can you also tell us just how long Snow White slept in her glass coffin before the prince broke the spell and woke her?

According to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White ... ot_summary

Despite having done away with the queen, the dwarves return to their cottage and find Snow White seemingly dead. They cannot bear to bury her, and instead build for her a glass coffin trimmed with gold in a clearing in the forest. The dwarves and the woodland creatures keep watch over Snow White through the autumn, winter, and spring. One day, the prince, who had been searching all over for the princess, learns of her plight and comes to visit the coffin. Captivated by her beauty, he approaches the coffin and kisses Snow White, restoring her to life with "love's first kiss."

Although it's vague...let's assume she was in suspended animation for at least 9 months. Of course that is according to the 1937 Disney film....how the original fairy tell went is possibly different.

I just wasted 3 minutes doing this post........how depressing.

Edit: Off-topic but just saw this on the same wiki page and thought it was funny:

The names of the Seven Dwarfs ("Bashful," "Doc," "Dopey," "Grumpy," "Happy," "Sleepy" and "Sneezy") were created for this production, chosen from a pool of about fifty potentials. Blabby, Jumpy, Shifty, and Snoopy were among those that were rejected (along with Scrappy, Cranky, Dirty, Awful, Silly, Daffy, Flabby, Jaunty, Biggo Ego, Chesty, Bald, Gabby, Nifty, Sniffy, Burpy, Lazy, Puffy, Dizzy, Stuffy, Gassy, Tubby, Mr. Shy, Loser, Flaunty, Flasher, Horny, Hairy and Grabby)

I highlighted my favorite rejected Dwarf names...I don't know about you but I think Flasher and Horny could have been real great dwarfs.

I think Gassy ended up in "Blazing Saddles"!
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

The meaning of the story lies in the idea of judgement is proposed by Jersey Girl. I think people have used the story to think about judgement but I do not think it as good results. What can one understand about judgement from this stor? People are bad and me and my few friends will be saved while all the rest of obnoxious humanity will be drowned. I think that is the crappiest idea of judgement devisable by the mind of man.

Maybe the story is about something else. If not the story is not only false if understood as history but spiritually destructive if understood at all.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Hoops wrote:Are we able to offer an explanation with the assumption that there is the Christian God?

This is an open board. You're able to offer any explanation you wish.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

"and the Lord was sorry that he had made humankind on the earth and it grieved him to his heart., I will blot out from the earth the human beings I have created."

Sounds like God decided it was all a mistake. Actually this observation alone indicates to my mind that the story is not literal. The rest of the Bible describes God as knowing exactly what he was doing and providing a salvation from the temporary setbacks of human failing. The flood story does not present this idea.

Instead it adopts the vantage point of an imaginary parable where actors behave in a recognizably imaginary way to make a different point.

I can imagine somebody explaining that all people are sinful and under sentence to death and the flood reflects that reality. There are not many entheusiasts for that idea participating on this board so I may have to be the one to bring it up. I do think it fits the story. It says, " Noah found favor in the sight of the Lord. Noah was a righteouus man, blameless in his generation."'I think for the idea all are worthy of death a person will have to look someplace other than the flood story, it doesn't teach it.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

huckelberry wrote: Maybe the story is about something else. If not the story is not only false if understood as history but spiritually destructive if understood at all.

I think it is about good Disaster Management Planning, something that Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) had to learn through failure subsequent to the Katrina Huricane.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Moksha proposes, good Disaster management planning. I think that is a distinct improvement in interpretation. Perhaps the interpretation works better with a fairly hight leval of abstraction.

There is a difference between the path of life and the path of death. The basic pricipals of life(God) is in harmony with one and not the other. Or parhaps the story is an illustration of the idea that God is providing a parth or oportunity out of the trap of human evil. I think as illustration it works better if one doesn't try to make it literal.

One big problem with interpreting the story literally is that we no longer have much belief that there was once a time when all human evil reached a maximum leaving no alternative but distruction. We read the story and picture a world full of ordinary people like live now nnd think God must be nasty to just up and destroy all that. Problem is that is not the story being told. The story being told is that everything was terminally awful. Combining our history story wherein all kinds of good and bad people lived during the ten tousand years bc with the Noah story results in a garbled mixture where Gods action looses whatever sense it has in the Biblical story. That is in the Biblical story human evil had reach a sort of exemplary purity. It was so bad it had to be destroyed.

It does not make any sense to say you do not believe the story premise but want to judge the rest of the story as if it actually happened. It is all literal in which case people were actually that bad or it is fiction where the meaning depends upon thinking within the frame of the premise.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Blixa wrote:
Read some more. Check out Ganymede, for instance, the Trojan boy of great beauty whom Zeus carried away to be his lover and to be cupbearer to the gods. In most artistic representations of the myth its refered to as a "rape" and Zeus often assumed the form of an eagle (Ouch!)

You are correct, I'd forgotten that story. I now fear Zeus. :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The Nehor wrote:
Blixa wrote:

You are correct, I'd forgotten that story. I now fear Zeus. :)

Quite right. Those talons are sharp...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."