The Enemy of Reason

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Blixa, it's because our schools are spitting out ready made workers, not thinkers.

Intellectual is a four letter word in America.

The history of american higher education is interesting in this respect. I see two recent (and not unconnected) historical moments as wreaking some of the worst damage we now suffer from.

One is the destruction by McCarthism of what scant "left" tradition existed in the american academy (I'm speaking of the fuller understanding of politics, history and economics beyond the current needs of bourgeois capitalism that one finds in every other nation). The attack on Hollywood is well known; less known the evisceration of the university: lives ruined, jobs lost, an intellectual tradition and body of work destroyed or retarded (by the way, this was often carried out under the ruse of routing homosexuals from the campus!).

The other is the total (and still continuing) subordination of the academy to the needs of business or Eisenhower's famous phrase, "the military/industrial complex" (private as opposed to public needs, in other words). Did you know that it is from this that the "discipline" of Freshman Composition emerged?

Pedagogical history and theory are one of my scholarly areas of expertise...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Blixa wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:Blixa, it's because our schools are spitting out ready made workers, not thinkers.

The history of american higher education is interesting in this respect. I see two recent (and not unconnected) historical moments as wreaking some of the worst damage we now suffer from.

One is the destruction by McCarthism of what scant "left" tradition existed in the american academy (I'm speaking of the fuller understanding of politics, history and economics beyond the current needs of bourgeois capitalism that one finds in every other nation). The attack on Hollywood is well known; less known the evisceration of the university: lives ruined, jobs lost, an intellectual tradition and body of work destroyed or retarded (by the way, this was often carried out under the ruse of routing homosexuals from the campus!).

Oh! I wasn't aware of this. I'm always amazed at all the things that I didn't know I don't know! Is there a book or link you can direct me to?

The other is the total (and still continuing) subordination of the academy to the needs of business or Eisenhower's famous phrase, "the military/industrial complex" (private as opposed to public needs, in other words). Did you know that it is from this that the "discipline" of Freshman Composition emerged?

No, again refer to my above statement about things I know. :)

Pedagogical history and theory are one of my scholarly areas of expertise...

When I grow up I want to be just like you!
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

barrelomonkeys wrote:When I grow up I want to be just like you!

This could be one of those "be careful what you wish for," or "if you pull that face it might freeze that way forever" things your mother warned you about! : )

I'll put together some titles for you...give me a few minutes...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

Exactly.
when believers want to give their claims more weight, they dress these claims up in scientific terms. When believers want to belittle atheism or secular humanism, they call it a "religion". -Beastie

yesterday's Mormon doctrine is today's Mormon folklore.-Buffalo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Here are three books to start with:

No Ivory Tower: McCarthyism and the Universities by Ellen W. Schrecker

English in America by Richard Ohmann (NB, section III: "English 101 and the Military-Industrial Complex")

The Scarlet Professor: Newton Arvin, a literary life shattered by scandal by Barry Werth
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Blixa wrote:Here are three books to start with:

No Ivory Tower: McCarthyism and the Universities by Ellen W. Schrecker

English in America by Richard Ohmann (NB, section III: "English 101 and the Military-Industrial Complex")

The Scarlet Professor: Newton Arvin, a literary life shattered by scandal by Barry Werth

Oh thank you Blixa! I'll start with the McCarthyism one as that's always interested me!

Thanks!