Was Noah's the only sailing vessel?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Hoops wrote:
Tarski wrote:But then you don't offer an explanation of the supposedly less shallow or deep view.
Please enlighten us.

Are we able to offer an explanation with the assumption that there is the Christian God?

If we're allowed to rebut your explanation with the assumption that Zeus exists.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Sethbag wrote:
Hoops wrote:
Tarski wrote:But then you don't offer an explanation of the supposedly less shallow or deep view.
Please enlighten us.

Are we able to offer an explanation with the assumption that there is the Christian God?

If we're allowed to rebut your explanation with the assumption that Zeus exists.

As the LDS Church does not condemn a belief in Zeus I have no problem with this debate.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Nehor, Zeus is very angry with you. You have not sacrificed a bull to him. If you should persist in such willful disobedience to the accepted forms of Zeus adoration and worship, he may visit you in the form of something you wouldn't recognize as Zeus and molest you sexually.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Sethbag wrote:Nehor, Zeus is very angry with you. You have not sacrificed a bull to him. If you should persist in such willful disobedience to the accepted forms of Zeus adoration and worship, he may visit you in the form of something you wouldn't recognize as Zeus and molest you sexually.

Zeus seemed pretty heterosexual in all the stories I've read about him. I said I could believe in Zeus. Didn't say I'd worship him. Can't be bothered to. The God I worship is supreme and sent his Son to atone for my sins. Zeus is obsessed with Olympian politics and his son just went around tearing things up while his stepmother tried to kill him. I did like the movie though. The whole Hercules becoming a God metaphor when he sacrificed all to aid someone he loved was pretty spot on. Plus Hades was possibly the best Disney villain since Maleficent.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Leave it to those Sumerians to exaggerate their seasonal flood!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Loquacious Lurker
_Emeritus

Post by _Loquacious Lurker »

The Nehor wrote:
If he was a typical Bronze Age tribal deity why the huge Jewish attempt to justify it?

Maybe even they had twinges of conscience as they dashed infants' heads against a rock as per "God's" instructions.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

If God's whole plan was to destroy the entire population and start fresh, did he think about these other guys already on ships?
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Hoops wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:
Hoops wrote:Your knee-jerk moralizing is quite impressive - remind me not to go to the horse races with you "look at the pretty colors, there's red and green and blue. I pick him, I pick him."

So, are you recognizing that there is a God but you just find Him objectionable?

Are you talking to me?

It seems there are several here who self righteously proclaim their shock, couched in emotionalizm, secure in the knowledge that most here will happily support their shallow thinking.

Let me guess; deep thinking would include all kinds of supernatural god power explanations and "parents knowing things that children don't" stuff?

How deep!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Scottie wrote:If God's whole plan was to destroy the entire population and start fresh, did he think about these other guys already on ships?

You know, this actually makes for a cool movie premise:

Pirates of the World Flood - the plot is that several bad-asses survived the flood in their ships but didn't have any food, so they hunted down Noah ‘cause they'd heard about his huge meat storage. Thus starts the chase. Things are looking grim for Noah and friends because he made himself what amounted to a giant floating football, so he's a sitting duck waiting to be pillaged. Then, by the grace of divine intervention, god sends a pod of whales to push the boat at high speeds away from the pirates, and sharks come and attack the pirate boats.

Noah's wife is played by Jennifer Aniston, and after the whales push them to safety, she and Noah get busy down by the pigpen.

I want to see this movie made!!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Re: Was Noah's the only sailing vessel?

Post by _Tarski »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tarski wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
Scottie wrote:Are we to believe that Noah's boat was the only boat around during the great flood?

Surely there were other mariners already on the sea that could survive a 40 day rainstorm without sinking, right?

I don't think the point of the story is the boat, other boats, a 40 day rainstorm or a flood.

So what is the point?

Judgement.

Well, that's the other reason it is unbelievable. Unless ever man women and child was a premeditated murderer the judgement doesn't make sense. Actually, it doesn't make sense anyway in the case of young children.

The story is absurd from every possible angle.
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo