But I received a witness from the Holy Ghost.....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:But I am the exception :)

Uhhhuh, suuuuure
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
The Nehor wrote:
Scottie wrote:The other thing apologists love to say is that the feelings of the Holy Ghost are worlds greater than the standard "good feelings" they get when they see a moving movie, or hear a touching song.

Also, how many converts have come over from other religions claiming that the spirit they feel here is SOOO much more powerful than what they felt in the old religion. Unfortunately, I think that most people that leave Mormonism leave religion altogether, so we don't hear much of that from LDS apostates.

Maybe they say that because it's true?

Maybe they think it's true because it has gratified their egos?

My ego is rarely gratified that I'm a sinner who is separated himself from God and the only way back is to plead mercy from his Son. If you're honestly convinced that God is quite pleased and content with you simply because you pay tithing and attend a few meetings......you really don't get it.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:

Uhhhuh, suuuuure

Glad we came to an agreement.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

The Nehor wrote:My ego is rarely gratified that I'm a sinner who is separated himself from God and the only way back is to plead mercy from his Son. If you're honestly convinced that God is quite pleased and content with you simply because you pay tithing and attend a few meetings......you really don't get it.

The belief that you are a sinner who is separated from God comes from the ego on a very basic level, actually. By "ego," I don't mean "pride." I mean that part of human nature that is dedicated to keep us believing that we are sinners separated from God.
_Livingstone22
_Emeritus

Post by _Livingstone22 »

I have a LDS friend who is totally confident that he has been given the confirmation by the Holy Spirit of God that persuing a homosexual relationship is the right thing to do, and that's what he told his stake president. I'm not sure where this will go.....
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
The Nehor wrote:My ego is rarely gratified that I'm a sinner who is separated himself from God and the only way back is to plead mercy from his Son. If you're honestly convinced that God is quite pleased and content with you simply because you pay tithing and attend a few meetings......you really don't get it.

The belief that you are a sinner who is separated from God comes from the ego on a very basic level, actually. By "ego," I don't mean "pride." I mean that part of human nature that is dedicated to keep us believing that we are sinners separated from God.

So believing anything is inherently ego? Seems a radical definition. Then call me an egotist.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Oh I see, holy_ghost@Celestial Kingdom.kolob.gov sent you an email?
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

My father-in-law said he received THE witness that TSCC was true when he was a youth attending a radio broadcast back in the 50's.

He told me that this is THE witness upon which his faith falls back on.

So he and a bunch of other local teen boys with their leaders were gathered in a building equipped with speakers that would broadcast some special radio address which originated from the tabernacle mothership in SLC.

He said just as the broadcast began, the speakers popped, cracked, and then went silent.

Guess what the guy in charge did?

"While we have the technician look into the "problem", would some young man please offer a prayer to help with this?

Yes, you all are just like me, you already know where this story is headed...

A young Indian(Native American) boy came forward and offered the prayer that included something about helping the sound to work again so that they could hear the words from the leaders, blah blah yadda yadda..

AS SOON as the boy closed the prayer, mere micro seconds after the follow up AMEN from the congregation, the speakers crackled, popped, and magically came back to life and whaa-friggin-la they were all in absolute AWE!

"I felt the spirit that day, and I knew right then and there that I was in the only true church of god!!!", my FIL exclaimed, "That experience has been the ROCK which I have built my faith!"

Of course I asked, "Did they have an extended testimony meeting afterwards about this?"

"Yes they did! Of course!", he answered

"And how do you not know that the whole "technical" problem was just a setup?

*long pause*

*sound of testimonkey hitting the floor pink monkey butt first*

"Per, per, perhaaaps it was... I don't know.. All I know is it help me gain a testimoney and I don't care it was a setup...", he finished.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Polygamy Porter wrote:My father-in-law said he received THE witness that TSCC was true when he was a youth attending a radio broadcast back in the 50's.

He told me that this is THE witness upon which his faith falls back on.

So he and a bunch of other local teen boys with their leaders were gathered in a building equipped with speakers that would broadcast some special radio address which originated from the tabernacle mothership in SLC.

He said just as the broadcast began, the speakers popped, cracked, and then went silent.

Guess what the guy in charge did?

"While we have the technician look into the "problem", would some young man please offer a prayer to help with this?

Yes, you all are just like me, you already know where this story is headed...

A young Indian(Native American) boy came forward and offered the prayer that included something about helping the sound to work again so that they could hear the words from the leaders, blah blah yadda yadda..

AS SOON as the boy closed the prayer, mere micro seconds after the follow up AMEN from the congregation, the speakers crackled, popped, and magically came back to life and whaa-friggin-la they were all in absolute AWE!

"I felt the spirit that day, and I knew right then and there that I was in the only true church of god!!!", my FIL exclaimed, "That experience has been the ROCK which I have built my faith!"

Of course I asked, "Did they have an extended testimony meeting afterwards about this?"

"Yes they did! Of course!", he answered

"And how do you not know that the whole "technical" problem was just a setup?

*long pause*

*sound of testimonkey hitting the floor pink monkey butt first*

"Per, per, perhaaaps it was... I don't know.. All I know is it help me gain a testimoney and I don't care it was a setup...", he finished.

ROTFLMAO !
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Porter....you are one sick puppy.

The first thought when something happens is that someone set it up to manipulate someone? How do you live with that kind of cynicism?