BYU 'hires by the spirit', how do they decide who to fire?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

I remember when I gave my two-weeks notice at the Church Office Building, several people expressed absolute shock and horror. Church employment, they told me, was like a calling, and to quit was to reject what the Lord had prepared me for. I told them that it was just a job and that the church would get along fine without me.

It wouldn't surprise me if some BYU folks "hired by the spirit," but most of the BYU employees and faculty members would never even think of doing something like that. My brother-in-law, who is an associate dean, has never mentioned prayerfully considering his decisions. Instead, he has expressed frustration over the amazing amount of politics he deals with every day. But no prayer and fasting are involved.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Blixa wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:like hiring and firing.

Or asking a teen girl if she masturbates. Cause that's just another mundane, normal activity right?

Happens everyday, everywhere and should be a private affair. by the way, what sparked this question? Are you currently taking matters into your own hand?

No, it does not happen everyday. And if you think this is a normal activity then you should be ashamed of yourself. It should be a matter between the participant and the participant only. Leave it to Mormons to justify jackbooted interrogation tactics in order to establish false authority.

I think Mok meant that masturbation happens everyday and should be a private affair---thus agreeing with you. Evidence that he was replying in a pleasant and jocular manner is the "taking matters into your own hand" pun...

Ahh, I see. Apologies to the Penguin.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mercury wrote:
Blixa wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:
Mercury wrote:
moksha wrote:like hiring and firing.

Or asking a teen girl if she masturbates. Cause that's just another mundane, normal activity right?

Happens everyday, everywhere and should be a private affair. by the way, what sparked this question? Are you currently taking matters into your own hand?

No, it does not happen everyday. And if you think this is a normal activity then you should be ashamed of yourself. It should be a matter between the participant and the participant only. Leave it to Mormons to justify jackbooted interrogation tactics in order to establish false authority.

I think Mok meant that masturbation happens everyday and should be a private affair---thus agreeing with you. Evidence that he was replying in a pleasant and jocular manner is the "taking matters into your own hand" pun...

Ahh, I see. Apologies to the Penguin.

Just lookin' out for my black n' white bro...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Daniel Peterson wrote:I've never heard any of this talk about hirings being done by revelation at BYU.

I've been involved in several, but, somehow, nobody's ever mentioned what, according to the opening post, is our standard operating procedure.

It makes for a good straw man, though.

I have to agree with Dan here. I've never, ever heard anyone refer to a divine source regarding hiring, promotion, or firing decisions. The sole possible exception I'm aware of was my situation, in which religious considerations played a role (as I've described), although I'm also fairly certain that religious considerations factor in other cases than my own, but that's different from claiming that a decision was dictated somehow by God.

Of course, BYU has its own Bernardo Gui whose role, it appears, is to ensure that BYU is hiring reasonably orthodox professors. This is the guy (at the time it was a former Law School Prof named something Gordon, who told our dept we couldn't hire a female candidate whose husband was a househusband because "it violated the Lord's Proclamation on the Family." No lie. We got this silly decision overturned, but I suspect Alan Wilkins signed off on the original decision, and I suspect that Henry Eyring was also behind it, but I am only guessing. When I was hired, the GA interview of prospective faculty was pro-forma, now it has teeth. BYU does much more in-depth due dilligence viz orthodoxy,testimony, etc. before hiring. It doesn't want to hire any more David Knowltons', Gail Houstons', or Ceclia Conchar Farrs'.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

guy sajer wrote:
Daniel Peterson wrote:I've never heard any of this talk about hirings being done by revelation at BYU.

I've been involved in several, but, somehow, nobody's ever mentioned what, according to the opening post, is our standard operating procedure.

It makes for a good straw man, though.

I have to agree with Dan here.

I have to agree too. Nothing anybody does in the church or elsewhere is by divine inspiration, whether they claim it or not.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Daniel Peterson wrote:All I can say is that in my now twenty-two years at BYU, involving several hires in my own department and two or three beyond, I've never heard anything like this.
God, has it been that long?

What a waste.