!!!Finally!!! College Football is here...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

I suppose you're right, Guy, it's just been irritating watching players hold out for what seems like outrageous amounts of money, though, yes, I'd rather see it go to the players than the owners.

Also, I can't quite see the reason for salary caps. Is that a tool to keep the players from bargaining for higher salaries from other teams? That does seem an unfair advantage for owners if that's the reason for the cap, but I don't know enough about it to make any judgment calls. The whole system seems strange, but I suppose they do what they can to keep it competitive and interesting for the fans.

Good luck to your Saints.

KA
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

KimberlyAnn wrote:I suppose you're right, Guy, it's just been irritating watching players hold out for what seems like outrageous amounts of money, though, yes, I'd rather see it go to the players than the owners.

Also, I can't quite see the reason for salary caps. Is that a tool to keep the players from bargaining for higher salaries from other teams? That does seem an unfair advantage for owners if that's the reason for the cap, but I don't know enough about it to make any judgment calls. The whole system seems strange, but I suppose they do what they can to keep it competitive and interesting for the fans.

Good luck to your Saints.

KA

Thanks. The purpose of the salary cap is to enforce some kind of parity on the league to try to avoid the perpetual 'haves" vs "have nots." It's a bit of a unique situation in which it's in the interests of the league to field a number of competitive teams rather than just a few dominant, big market, big money teams. Makes good sense to me. I like parity and am not a big fan of dynasties, though the salary cap doesn't quite prevent dynasties from popping up now and then.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

Dr. Shades wrote:Can someone help me out here?

What's the point of watching someone else play sports?

Are you serious?

You gotta be a phd or working on one to make such an ignorant statement. If you don't know by now, you will never know it.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Hoops wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Can someone help me out here?

What's the point of watching someone else play sports?

Are you serious?

You gotta be a phd or working on one to make such an ignorant statement. If you don't know by now, you will never know it.

*sigh* Hey, gramps, can you get me a job out of the U.S.????
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: !!!Finally!!! College Football is here...

Post by _moksha »

Blixa wrote:Or the "Get the N*****" remarks that would be started by some clean cut Dad-type and then repeated by his brood of Aryan children.

I remember being at a college basketball game one year and challenging the Mormon football coach (Blad was his name) about shouting n***** at the black players of the opposing team as they passed by. He said it was only to rattle them. I thought it was awful.
----

I really like it when my daughter and I can watch the Running Utes together. Sometimes we sing the Utah Man am I song together.
-----

Fun daughter story: Tonight when we were out to dinner, she told me she gets her hair color and complexion from me and her anger issues from her Mother. How wise she is for just turning eight years old....
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_solomarineris
_Emeritus

You Kids probaly don't remember those god ol' days

Post by _solomarineris »

when Jim McMahon, Steve Young were kicking assss.
Those were the days........
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Blixa wrote:Ewwww. I may not be able to be your friend, afterall.

And I'm only half kidding. I've never ever come across more disgusting "fans" than BYU supporters: by far the worst in the WAC, more vulgar even then UNLV alumni. How well I remember going to Provo to watch U of U basketball games when Mike Newlin was on the team in the late 60's and hearing the crowd chant "Hairlip" at him. Or the "Get the N*****" remarks that would be started by some clean cut Dad-type and then repeated by his brood of Aryan children.

You might say things have gotten better since then. Perhaps. I still say, if there's one thing I find worse than Mormonism it's BYU athletics.

I missed this post somehow. Wow, that really sucks. I've attended BYU sports events for about 25 years and never once encountered what you did. That's pretty appalling. Heck, the worst I ever saw was a period of time when BYU fans threw tortillas onto the field, which was just lame, not vicious. But I have never heard a single racist remark. If I had, I might feel the way you do.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_personage
_Emeritus

Post by _personage »

Runtu wrote:
Blixa wrote:Ewwww. I may not be able to be your friend, afterall.

And I'm only half kidding. I've never ever come across more disgusting "fans" than BYU supporters: by far the worst in the WAC, more vulgar even then UNLV alumni. How well I remember going to Provo to watch U of U basketball games when Mike Newlin was on the team in the late 60's and hearing the crowd chant "Hairlip" at him. Or the "Get the N*****" remarks that would be started by some clean cut Dad-type and then repeated by his brood of Aryan children.

You might say things have gotten better since then. Perhaps. I still say, if there's one thing I find worse than Mormonism it's BYU athletics.

I missed this post somehow. Wow, that really sucks. I've attended BYU sports events for about 25 years and never once encountered what you did. That's pretty appalling. Heck, the worst I ever saw was a period of time when BYU fans threw tortillas onto the field, which was just lame, not vicious. But I have never heard a single racist remark. If I had, I might feel the way you do.

I have been to stadiums and arenas all over the west and in my experience BYU fans are no different than anywhere else. There are always going to be a few fans who have no class and make everyone else look bad.
By the way, it really pains me to say that because I really do not like BYU.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

WOO HOO!!!!!

It's four minutes into the second quarter and OU is stomping all over Miami!!! 21-3!!!

GO OU!

Chant with me! I say Boomer you say Sooner!

Boomer!

(Sooner!)

Boomer!

(Sooner)

KA