Mormon's Great and Spacious Building - The Hinckley Center

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Daniel Peterson wrote:Not that this ought to count, or anything, but I've actually been in the Hinckley Building (even while it was under construction), and I know the functions that it's going to serve.

It's a nice building, but it's not extravagant and it was very much needed. It will be well used. I'm sorry that its construction has so offended a person who presumably contributed nothing to it. Life is like that, though.

What was the funding source for this building? And why would BYU alumni need such a large facility?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Anyone else notice that no matter what the Church does with it's money it is labeled as being a waste of people's funds?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

harmony wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:Not that this ought to count, or anything, but I've actually been in the Hinckley Building (even while it was under construction), and I know the functions that it's going to serve.

It's a nice building, but it's not extravagant and it was very much needed. It will be well used. I'm sorry that its construction has so offended a person who presumably contributed nothing to it. Life is like that, though.

What was the funding source for this building?
Supposedly th mindless moronic alumnus

And why would BYU alumni need such a large facility?[/quote]Cuz the majority never leave happy friggin valley.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

The Nehor wrote:Anyone else notice that no matter what the Church does with it's money it is labeled as being a waste of people's funds?
Neh, go find yourself a lady.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Anyone else notice that no matter what the Church does with it's money it is labeled as being a waste of people's funds?
Neh, go find yourself a lady.

You have one in mind, I'm looking. Not sure how this relates.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Besides this building, I think they should name the new Salt Lake City Mall after President Hinckley.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

moksha wrote:Besides this building, I think they should name the new Salt Lake City Mall after President Hinckley.

I think we should name it Zion's mall. What's one more oxymoron?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The Nehor wrote:
moksha wrote:Besides this building, I think they should name the new Salt Lake City Mall after President Hinckley.

I think we should name it Zion's mall. What's one more oxymoron?

Could they erect a Zion Curtain around the Victoria's Secret lingerie shop?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Yes. And the funny thing is, that's literally true.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

Tithing: Mandatory (to qualify for a valid temple recommend) Primarily to build/maintain chapels, temples and schools

My kids will never qualify for a church sponsered university. I have yet to understand why I should feel comfortable seeing tithes go to benefit an inordinate amount of rich Mormon parent's children.

As a TBM, I never shorted this program. Although I've never felt well about what they've done with the money donated by the poor.

I have trouble agreeing with tithing spent on "the kingdom of God" - represented by buildings where most of the attendants are neither lacking in food or shelter.

Fast Offering:A Request Is not a requirement for a temple recommend. These are funds dispersed by the church to benefit those less fortunate

This is where my entire "charitable contribution" now goes toward. Specifically to the "Humanitarian Fund" - to keep it as far from lazy ward members as I possibly can.

Hinkley is not even dead yet.