The prayer of a six year old, car keys and all.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

The prayer of a six year old, car keys and all.

Post by _Maxrep »

One day our 6 year old daughter enters the kitchen area where her mother and I are. She has a look on her face like there is a lump in her throat. My wife asks her whats wrong. Apparently she can't find her dance shoes for dance class. In her little world this is somewhat serious.

She blurts out, "I prayed so I could find them and they're not anywhere". She is pretty upset now so my wife tries to calm her and talk to her about where the shoes might be.

We have never taught our kids to pray for lost items. Honeslty, we don't pray that often, so this must have been her own initiative in action. My wife is luke warm with the church. Being a bit of a non believer, I knew better than to try and stick my nose into this situation. I felt bad though :(

Our daughter went off to look for her shoes again.

In a few minutes she came back again, now crying.

"Mom, I prayed again to find my shoes and it didn't work!" Big tears this time. This is hard to watch! What do you say? I'm almost a little angry now, kinda thinking - hey God, if you're out there you could throw my daughter a bone. She's sincere, and praying twice in a row was completely her idea - faith of a mustard seed ya know? I'm also wondering why we set up our kids for failure like this?

My wife went off with my daughter to help with her shoes but didn't broach the prayer subject. I continued fixing dinner. My wife re enters the kitchen. I stay busy and try to avoid eye contact. Those of you in a believer/non believer household might understand!

I can feel my wifes eyes drilling a hole in my back, so I finally turn and look at her. She has a solid frown on her face with a touch of a smirk as well. "What?" I exclaim, "I didn't say anything". The expression was priceless. It kinda acknowledged her frustration with the seemingly worthless nature of prayer!

I guess in closing, this probably isn't one of those "found car keys" stories you could hear in fast and testimony meeting. Talk about being at a loss for words. Neither my wife nor I had any idea what to say when this happenned, just say nothing and go look for the shoes.

P.S When I mentioned we don't pray frequently I was reminded of a time my MIL came over for dinner. This same 6 year old daughter said at the table, loud enough for all to hear, "Why do we only pray when grandma comes over"? - again, at a loss for words! Ha ha.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Only pray when grandma comes over! Too cute!

My kids sometime try prayer. Although I'm an agnostic and my husband is an atheist and neither of us pray. I tell them if they feel they must pray then ask "God" or whatever to give them strength to help them accomplish whatever they need to do or cope with. Don't ask for anything... ask for help doing.

Good luck. :)
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Eccl. 3: 4
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

It was not the time to dance...
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Just think - if she would have found the dance shoes - that would have been another F&T meeting FPS.

You win some, you lose some.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Dammit, Maxrep! Don't keep us in suspense!

Did you ever find the dance shoes, or didn't you?
If you did, where were they?

(I don't think I'll be able to sleep until you answer this)
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

Dr. Shades wrote:Dammit, Maxrep! Don't keep us in suspense!

Did you ever find the dance shoes, or didn't you?
If you did, where were they?

(I don't think I'll be able to sleep until you answer this)

I'm sorry Shades,

I don't remember a happy ending for that particular evening. I'm sure the shoes turned up down the road - but have no idea where they were hiding.

I could tell my wife that some folk on a discussion board were curious about the conclusion.....but that might not be so wise!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Eccl. 3: 4
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

It was not the time to dance...

One can still have Happy Feet without the shoes...

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace