Why do TBMs Hate "September Dawn"?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

[delete unkind comment]
Last edited by Gadianton on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I think it’s a shame Hollywood did elaborate on the story. The history is tragic and horrific and in no need of extra tweaks. I recall reading about MMM for the first time on the crime library website about a year ago and being sickened and had difficulty getting the mental images out of my mind. I couldn’t believe what happened those few days that ended in a slaughter on September 11th 1857. There was no need for Hollywood to screw with the “story”. It’s a shame they did.

I’ll probably rent the movie when it comes out but will probably be disappointed.

I think a lot of posters on MAD are pissed off for the same reason my mother huffed and fumed when Mississippi Burning was made and it made the South look racist. Funny enough, the South was racist. ;)
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

wenglund wrote:[delete unkind comment]

I have poor impulse control too sometimes! :)
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

No Doubt It's a Hit Piece.

Post by _Inconceivable »

Some Schmo wrote:It sounds as though the film makers took just as much liberty with actual recorded history as the church does. Why this should bother any Mormon, I don't know. All's fair in love, war, and revisionist history, I'd say.

As pre-emptive damage control, the church's website made an effort to paint the incident in a more positive light for the Mormons. The fact of the matter is that most Mormons were unaware of the troubling history at all until the statement was posted. Now they know.

http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/index. ... 94610aRCRD

If it were not an indictment against the church and for what it claims to exemplify, this information would have been forcoming long ago. But it was first degree murder and by more than one that became the scapegoat. A church does not take action of this magnitude without the enticings and representation of its head.

There is yet to be closure as well as disclosure. The church buried this. After 150 years the light is finally on and perhaps there will be sufficient outcry for an accounting.

We will have to see what happens.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Y
ou are aware that Mormonism has quite a few sects itself, right? Each one claiming true authority. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the different sects of Hinduism.

This is a false statement. Mormonism has not sects. It has cultic offshoots or branches, but these are completely and utterly outside of "Mormonism" Protestant Christianity has "sects"; divisions within itself in which there is disagreement but in which all are held to be legitimate forms of Protestant Christianity in a broader sense. This is not the case with the Church. That which is outside it, is outside it, period. The "sects" you mention are apostate offshoots that have no connection to the Church except in a historical sense. They are not members, and are not considered to be "Mormons".
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

Coggins7 wrote:Y
ou are aware that Mormonism has quite a few sects itself, right? Each one claiming true authority. I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about the different sects of Hinduism.

This is a false statement. Mormonism has not sects. It has cultic offshoots or branches, but these are completely and utterly outside of "Mormonism" Protestant Christianity has "sects"; divisions within itself in which there is disagreement but in which all are held to be legitimate forms of Protestant Christianity in a broader sense. This is not the case with the Church. That which is outside it, is outside it, period. The "sects" you mention are apostate offshoots that have no connection to the Church except in a historical sense. They are not members, and are not considered to be "Mormons".

Yeah, they all say the same thing about you.

If anything, the FLDS is the most true form of Mormonism. Just because it isn't the largest, but then we all know that the size of a religion has nothing to do with it's truthfulness, right?

The LDS church is just another offshoot from the FLDS. You should really think about joining the One True Church....not just some offshoot that BY took west where it could flourish.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I am, as a matter of fact, very skeptical of docudramas. Many people learn their history from Oliver Stone and the like, and this is troubling.

Oh reeeaahillly? Tell us how you feel abot the docudramas that LDS Inc cranks out and foists upon its members as fact.

Do you consider the "Restoration DVD" FACTUALLY SOUND?

How about the facade called Legacy foisted upon the fawning members?

in my opinion, there is more evidence that BY ordered the massacre, than there is about the supposed first vision.
_ktallamigo
_Emeritus

I didn't know squat...

Post by _ktallamigo »

Speaking from my own experience, as a TBM, chapel Mormon -- until recently:

I didn't know anything about the MMM. Nothing. It could have been the U.S. Army attacking the innocent pioneers, for all I knew.

And this ignorance is in spite of going through the Utah public school system (including 4th grade Utah history), 45 years of attending church every week, graduating from seminary, taking a couple of LDS institute classes, serving a full-time LDS mission, earning a degree in History at the UofU (but I didn't take a Utah history class).

Now - you could say that it was my responsibility to search these things out, that this is generally known, if I was too stupid to know about this it is my own fault. True - I guess. But in all this Utah culture and education and a lifetime of (almost) perfect church attendance - why was this never mentioned, addressed, or discussed? Why does no one in my family know anything about it? Why do none of my friends know about it? Why does my colleague, raised in Enterpise Utah (right in the backyard of Mountain Meadows) not understand what happened there?

Also - I had many people whom I loved and trusted tell me not to read church history, and stay away from anti-Mormon literature. I followed this advice most of my life.

I just finished reading Will Bagley's Blood of the Prophets. I think he does a good job documenting that Brigham Young did tacitly consent beforehand to the attack on the immigrants (he presents new evidence).

I think, in Mormon culture, even the slightest criticism or suggestion that our Mormon forefathers might have done something wrong is heresy!!

I am looking forward to seeing the film.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Brigham said the day would come when thousands would be made Eunuchs in order for them to be saved in the kingdom of God." (Wilford Woodruff's Diary, June 2, 1857, Vol. 5, pages 54-55)
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I am, as a matter of fact, very skeptical of docudramas. Many people learn their history from Oliver Stone and the like, and this is troubling.

Oh reeeaahillly? Tell us how you feel abot the docudramas that LDS Inc cranks out and foists upon its members as fact.

How about the favorite Mormon histordama, The Work and the Glory book series? Many member have said it is a great way to learn Mormon history.

An RM sister missionary did a review of the first work-glory movie for Desbooks and said that while on her service mission at Nauvoo it was very common for the MEMBERS to ask where Steed Row was!

in my opinion, there is more evidence that BY ordered the massacre, than there is about the supposed first vision.
Last edited by Ask Jeeves [Bot] on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Polygamy Porter wrote:

I think they're essentially accurate.

Polygamy Porter wrote:in my opinion, there is more evidence that BY ordered the massacre, than there is about the supposed first vision.

We disagree.