And yet one more "never disagree with the Lord's annoin

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Scottie
_Emeritus

And yet one more "never disagree with the Lord's annoin

Post by _Scottie »

I went to the Def Leppard concert last night with my TBM friend. (Great show, by the way, Shades) There were lots of skimpy outfit there and she was disgusted by them. Believe it or not, she actually quoted Thomas S Monson's "women should dress appropriately as to not tempt the men." I disagreed with that. I stated a lot of what we have discussed here where men are responsible for their own actions. Finally, after much debate, she retreated to, "Well, an apostle of God said it, so it must be true!" This then shifted us into a discussion about whether it was ok to disagree with an apostle. She adamantly believes that you should, under no circumstances, disagree with an apostle. They are God's servants on earth, and we have covenanted to sustain our leaders, no matter what!

How in the world do apologists think that the rank and file don't believe this? I have honestly met so many TBM's that will claim this to be fact!
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Re: And yet one more "never disagree with the Lord's an

Post by _Mercury »

Scottie wrote:I went to the Def Leppard concert last night with my TBM friend. (Great show, by the way, Shades) There were lots of skimpy outfit there and she was disgusted by them. Believe it or not, she actually quoted Thomas S Monson's "women should dress appropriately as to not tempt the men." I disagreed with that. I stated a lot of what we have discussed here where men are responsible for their own actions. Finally, after much debate, she retreated to, "Well, an apostle of God said it, so it must be true!" This then shifted us into a discussion about whether it was ok to disagree with an apostle. She adamantly believes that you should, under no circumstances, disagree with an apostle. They are God's servants on earth, and we have covenanted to sustain our leaders, no matter what!

How in the world do apologists think that the rank and file don't believe this? I have honestly met so many TBM's that will claim this to be fact!

How are Mormons supposed to not question these tools and yet the "lords anointed" disagree with each other?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

Scottie wrote:I went to the Def Leppard concert last night with my TBM friend. (Great show, by the way, Shades) There were lots of skimpy outfit there and she was disgusted by them. Believe it or not, she actually quoted Thomas S Monson's "women should dress appropriately as to not tempt the men." I disagreed with that. I stated a lot of what we have discussed here where men are responsible for their own actions. Finally, after much debate, she retreated to, "Well, an apostle of God said it, so it must be true!" This then shifted us into a discussion about whether it was ok to disagree with an apostle. She adamantly believes that you should, under no circumstances, disagree with an apostle. They are God's servants on earth, and we have covenanted to sustain our leaders, no matter what!

Any apologist who claims Mormons don't have to obey their leaders is in serious denial.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Scottie wrote:They are God's servants on earth, and we have covenanted to sustain our leaders, no matter what!

I am not sure that sustaining a church leader means that I agree with everything they tell me. I "sustain" politicians quite often, but many times they vote for things, or do things I do not agree with... Clinton is a prime example. Though I think he was one of the greatest presidents after FDR, I do not agree w/him getting his knob slobbed by Monica. Take (for another example) Mitt Romney. I agree with a large chunk of his platform, but I do not agree with his "pro-life" stance. I think sustaining means that you believe they are worthy of the calling they have and that they can execute it properly.

Scottie wrote:How in the world do apologists think that the rank and file don't believe this? I have honestly met so many TBM's that will claim this to be fact!

Its scary that people would do something just because this "church leader" told them so without thinking about it, pondering it, even do so little as to pray about it to receive revelation. These same people would "drink the cool-aid" so to speak if told to do so.
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:Any apologist who claims Mormons don't have to obey their leaders is in serious denial.

Or maybe they walk the full path to receive testimony of the truthfulness of what they are being told.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Nephi wrote:
SatanWasSetUp wrote:Any apologist who claims Mormons don't have to obey their leaders is in serious denial.

Or maybe they walk the full path to receive testimony of the truthfulness of what they are being told.

Nephi, we have been over this. STRICT obedience to the law of the Lord is mandated for ALL worthy members. You are in sin if you stray one iota from "the truth".
Lost in time
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:

Nephi, we have been over this. STRICT obedience to the law of the Lord is mandated for ALL worthy members. You are in sin if you stray one iota from "the truth".

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean I am not still a member of the church. Very few people who are members follow everything the church teaches. I have been told that less than 30% of active members hold temple recommends. Grants, some are because they simply have not obtained a temple recommend, but many are because they stray from these teachings.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Nephi wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean I am not still a member of the church. Very few people who are members follow everything the church teaches. I have been told that less than 30% of active members hold temple recommends. Grants, some are because they simply have not obtained a temple recommend, but many are because they stray from these teachings.

What doctrines do you disagree with?
Lost in time
_Nephi

Post by _Nephi »

Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Nephi wrote:

What doctrines do you disagree with?

Heh... Guess you haven't been keeping up w/the Universalism thread over at MAD. I basically have two things I don't agree with in church doctrine. 1) That this is the only true church for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD. and 2) that Christ is the ONLY WAY BACK TO GOD FOR EVERYONE IN THE WORLD (both are in disagreement with my ideas of Universalism). I amend this to say that these are only true for specific people on specific paths.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

SatanWasSetUp wrote:

Any apologist who claims Mormons don't have to obey their leaders is in serious denial.

I'm in serious denial ;)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo