Parliament of World Religions

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

The Nehor wrote:A God who would never condemn is not a personal God. Furthermore if he didn't condemn some of the things I have done then he damn well should have and I wouldn't respect anyone (man or God) that didn't.

I don't think we are all One. I don't think that's ego. Are Porter and I one? Merc and I? I suppose you could argue that both of us desire to be right and that we need to be right badly but I don't think that is all of it. We live different lives in different worlds and the meeting-places between it are few and far between. If God doesn't distinguish between truth and untruth because he is only truth then can he distinguish that the truth is that we are all One? Worshiping such a God seems like a joke to me. A God that gives no commands, has no real laws, and is content to stand back and let the world turn seems like a God without will or personality. It seems like the dream God of casual mysticism where you can commune with something beyond the world to have some fun and feel spiritual but God will demand nothing of you.

God only gratifies the ego of those who think that they have pleased him. The Bible (and the Book of Mormon) goes to great lengths to show that God is not impressed by ANY of us. There is comfort to be found in Christianity but it is found after learning the terrible truth that there is a God and that we are actively enemies against Him and his Law. I know less of Islam but I do know that God in that religion is seen as the one that forbears, who is patient, and who often holds off deserved judgments. Anyone who is arrogant about their relationship to God has failed. They haven't met the God of the Bible or they have forgotten him. They do it in accordance with human nature but against all doctrine.

I know of only a few religions that restrict their exclusive truths to a certain group. They want all to come and have them. I also don't think humanity's greater good is served by watering all religion down.

You're not understanding me, naturally enough since you have no frame of reference but Mormonism. Ego can mean more than pride/arrogance, for one thing. You have to remember that I understand your point of view because I was a Mormon for many years. You don't understand mine, and since you have shown no interest in understanding mine, only interest in countering with irrelevant Mormon concepts, let's just agree to disagree.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Some really good threads going on the board at the mo... Hope i don't tangle them??? "Nehor" said, into which i'm in bold:

A God who would never condemn is not a personal God. Furthermore if he didn't condemn some of the things I have done then he damn well should have and I wouldn't respect anyone (man or God) that didn't. RM: I'm sure you know not everyone here agrees with the "personal God" concept. OTOH, some of us who do not, might have at one time believed as You. A bit like in Ecc: "...a time for all things..." Personally, now seeing "God" as impersonal expands my understanding of life from mythical-chaos to natural-order. You seem to express/infer a desired S&M relationship with your "Personal God", if i ead you right?? Why do you feel the need to be punished; assuming you are no longer deep-in-bad?

I don't think we are all One. I don't think that's ego. Are Porter and I one? Merc and I? I suppose you could argue that both of us desire to be right and that we need to be right badly but I don't think that is all of it. We live different lives in different worlds and the meeting-places between it are few and far between. RM: I suggest you have more in common (all one) with Porter & Merc (& others) than YOU realize. "God" made you that way. Where you differ is with individual (petty?) philosophicals--the way "man" made you... Relative side-bar: I picked up a young hitch-hiker, early this AM who had been walking for 3+ hours. He immediately slouched into sleep. I wonder about him. He's unclean, unkept, odourous, & he trusts me. Strange, but i see we have everything in common but age, material goods & social-status. We might even share blood types? I drove a bit out of my way to take him home in a small village. Before i could ask him his name, he asked me mine, said he was "Al," stuck out his hand and thanked me warmly. I don't think "God" differentiates. We might. Rain & sun are granted to ALL-as-one... If God doesn't distinguish between truth and untruth because he is only truth then can he distinguish that the truth is that we are all One? Worshiping such a God seems like a joke to me. A God that gives no commands, has no real laws, and is content to stand back and let the world turn seems like a God without will or personality. It seems like the dream God of casual mysticism where you can commune with something beyond the world to have some fun and feel spiritual but God will demand nothing of you. RM: Many have believed as you do for centuries. However, "God" doesn't have to "distinguish"..."He" knows... We have to "distinguish" between truth & untruth. Some do so better than others... "...a "God" with... will & personality..." is the Mormon "God" and was found by some here to be beyond acceptance as an impartial, unprejudiced "God" of justice who has, and never had, favourites... Whether Jews or LDS...

God only gratifies the ego of those who think that they have pleased him. The Bible (and the Book of Mormon) goes to great lengths to show that God is not impressed by ANY of us. There is comfort to be found in Christianity but it is found after learning the terrible truth that there is a God and that we are actively enemies against Him and his Law. RM: Really, "God's" enemies? Quite a statement!! Does "God" have any friends/allies? Right. Scientists! They follow "His" laws 'faithfully' :-) I know less of Islam but I do know that God in that religion is seen as the one that forbears, who is patient, and who often holds off deserved judgments. Anyone who is arrogant about their relationship to God has failed. They haven't met the God of the Bible RM: Which one? The Old Testament jealous, vengeful, conspirator? Or, the New Testament unconditionally loving "God"... or they have forgotten him. They do it in accordance with human nature but against all doctrine.

I know of only a few religions that restrict their exclusive truths to a certain group. RM: Mormons being one of them, right? They want all to come and have them. I also don't think humanity's greater good is served by watering all religion down. RM: Can't get any "wateryer". Needs to be condensed to those "Two New Commandments"...

I think that's what might be in the minds of the "Parliament". Forget our differences. Concentrate on the basic "Social Gospel" principles. According to THE story, attending-to-the-needs-of-others is the only thing that will get you throught the 'gate'... Recall, "...when you did it unto the least...you did it unto me..." Warm regards, Roger

Edited to correct my error of stating "Nephi" authored the opening 'quote'... A BIG bad :-(
Last edited by DrW on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
You're not understanding me, naturally enough since you have no frame of reference but Mormonism. Ego can mean more than pride/arrogance, for one thing. You have to remember that I understand your point of view because I was a Mormon for many years. You don't understand mine, and since you have shown no interest in understanding mine, only interest in countering with irrelevant Mormon concepts, let's just agree to disagree.

Should I bow in awe then? I don't think you understand my point of view. Most Mormons don't now. I know ego can mean more than just pride and arrogance but ego in all forms shrinks before God.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

The Nehor wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:

Should I bow in awe then? I don't think you understand my point of view. Most Mormons don't now. I know ego can mean more than just pride and arrogance but ego in all forms shrinks before God.

You may not be exactly the typical Mormon, but your theology isn't anything I'm not used to. I'm not trying to convert you to my way of thinking. If you have any intellectual interest in my thought/belief system feel free to ask, but I'm not really into discussing or arguing every defense you throw up, it just over-complicates. I might suggest you read Roger's response to your post above very carefully.