Is the LDS Church a prodigal son.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Is the LDS Church a prodigal son.

Post by _karl61 »

I've been reading books about church history in the 1800's: The Mormon Question by Sarah Barringer Gordon and The 1838 Mormon War in Missouri by Stephen C. LeSueur. I don't think chapel Mormons are interested in that history. It's not a faith promoting read. The one thing that I keep thinking about is that the Church is just like a rebellious son . In Missouri members of the Church attacked at Crooked River and people died, members of the Church attacked plundered and burned the homes of people in Daviess County. Worthless stocks was sold at the Kirtland Bank (anti-bank) The church members attacked a wagon train in southern utah and a massacre occured. I'm reading about Polygamy now. The people via the United States Congress had to act to prevent polygamy from continuing and the TBM's of that area (husbands, wives, children, neighbors likely all TBM's lied, lied and lied and then lied somemore in a United States Court of Law somemore to keep thevprincible going. Church leaders were on the run, escaping jail, sneaking out of the area at night, it was almost like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid . One of the things of repentence is to confess and forsake sins. Certainly members now don't openly do the acts listed above and one can surely say they have forsaken crime, but confession is also a part of change. I know the likelyhood of admitting doing wrong is slim to none in the current church heirarchy but maybe in twenty or thirty years so apologies may be given. I would appreciate your thoughts.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

bump as it's embarrassing to have a 0 for replys.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: Is the LDS Church a prodigal son.

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

thestyleguy wrote:I've been reading books about church history in the 1800's: The Mormon Question by Sarah Barringer Gordon and The 1838 Mormon War in Missouri by Stephen C. LeSueur. I don't think chapel Mormons are interested in that history. It's not a faith promoting read. The one thing that I keep thinking about is that the Church is just like a rebellious son . In Missouri members of the Church attacked at Crooked River and people died, members of the Church attacked plundered and burned the homes of people in Daviess County. Worthless stocks was sold at the Kirtland Bank (anti-bank) The church members attacked a wagon train in southern utah and a massacre occured. I'm reading about Polygamy now. The people via the United States Congress had to act to prevent polygamy from continuing and the TBM's of that area (husbands, wives, children, neighbors likely all TBM's lied, lied and lied and then lied somemore in a United States Court of Law somemore to keep thevprincible going. Church leaders were on the run, escaping jail, sneaking out of the area at night, it was almost like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid . One of the things of repentence is to confess and forsake sins. Certainly members now don't openly do the acts listed above and one can surely say they have forsaken crime, but confession is also a part of change. I know the likelyhood of admitting doing wrong is slim to none in the current church heirarchy but maybe in twenty or thirty years so apologies may be given. I would appreciate your thoughts.

All my tired brain can think after reading your post is ... and I really hate to use the "c" word, but the church back then was a cult, and I mean that in the way the word is generally used, as in Waco, Jonesville, etc. Those early Mormons were lost souls, like modern-day Moonies, looking for something to fill a void in their lives, swayed by the religious fervor of their times, they could have picked from a hundred cults and they happened to fall into Mormonism. It is cult mentality to believe that any behavior is justified if done in the name of God, or that God commanded and justified them in their actions.

The church has since grown into quite a respectable organization, but I wouldn't expect an apology ever for anything because it still depends on the persecution it suffered to hold itself together.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Lucretia...

Nice post!

In addition, I do not think the church will ever apologize for anything.

It seems the way the church handles odd/difficult/incorrect/hurtful beliefs or behaviors is to just put it behind them.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj