Mormon's Great and Spacious Building - The Hinckley Center

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dakotah
_Emeritus

Post by _Dakotah »

"I thought prophets were supposed to be humble."

They are. That is why they ride around in Cadillac limos instead of Rolls Royce limos. Can't you see that?

Now what I want to see is these guys rename the new Church Conference building the Albert Speer Memorial. Take a look at the designs Speer came up with and see if this doesn't look like a direct rip off of his plans for Berlin?
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

beastie wrote:No, it upsets me that people who can't afford to tithe are pressured into doing so, and then the church builds extravagant buildings, and names them after people. "A building worthy of the name". Please. I thought prophets were supposed to be humble.

I doubt tithes were used to pay for this; probably most of the construction funds were raised through donations.

I think you need to be realistic here. Universities require physical facilities, and they need to be updated from time to time, and they're not going to be put together with hay and bailing wire. The old alumni building was a rundown, ramshackle building that probably no longer met the needs of the university.

I don't see any reason for criticism. It looks like a quite nice addition to BYU's physical facilitites.

One day maybe they'll even get around to tearing down the old decrepid Knight Magnum Hall, where, I believe but am not sure, our good friend Dr. P has his offices. That one is long overdue also, and Dr. P needs a nicer office where he can pass the day away posting on internet discussion boards, writing Mormon fluff pieces, constructing arguments of how polyandry is actually wonderful and Joseph Smith was a true prophet for restoring it, preparing his "rock star" speeches to adoring fans in the Varsity Theatre, and generally not doing productive academic work.

Now, pressuring/guilting poor people to pay 10% of their meagre income to build ugly, modernistic buildings in which people wearing funny clothes do cult rituals that "benefit" the . . . dead (wtf), that's worthy of criticism.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

So the original critic on this thread was slightly off the mark because the money does not come from tithing. At times I do feel that critics should not give knee jerk responses or complaints about the lds church until they investigate all the facts. In this case, there is no case against the church.

Next critic issue?

I was incorrect in one detail, which doesn't change my larger point. The church has totally bought into mainstream society, which includes building large, extravagant buildings and naming them after their leaders.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Guy,

My criticism isn't that they're building large buildings for the university, of course they have to do that. My criticism had to do with the naming the building after Hinckley and then writing an article talking about a building "fit to carry his name". Leaders of the church enjoy the large and spacious building as much as any other leader of any other organization.... which is my point. They're OF the world, not apart from it.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

If Scratch will permit, I would like to respond briefly to the brilliant and accomplished Guy Sajer.

guy sajer wrote:One day maybe they'll even get around to tearing down the old decrepid Knight Magnum Hall, where, I believe but am not sure, our good friend Dr. P has his offices. That one is long overdue also,

I do not have my office there, and never have.

But, you'll be happy to know, the Knight Mangum Building -- note the spelling -- is in fact slated to come down.

guy sajer wrote:Dr. P needs a nicer office where he can pass the day away posting on internet discussion boards, writing Mormon fluff pieces, constructing arguments of how polyandry is actually wonderful and Joseph Smith was a true prophet for restoring it, preparing his "rock star" speeches to adoring fans in the Varsity Theatre, and generally not doing productive academic work.

Although I'm not by any stretch a mental health professional, I understand that you suffer from a compulsion to comment on my academic career every week or so even though you don't actually know enough to judge it. Still, you ought, perhaps, to avoid making public pronouncements based upon your hallucinations: Although I'm sure you think you've read it, and may even imagine that you're holding it in your hands at this very moment (while you're issuing orders to the cavalry at Waterloo, perhaps), I have never written anything even remotely connected to the subject of polyandry. Your other pronouncements on me are typically just as loosely tied to the world of empirical reality, but they're not usually this obviously bogus.

Incidentally, your reference to my allegedly "adoring fans in the Varsity Theatre" -- you could have made your point more forcefully if you had known that I gave four lectures last week to much larger audiences (1500-1600) in the Wilkinson Center ballroom -- suggests that you may have been something of a flop as a lecturer. Would jealousy perhaps account, at least in part, for your animus? If so, take comfort: Immanuel Kant was apparently fairly dull, too, and he was very nearly as brilliant as you are.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

Deleted duplicate post.

Nothing better to do.

No life. No career.

Ask Guy Sajer.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

beastie wrote:
Next on the agenda - a gold plated statue worthy of the man!!!! Or heck, the LDS church can make it PURE gold!!

Is that one of those statues where you can lift the tail and tootsie rolls come out? Then maybe it would be worthy of the man.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

why me wrote:Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry with th critics complaints. But this one made me laugh. I suppose that the church should only build small log buildings that fit 12 people. I suppose that this may be humble enough but not very practical. As the lds church grows, buildings will need to accomodate the need. It is as simple as that.

Really, critics, you need to get a life and stop moaning about buildings and malls. And if the critic is out of the church, why should that critic care how money is spent?
Really, jack Mormons, you need to crap or get off the pot.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Daniel Peterson wrote:Deleted duplicate post.

Nothing better to do.

No life. No career.

Ask Guy Sajer.
Don't you have some teen boys outside of your bishop office waiting for you to harass them with questions concerning masturbation?

Seriously, when do you start your new gig?
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

why me wrote:As the lds church grows, buildings will need to accomodate the need. It is as simple as that.

Really, critics, you need to get a life and stop moaning about buildings and malls. And if the critic is out of the church, why should that critic care how money is spent?

Why me,

As the church dimishes in size what will they do with all the space? I left a very small vacuum :(

Why am I moaning? I paid a full tithe all my life - even when I couldn't afford a dependable running car, tuition, doctor bills, insurance, water for where the grass is supposed to be, electricity to cool the home at the temperature the ward building was maintained at. New clothes for our children instead of yardsale crap, an IRA...

My wife and I were incapable of giving a generous fast offering for the first 12 years, if any at all. We literally needed it to maintain an extremely modest household - while the GA's and rich Mormon's kids were sucking up our tithing donation decking out comfortable offices, new educational buildings etc.

I hate what they did to me and so many others. I'll get over it in time.

I'll make you a deal: help me get a refund, and it will help me feel a little better sooner.

Show me the money!!!