BYU 'hires by the spirit', how do they decide who to fire?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yong Xi
_Emeritus

Post by _Yong Xi »

The Nehor wrote:
Yong Xi wrote:God screwed up on hiring Roger Reid, Gary Crowton and Paul H. Dunn. OTOH, it looks like He may have redeemed himself with Bronco.

by the way, is Bronco the highest paid church employee? Does he make more than GBH?

If you define people failing when placed in office God has failed regularly and often since the beginning: Sampson, Judas Iscariot, Cain, Eli, John C. Bennett, off the top of my head.

"It is a terrible thing to fall...but even more terrible is to admit it."

My comments were all tongue in check. If there is a God, I don't believe he had anything to do with the hiring of church employees or appointing of church leaders.
_Dakotah
_Emeritus

Post by _Dakotah »

"All I can say is that in my now twenty-two years at BYU, involving several hires in my own department and two or three beyond, I've never heard anything like this.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of and closer acquaintance with the workings of the University.

I've found that the greatest authorities on every subject are invariably anonymous message board posters."

Daniel, just because you don't pay attention doesn't mean the rest of us are the same.

In the Bioligical sciences dept where I was this was talked about often. In the religion classes I attended as a student it was talked about by a number of the professors. It was preached from the pulpit in many of the Student wards I attended. Dallin Oaks talked about 'hiring by the spirit' to a group I attended.

It happens.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:like hiring and firing.

Or asking a teen girl if she masturbates. Cause that's just another mundane, normal activity right?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I've never heard any of this talk about hirings being done by revelation at BYU.

I've been involved in several, but, somehow, nobody's ever mentioned what, according to the opening post, is our standard operating procedure.

It makes for a good straw man, though.

Once again a Mormon cries ignorance of dumbass stunts routine in the Mormon culture.
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost in time
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Dakotah wrote:"All I can say is that in my now twenty-two years at BYU, involving several hires in my own department and two or three beyond, I've never heard anything like this.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of and closer acquaintance with the workings of the University.

I've found that the greatest authorities on every subject are invariably anonymous message board posters."

Daniel, just because you don't pay attention doesn't mean the rest of us are the same.

In the Bioligical sciences dept where I was this was talked about often. In the religion classes I attended as a student it was talked about by a number of the professors. It was preached from the pulpit in many of the Student wards I attended. Dallin Oaks talked about 'hiring by the spirit' to a group I attended.

It happens.

I think that this is yet another one of those instances where a potentially embarrassing aspect of Church culture can be waved away ala DCP's "I've worked such-and-such number of years, and blah blah blah." in my opinion, his experience is irrelevant, or in any case it is trumped by the requirement that employees have a TR.
_Daniel Peterson
_Emeritus

Post by _Daniel Peterson »

The fact remains that I've never heard the phrase, and that hiring in my department and in my experience, while it is, no doubt, done prayerfully, is still done in much the same way that it's done at other universities -- allowing, of course, for the matter of compatibility with basic Church beliefs (not altogether unlike the situation at other denominational institutions) and for a stronger emphasis on moral standards than would be likely at, say UC Santa Barbara. We look at professional qualifications and teaching ability. We probably also put a bit more emphasis on collegiality than occurs at some other schools. But the process is essentially the same.

I've never heard anybody claim to have hired anybody else by revelation at BYU. I once expressly raised the issue with President Bateman of whether disagreeing with him was disagreeing with a General Authority or with a university president. Without hesitation, he said that he was acting as a university president, so I voted No on a proposal he'd made. And I've heard the current president, President Samuelson (also a General Authority), chide a vice president for taking a position in a small meeting based on his "feelings" instead of presenting data organized as an argument. "This is a university," he said. "This isn't the Church."

I'm sorry that my experience fails to tally with thread dogma. I suppose I could lie and pretend that it did, but I'm afraid that I would lose Scratch's respect.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mercury wrote:

Or asking a teen girl if she masturbates. Cause that's just another mundane, normal activity right?

Happens everyday, everywhere and should be a private affair. by the way, what sparked this question? Are you currently taking matters into your own hand?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I've never heard anybody claim to have hired anybody else by revelation at BYU. I once expressly raised the issue with President Bateman of whether disagreeing with him was disagreeing with a General Authority or with a university president. Without hesitation, he said that he was acting as a university president, so I voted No on a proposal he'd made. And I've heard the current president, President Samuelson (also a General Authority), chide a vice president for taking a position in a small meeting based on his "feelings" instead of presenting data organized as an argument. "This is a university," he said. "This isn't the Church."

I'm sorry that my experience fails to tally with thread dogma. I suppose I could lie and pretend that it did, but I'm afraid that I would lose Scratch's respect.

And if he'd said yes, you'd have voted differently? Somehow this casts BYU-business-as-usual in a different light than other colleges, no matter what their denominational affiliations.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Happens everyday, everywhere and should be a private affair. by the way, what sparked this question? Are you currently taking matters into your own hand?

No, it does not happen everyday. And if you think this is a normal activity then you should be ashamed of yourself. It should be a matter between the participant and the participant only. Leave it to Mormons to justify jackbooted interrogation tactics in order to establish false authority.
Lost in time
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:

No, it does not happen everyday. And if you think this is a normal activity then you should be ashamed of yourself. It should be a matter between the participant and the participant only. Leave it to Mormons to justify jackbooted interrogation tactics in order to establish false authority.

I think Mok meant that masturbation happens everyday and should be a private affair---thus agreeing with you. Evidence that he was replying in a pleasant and jocular manner is the "taking matters into your own hand" pun...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."