Is Mormonism mediocre religion?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Is Mormonism mediocre religion?

Post by _Mercury »

They get the suits to spout platitudes twice a year and the members to do everything else, including staffing the farms when they can't get illegal aliens. Most of the copy in lesson manuals is decades old rehashes of turned over and recycled pap.

Nothing truly new has come out of Mormonism since reading the twisted racist sexist treatise by Mcranky the ass became the new punishment for whacking off.

Day in and day out the same repetitious bull is played out. Week after week they shuffle into the meetinghouse to sing the same 20 songs, repeat the same faith promoting rumors and die a little inside just a little more.

Mormonism is banality codified into a religion.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Hi Merc, Mediocre?? Not at all! I suggest it is just the opposite... Mormonism IS an excellent "Religion"...

It casts a wide effective net. Much as the RCs did long before Joseph Smith. It indoctrinates, much as Catholicism did centuries ago. LDS has its Prophet; RCs have their Pope, both infallible. It is top-down, authoritarian, patriarchal as is the RC church. Actually, there is a 'democractic' element in RCism lacking in LDSism.

It subjugates women, as does Catholicism, to positions of servitude, with little authority. Actually, again, even more so than the RCs do. They (RC) have "Orders" that are relatively autonimous, as i understand. (Mother Theressa comes to mind.) LDS have none-such, or no-such.

In reflection, i credit LDSism is living up to its proclimation of being, THE Perfect Church. As defined by Marx...

While you describe it with some accuracy, i respectfully suggest there is little mediocre about Mormonism... However, IF you want to talk progressive, enlightened, advancing human understanding--as Jesus taught in the New Testament Mount Sermon, promoting peace, teaching equitable resource/wealth allocation, none predudicism, elitism, "God" favoritism we could find LDSism being even less than mediocre. IMSCO. Warm regards, Roger
_evolving
_Emeritus

Post by _evolving »

Hey Merc - I think you have to separate the Corporation from the Spiritual to make the mediocre argument work -- the Corporation works very well, the old puffy white guys have made some great financial moves in the past, the real-estate savvy they have is really impressive -- they run a multi-billion dollar business better than most. now the Spiritual/Religion side is a pathetic mess for the members!!! millions of dedicated people serving lifetime sentences for ambiguous unknowns, most members are so indoctrinated they do not want to know any truth that alters the sad pathetic reality that they hold onto like a gold crap. now the leaders these ass-hats are treated like frigging rock stars - autographs, limos, and body guards, not a bad gig for them.

then you have the sad world internet members/apologists. They have read and processed enough data to give them a clear picture of just how screwed up and empty Mormonism really is, yet they don't have the balls to take their brains out of the pen for a walk.. I have followed many of the posters on MAD for years ,, it has been entertaining to watch many take the process from naïve believing faithful member, to some combination of arrogant mysticisim and gnostic essenne... - whatever floats their boat ..

When I see a duck walking down the street, I hear a quack - I think hey, there is a duck... the mo-pologist would have to go back to ancient mystical texts to research what combination of platypus, phoenix that makes a QCK noise ... what a colossal joke..
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Revelations all the time, spiritual fulfillment, communion with God....yeah.....I'm spiritually screwed.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_evolving
_Emeritus

Post by _evolving »

The Nehor wrote:........I'm spiritually screwed.

a few Q's nehor--
do you have and use a seer stone to receive your revelations??
do you use your tarot cards to meditate upon and receive your spiritual fulfillment ??
is your communion with god some sort of celestial sex I am unaware of - being that your spiritually screwed and all..(i'm sure this is very different from the Mormon brain f**k I have been through for 30+ years)

the doctrine & theology of an 1800"s Mormon is so vastly different from the sanitized/correlated version practiced today - which version of Mormonism brings you to this spiritual one-ness with god ??

~evolving
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Roger Morrison wrote:Hi Merc, Mediocre?? Not at all! I suggest it is just the opposite... Mormonism IS an excellent "Religion"...

It casts a wide effective net. Much as the RCs did long before Joseph Smith. It indoctrinates, much as Catholicism did centuries ago. LDS has its Prophet; RCs have their Pope, both infallible. It is top-down, authoritarian, patriarchal as is the RC church. Actually, there is a 'democractic' element in RCism lacking in LDSism.

It subjugates women, as does Catholicism, to positions of servitude, with little authority. Actually, again, even more so than the RCs do. They (RC) have "Orders" that are relatively autonimous, as I understand. (Mother Theressa comes to mind.) LDS have none-such, or no-such.

In reflection, I credit LDSism is living up to its proclimation of being, THE Perfect Church. As defined by Marx...

While you describe it with some accuracy, I respectfully suggest there is little mediocre about Mormonism... However, IF you want to talk progressive, enlightened, advancing human understanding--as Jesus taught in the New Testament Mount Sermon, promoting peace, teaching equitable resource/wealth allocation, none predudicism, elitism, "God" favoritism we could find LDSism being even less than mediocre. IMSCO. Warm regards, Roger

Mormonism is the McDonalds of religion. Ubiquity is not an indicator of complexity. Mormonism is a shell and when you crack the shell you find an empty void that the member fills with wishful thinking and utter contempt for the emptynes shtat is inside the "religion".

Its manufactured and retreaded. Mormonism is not progressive. I anything it is regressive. But since you want to see what you want to see I guess there is no convincing you otherwise.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

evolving wrote:
The Nehor wrote:........I'm spiritually screwed.

a few Q's nehor--
do you have and use a seer stone to receive your revelations??
do you use your tarot cards to meditate upon and receive your spiritual fulfillment ??
is your communion with god some sort of celestial sex I am unaware of - being that your spiritually screwed and all..(I'm sure this is very different from the Mormon brain f**k I have been through for 30+ years)

the doctrine & theology of an 1800"s Mormon is so vastly different from the sanitized/correlated version practiced today - which version of Mormonism brings you to this spiritual one-ness with god ??

~evolving

1. No, I've never used a seer stone but I have no objection to trying. I don't believe in magic in the sense of objects of power that operate supernaturally independent of God (or Satan) interfering. Aides to revelation I have no problem with.

2. No, I have a deck of tarot cards but I don't use them in any revelatory way.

3. Spiritually screwed was not my phrase, I just borrowed it.

4. The Gospel brings me to some one-ness with God. I don't agree with those who see massive doctrinal shifts. I've read the journals of many of my ancestors who lived under the 'horribly primitive' versions of Mormonism. They believed and focussed on the same things I do.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Scottie
_Emeritus

Post by _Scottie »

Mormonism has some very unique doctrines that allow members to bring purpose to their lives. I honestly think that many members of the church would be empty shells without the church.

I know that a lot of you here believe that absolutely nothing good can come from the Mormon church. I strongly disagree with that. Some people are just pre-programmed to need religion in their lives. Mormonism isn't a bad way to go for these people. I believe that these kinds of people are truly more happy with Mormonism in their lives than without it. They need the structure.

As for new, exciting doctrine...are there churches out there that ARE inventing new and exciting doctrine? Hell, Catholicism hasn't had anything new for a couple thousand years, yet people still go to mass.
_Maxrep
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxrep »

Scottie wrote:I know that a lot of you here believe that absolutely nothing good can come from the Mormon church. I strongly disagree with that. Some people are just pre-programmed to need religion in their lives. Mormonism isn't a bad way to go for these people. I believe that these kinds of people are truly more happy with Mormonism in their lives than without it. They need the structure.

Completely agree. I will give props to the institution for the positive influence it provides for those who enjoy the format. This fact is overshadowed by the lack of choice in the matter that most members experience in real life.

At the ripe age of 8, how many children whose parents are TBM, decline baptism? The answer is none, as there is no choice in the matter for all practical purposes. I'll be blunt is well, there is a level of brainwashing that takes place with Mormon youth.

Why is it that any apologist could take their social, educational, and economic peers, allow them to study the whole of Mormonism, and then not have any success with their conversion? The answer is simply that without indoctrination, and with a REAL choice, our peers want nothing to do with the church. They have no family ties, social ties, or heritage to influence their participation in Mormonism.

I believe any critic can recognize good where it exists freely, but not under force or coercion.
_Roger Morrison
_Emeritus

Post by _Roger Morrison »

Scottie wrote:Mormonism has some very unique doctrines that allow members to bring purpose to their lives. I honestly think that many members of the church would be empty shells without the church.

I know that a lot of you here believe that absolutely nothing good can come from the Mormon church. I strongly disagree with that. Some people are just pre-programmed to need religion in their lives. Mormonism isn't a bad way to go for these people. I believe that these kinds of people are truly more happy with Mormonism in their lives than without it. They need the structure.

As for new, exciting doctrine...are there churches out there that ARE inventing new and exciting doctrine? Hell, Catholicism hasn't had anything new for a couple thousand years, yet people still go to mass.

Scotty, i tend to agree with You. It certainly provided a lot of fun & good experience for me and ours. Someone mentioned Ego strokes... sure come free and easy in LDSism, often unwarranted, but... Then there came a time to "graduate". That, has provided more experience, insight and understanding of our change of needs.

Unfortunately, in my observation, there are those who should "graduate", but cannot seem to take the step. Often born-ins. A very close friend, in that category, domineering father was a Bishop, was a basket-case because of such deep indoctrination. It was very sad to see his suffering & listen to his harangues re Ward/Stake stupidity/cliques, incompetance--he was a professional & a perfectionist. He lived, and died, a very unhappy "faithful" PH bearer.

Merc, you said:

Mormonism is the McDonalds of religion. Ubiquity is not an indicator of complexity. Mormonism is a shell and when you crack the shell you find an empty void that the member fills with wishful thinking and utter contempt for the emptynes shtat is inside the "religion". RM: True. But, some don't "crack the shell"...Ignorance is bliss??

Its manufactured and retreaded. Mormonism is not progressive. I anything it is regressive. RM: Agree absolutely!! But since you want to see what you want to see I guess there is no convincing you otherwise. RM: I certainly didn't intend to leave THAT impression...LOL!! My suggestion was that LDSism is sort-of the perfect-storm. It has ALL (most?) the elements that satisfy religious needs. I thought when i said, "...as Marx defined..." that would have been clear. Sorry for the confussion. Please reread it and see if you can get what i meant--not always easy, for sure...

Warm regards, Roger