Are missionaries Arrogrant?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

A couple of thoughts to the OP.

1. The LDS church is sending 19 year old boys into the mission field. 19 year old boys, by definition, are arrogant.

2. These already arrogant boys believe they have the full support of God with them. So, take the already arrogant boys and multiply the arrogance by powers of 10.

3. Unfortunately, there are too many stories of converts that had turned away the missionaries time and time again, but at a particular time in their lives when they needed "something", viola, the missionaries come a knockin'. Now, these Faith-Promoting Rumor may or may not be true, but there are a LOT of them out there. And we all know that an Faith-Promoting Rumor doesn't require the tiniest shred of proof to be believed. So, the goal is to keep at them until they are at a place in their lives when they are ready for the gospel. Everyone will get there eventually.

4. The missionaries believe they are sharing truths, not attacking the other person's religion. Unlike the street preachers who are armed for a fight, LDS missionaries simply teach that their way is better. Which, yes, in an indirect way is an arrogant teaching, but I think it's the least arrogant of any other religions missionary efforts.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Mercury wrote:
The Nehor wrote:Of course the Missionaries can be annoying. The World finds the Gospel and our Church annoying, why should they think any different of our representatives? It may annoy people but we have a long and glorious tradition of doing it. Jesus and most of the original Apostles and many of their followers were killed because they were annoying. Joseph Smith was killed because he was annoying. I had rocks thrown at me on my Mission because I was annoying. It's when the world starts to like us that I'll get worried.

And the persecution complex is once again reinforced

I don't think I have a complex. We are told we are going to be persecuted. We deal with it. What decides whether it's a complex or not? Did every Jew in Hitler's Germany or every Christian in first and second Century Rome have a persecution complex just because they suffered some persecution?

No. They were actually persecuted against. The Jews didn't cause the animosity in the communities they lived in. The mrmons did through antagonistic behavior.

As for the christians, screw em. Friggin cult.

Well, if my Early Christian Brethren fall in that category I will gladly stand with them in their 'friggin cult'.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Nehor wrote:Joseph Smith was killed because he was annoying.

Um... no. Joseph Smith was not killed because he was annoying. We all know why Joseph was killed, so please try for a more accurate listing.

Thanks.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

harmony wrote:

Um... no. Joseph Smith was not killed because he was annoying. We all know why Joseph was killed, so please try for a more accurate listing.

Thanks.

He was a public annoyance due to an incident with a press?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Nehor wrote:
harmony wrote:

Thanks.

He was a public annoyance due to an incident with a press?

He was killed for a number of reasons, not just because of the press. Add in polygamy. Add in the banking scandel. Add in the exclusiveness in business and in voting that he demanded from his followers. Add in his personal megalomania. It's not all one incident; it's a combination of the whole mess.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

I learned to be a little arrogant as a missionary. That was a coping mechanism. After so many "sacks" at the door, you've got to find someway to brainwash yourself every morning and hit the streets again.

I don't think I have a complex. We are told we are going to be persecuted. We deal with it. What decides whether it's a complex or not? Did every Jew in Hitler's Germany or every Christian in first and second Century

A good heuristic for deciding if one has a persecution complex is observing whether or not one is actually being persecuted. Since you are not being persecuted, you're in the running. A follow-up would be comparing one's own state of non-persecution angst with the holocust. You've passed that one too.

If you want more persecution than most missionaries get then start selling Kirby vacuums door to door.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

The Nehor wrote: Is it not then also arrogant for all the critics on this board to routinely tell me that I am wrong and that my Church is a money-grubbing institution that is exploiting me and that my spiritual experiences are at best entirely misunderstood by me and at worst I am a fraud?

No, because critic actually have real world verifiable evidence that demonstrates they're right. We talk from the point of view of someone dialed into reality where you're coming from a place that's dialed into fantasy.

We're giving solid advice. You're giving fanciful fiction as though it's solid advice. Your position necessitates arrogance, in my opinion.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.