BYU 'hires by the spirit', how do they decide who to fire?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dakotah
_Emeritus

BYU 'hires by the spirit', how do they decide who to fire?

Post by _Dakotah »

This one is brought on as I think back to a day listening on the radio while BYU administration fired Roger Reid, a basketball coach. I was working on my own stuff and had the radio on all day and listened to a sports station interview Reid who stated he had just talked with the Athletic Director and all was well with his job. This was around 2 in the afternoon. About an hour later they talked with the Athletic Director and he assured all was well. At 5 BYU had a press conference where they fired Reid... and didn't even have Reid there. He heard it on the radio.

Having attended 'the Lard's University' I am only too familiar with all the blather about how 'the Lard' directs them in the hiring of worthy profs and whatnot. I infer from this that he also directs the hiring of worthy coaches even while he can't seem to direct them to hire really good ones so they can win more.

At any rate, the firing was as cheap and tawdry as anything I have seen. The public interviews and then the firing process broadcast were deceitful at the least.

With the claim that 'the Lard' direct their actions, can't he get it together when letting people go?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I suppose people really shouldn't invoke extraordinary claims in the name of God when performing life's mundane tasks, like hiring and firing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: BYU 'hires by the spirit', how do they decide who to fir

Post by _The Nehor »

Dakotah wrote:With the claim that 'the Lard' direct their actions, can't he get it together when letting people go?

Anyone who makes decisions on what fat tells them deserve whatever they get.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Post by _Yong Xi »

God screwed up on hiring Roger Reid, Gary Crowton and Paul H. Dunn. OTOH, it looks like He may have redeemed himself with Bronco.

by the way, is Bronco the highest paid church employee? Does he make more than GBH?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Yong Xi wrote:God screwed up on hiring Roger Reid, Gary Crowton and Paul H. Dunn. OTOH, it looks like He may have redeemed himself with Bronco.

by the way, is Bronco the highest paid church employee? Does he make more than GBH?

If you define people failing when placed in office God has failed regularly and often since the beginning: Sampson, Judas Iscariot, Cain, Eli, John C. Bennett, off the top of my head.

"It is a terrible thing to fall...but even more terrible is to admit it."
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

I've never heard any of this talk about hirings being done by revelation at BYU.

I've been involved in several, but, somehow, nobody's ever mentioned what, according to the opening post, is our standard operating procedure.

It makes for a good straw man, though.
_Dakotah
_Emeritus

Post by _Dakotah »

Well Daniel, I have. Have heard it in meetings and in talks on campus both. 'Hire by the Spirit' and keep BYU to the 'highest standards' possible.

As for God making mistakes, take Judas out of the mix. He filled his place and did it well. Without his part there may not have been a crucifixion and without that we would be in deep doo-doo.

Then we can get into Joseph Smith and how one becomes a good judge of character. He surrounded himself with so many who were problems that one has to wonder if he had any inspiration at all in choosing friends and fellow leaders.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Dakotah wrote:Well Daniel, I have. Have heard it in meetings and in talks on campus both. 'Hire by the Spirit' and keep BYU to the 'highest standards' possible.

As for God making mistakes, take Judas out of the mix. He filled his place and did it well. Without his part there may not have been a crucifixion and without that we would be in deep doo-doo.

Then we can get into Joseph Smith and how one becomes a good judge of character. He surrounded himself with so many who were problems that one has to wonder if he had any inspiration at all in choosing friends and fellow leaders.

Jesus could have been arrested without Judas. All Judas did was make it easier for them to find him at night where they could nab him away from the crowds. God told Joseph Smith in the D&C that he would not always be able to discern the righteous from the wicked. I know I can't.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

All I can say is that in my now twenty-two years at BYU, involving several hires in my own department and two or three beyond, I've never heard anything like this.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of and closer acquaintance with the workings of the University.

I've found that the greatest authorities on every subject are invariably anonymous message board posters.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Daniel Peterson wrote:All I can say is that in my now twenty-two years at BYU, involving several hires in my own department and two or three beyond, I've never heard anything like this.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of and closer acquaintance with the workings of the University.

I've found that the greatest authorities on every subject are invariably anonymous message board posters.

And, frankly, if they aren't using "inspired revelation" to hire folks in the Religion Department, then what are they using "inspired revelation" for?

;)

Of course, maybe, Dakotah is like many men, and feel that a university should rise and fall on the hiring and firing of sports personnel.

LOL