!!!Finally!!! College Football is here...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

William Schryver wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:
dartagnan wrote:Well, in his defense, Will didn't know what the phrase meant.

Well, neither did I when I read it, lol! I asked my husband and was mortified by his answer. I know in most cases it's being used to describe a group of guys stroking one another's egos, and I understand that, but still...the disgusting imagery. ewww.

KA

You're exactly right, Kimberly. That's the meaning the phrase has acquired when used in respectable company. And, last year when I employed that very colorful and descriptive phrase, that was exactly my meaning and context -- and everyone concerned knew it. But, since it was so fashionable then (and remains so now) to make me an offender for a word, my use of the phrase was pounced upon immediately by certain parties willing and anxious to deride me in any way possible.

And so I just let it go. Until now. But now you, with your honest and truthful admission, have served to formally vindicate me. And for that I thank you.

Now, the bad boys in the room may resume their circle jerk unimpeded by any sense that they're engaged in something immoral.

Oh, we were just messin' with you. Kind of like your post in reply to me earlier in this thread.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_William Schryver
_Emeritus

Post by _William Schryver »

Kimberly,

Actually, the comments were made here. I'm much more "respectable" when I post on the MAD board. You know, when in Rome ...

Anyway, you're correct in concluding that I'm not the "Peter Priesthood" that some people have tried to paint me as. I have several "rough edges," so to speak. And, frankly, I'm not that interested in having them smoothed over at this point in my life. There are enough colorless Mormons without me adding to their number.

You queried:

Now, if I only knew what Silentkid meant by spunk toast...

Believe me, you don't want to know. Contrary to Kevin's suggestions that I was not familiar with the more vulgar connotations for "circle jerk" back when I first used the phrase -- I was. I guess I simply trusted that its evolved meaning would have superseded the original in the minds of the readers here. In retrospect (and having read Polygamy Porter's and Schmo's posts, I'm sure you'll agree) I can now see that I was making an incorrect assumption. In a place where masturbation has attained unto the status of the first fundamental right of self-expression, one should also assume that all language will be reduced to its lowest common denominator.
... every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol ...
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

William Schryver wrote:I guess I simply trusted that its evolved meaning would have superseded the original in the minds of the readers here. In retrospect (and having read Polygamy Porter's and Schmo's posts, I'm sure you'll agree) I can now see that I was making an incorrect assumption. In a place where masturbation has attained unto the status of the first fundamental right of self-expression, one should also assume that all language will be reduced to its lowest common denominator.

Many words and phrases in our complex and beautiful language have double meanings. Some of those meanings are the result of the vile world in which we live. It should be your goal to use language that has not been co-opted by us heathens. This can be tricky. I wish you the best.

KA: Will is right. You really don't want to know what spunk toast is. I'm sorry for throwing that out there. ;)
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

William Schryver wrote:Kimberly,

Actually, the comments were made here. I'm much more "respectable" when I post on the MAD board. You know, when in Rome ...

Anyway, you're correct in concluding that I'm not the "Peter Priesthood" that some people have tried to paint me as. I have several "rough edges," so to speak. And, frankly, I'm not that interested in having them smoothed over at this point in my life. There are enough colorless Mormons without me adding to their number.

You queried:

Now, if I only knew what Silentkid meant by spunk toast...

Believe me, you don't want to know. Contrary to Kevin's suggestions that I was not familiar with the more vulgar connotations for "circle jerk" back when I first used the phrase -- I was. I guess I simply trusted that its evolved meaning would have superseded the original in the minds of the readers here. In retrospect (and having read Polygamy Porter's and Schmo's posts, I'm sure you'll agree) I can now see that I was making an incorrect assumption. In a place where masturbation has attained unto the status of the first fundamental right of self-expression, one should also assume that all language will be reduced to its lowest common denominator.

Oh, I know so little about it that I assumed the comments were made on MAD!

I'll take your word for it that I don't want to know what spunk toast is. It's funny - I've learned several new things I didn't need to know on this board, many of them from Mormons. I guess there are more rough-around-the-edges Mormons on the internet than there were in my former ward!

There are a lot of colorless Mormons. Most of the colorful ones I know have apostatized or are close to it. You may be in trouble, William Schryver! Or, in luck, depending on the viewpoint.

KA
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

personage wrote:
ozemc wrote:Well, since I'm from Georgia, and did NOT go to BYU like it seems so many others here did, all I can say is ...

HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!

:)

I am a long time Boise State season ticket holder and when you say"HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!" it sends shivers down my spine. I remember a couple of years ago when the Broncos went down to Georgia to make a statement and ended up curling up in the fetal position whimpering "find a happy place".
Much props to the Bulldogs. I want a re-match on The Blue.

Sounds good.

Seriously, I'm not too sure about my Bulldogs this year. I think they'll be respectable, maybe 7-4 or 8-3, but not way up there. They'll probably lose to at least Florida and Auburn.

It is hard for teams to go to Stanford stadium "between the hedges", and not feel intimidated!

GO DOGS!
Last edited by Rholland on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Since leaving BYU, I honestly don't care how it does in sports. I don't root against it (except when it plays the U--I know, I'm a real turncoat), but I don't root for it.

I don't watch hardly any college sports anymore besides the big bowl games and March Madness. I am more a pro sports fan. I love the NFL, and I'm a huge Utah Jazz fan (and season ticket holder). In football, my allegiance shifts depending on the season, though I'm now rooting for the Saints, a long-suffering franchise that deserves a winning team, finally. I like to root for Cinderellas, regardless of the sport (except if they're playing the Jazz).
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

guy sajer wrote:Since leaving BYU, I honestly don't care how it does in sports. I don't root against it (except when it plays the U--I know, I'm a real turncoat), but I don't root for it.

I don't watch hardly any college sports anymore besides the big bowl games and March Madness. I am more a pro sports fan. I love the NFL, and I'm a huge Utah Jazz fan (and season ticket holder). In football, my allegiance shifts depending on the season, though I'm now rooting for the Saints, a long-suffering franchise that deserves a winning team, finally. I like to root for Cinderellas, regardless of the sport (except if they're playing the Jazz).

I don't understand the appeal of the NFL, Guy. The players and owners are all in it for greed, seems like to me. I do like Monday night games in a way. The theme song is catchy at least.

Perhaps I don't care much for it because my husband is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan. He even goes to their training camp to watch them! The Cowboys are obnoxious in my opinion, but in my home, there's no rooting allowed for anyone else! Believe me I've tried, but found it wasn't worth a divorce, lol!

KA
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I don't understand the appeal of the NFL

The players are better. The game is better. All the teams play for 1 ultimate champion.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:I don't understand the appeal of the NFL

The players are better. The game is better. All the teams play for 1 ultimate champion.

That sounds like a slogan for LDSForums.com. ;-)
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
guy sajer wrote:Since leaving BYU, I honestly don't care how it does in sports. I don't root against it (except when it plays the U--I know, I'm a real turncoat), but I don't root for it.

I don't understand the appeal of the NFL, Guy. The players and owners are all in it for greed, seems like to me. I do like Monday night games in a way. The theme song is catchy at least.

Perhaps I don't care much for it because my husband is a huge Dallas Cowboys fan. He even goes to their training camp to watch them! The Cowboys are obnoxious in my opinion, but in my home, there's no rooting allowed for anyone else! Believe me I've tried, but found it wasn't worth a divorce, lol!

KA

Do you not listen to music or go to movies because the singers and actors are "greedy?" Cate Blanchet probably makes a lot more money per year than the average pro athlete, yet no one seems to resent her because she's in it "for the money."

If the players didn't make the money, the owners would, who'd you rather see profit off of athletics, the industrialist or the player? No one goes to a game to watch Bob Kraft and Jerry Krause go at each other; it's the players we go to see, so why shouldn't they capture the economic rents that would otherwise go to the owners?

Besides, the quality of play at the pro level is quantumly better, which is why I like it more. Both college and pro are driven by money, except that in the pros, it's the players who get a higher share of it than in college, where the money goes to suits at networks and high profile coaches.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."