Faith and doubt

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Faith and doubt

Post by _Mercury »

If God is the only one who can test our faith then I guess I don't need God. And yet, its a sin for me to test my own faith through study and application of logical conclusions. Doubt is a sin in the eyes of all serious religion. It is inexcusable for doubt to appear in the mind of a Mormon. It is by their actions that placed the doubt in there. No one will pay but the sinner who doubts the reality given to the devotee of Mormonism, their life forever boxed in by a total obedience complex.

Stress is the tool Mormonism uses to devalue the judgement of the devotee. It is the worry placed on their minds that blocks out the contradictions shying away from the ultimately silly core principals of Mormonism. To hell with the fear of doubt. Proper recognition of doubt is what makes up a mentally healthy individual who can be free of stress and anxiety induced through false constructs and a patchwork collection of allegory.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

You don't seem to have faith. Why would you need to test it?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Nehor wrote:You don't seem to have faith. Why would you need to test it?
im talking of my time pre-enlightenment and the objections my family and some friends had to my doubt.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_JAK
_Emeritus

Re: Faith and doubt

Post by _JAK »

Mercury wrote:If God is the only one who can test our faith then I guess I don't need God. And yet, its a sin for me to test my own faith through study and application of logical conclusions. Doubt is a sin in the eyes of all serious religion. It is inexcusable for doubt to appear in the mind of a Mormon. It is by their actions that placed the doubt in there. No one will pay but the sinner who doubts the reality given to the devotee of Mormonism, their life forever boxed in by a total obedience complex.

Stress is the tool Mormonism uses to devalue the judgement of the devotee. It is the worry placed on their minds that blocks out the contradictions shying away from the ultimately silly core principals of Mormonism. To hell with the fear of doubt. Proper recognition of doubt is what makes up a mentally healthy individual who can be free of stress and anxiety induced through false constructs and a patchwork collection of allegory.

Mercury stated:
If God is the only one who can test our faith then I guess I don't need God.

Why assume God in your if construction. Unestablished entities are irrelevant. Consider your previous indoctrination. That’s likely where such a construction originates.

Mercury stated:
And yet, its a sin for me to test my own faith through study and application of logical conclusions. Doubt is a sin in the eyes of all serious religion.

Superstition and religious dogma are always threatened by “study” and by “application of logical conclusions.”

Mercury stated:
It is inexcusable for doubt to appear in the mind of a Mormon. It is by their actions that placed the doubt in there.

If you say so (sentence 1). ...have no idea what the second sentence means.

Mercury stated:
No one will pay but the sinner who doubts the reality given to the devotee of Mormonism, their life forever boxed in by a total obedience complex.

Point is unclear to me. Perhaps one must be a Mormon to understand.

Mercury stated:
Stress is the tool Mormonism uses to devalue the judgement of the devotee.

Well, it appears to work if your conclusion is correct. Those who rely on truth by assertion should be no threat to those who employ intellectual honesty in the accumulation of information.

However, indoctrination from cradle up is an effective “tool” to preclude rational consideration of information.

Mercury stated:
To hell with the fear of doubt.

Exactly

Mercury stated:
Proper recognition of doubt is what makes up a mentally healthy individual who can be free of stress and anxiety induced through false constructs and a patchwork collection of allegory.

Doubt is the father of discovery. The trick is to recognize “false constructs.” That is a matter of information/education. When one really knows the evolution of superstition to more organized religious myths such as exemplified in such university courses (not a religious college/university), --When one understands the historical/cultural context of such evolution, one may easily reject as “false constructs” such religious dogmas.

The first sentence is the general position from which discovery is made. Absent evidence for a conclusion, the conclusion should be rejected. Those who have made and will make discovery forward are those who make use of reliable information and build upon that information.

Religions/superstitious claims are irrelevant and are rejected or at the very least set aside in favor of clear, transparent, and even detailed data.

JAK